PDA

View Full Version : Painting Brakes

weefossy
22nd February 2009, 09:27 PM
As I can't afford Porshe brakes:ragin::D I was thinking of painting existing ones Red. Is there a post anywhere on this? Fi I'm sure you have done this?
Can you get them powder coated? Do you need special paint because of heat? Local mechanic friend suggested Hammerite Smooth?
Help / comments please.

Scottie
22nd February 2009, 09:31 PM
we just bought the brake caliper paint from motac car shop in stirling.

Smitty
22nd February 2009, 09:56 PM
Hammerite smooth finish is perfect for it - just lash it on. Needs a couple of coats to make it look good.

Make sure you rub them down before hand - wire brush and some emmery paper does the job :thumbs up:

weefossy
22nd February 2009, 10:14 PM
Thanks guys

Hamish
23rd February 2009, 08:37 AM
aye, i did a car with hammerite, it does the trick, exactly what smitty says... give em a good rub down n get all the cr*p off then slap it on! easy.

Big Gordy
23rd February 2009, 09:47 AM
Malcolm the only thing I found with hammerite smooth red is it dries slightly pinkish:frown: not the nice deep red as on the porsche calipers:argh: Maybe actual red caliper paint is better colour wise:confused: Just my tuppence worth:moonie:

lowrider
23rd February 2009, 09:19 PM
I bought manifold paint for my mk 1 golf gti(back in the day,well 'bout 10 years ago). Perfect for the job as it can deal with manifold temperatures, so won't peel or discolour when applied to the callipers. It is available in matt and gloss. I am going to do mine in the matt black as I like the look of the matt black against the shiny silver of the alloys !:D

clicky clicky

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=manifold+paint&x=34&y=12&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCmd?srch=caliper+paint&x=46&y=10&action=search&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&langId=-1

Fartin Martin
23rd September 2009, 12:57 AM
Does anyone know where I can get Lime Green caliper paint??..went to Halfords and they didn't have any and didn't know..I should have known TBH!!:lol: