PDA

View Full Version : power steering pumps

GCA3N
16th February 2009, 08:36 PM
Watching Watchdog just now and its all about mini power steering pumps. It is really bad what they are saying, they are saying that 1000's of mini's could be effected, has anyone here had many issues and what have they done about it?

Watchdog gave a freephone number for people concerned 0800 777 129

Craig
16th February 2009, 08:42 PM
Watching Watchdog just now and its all about mini power steering pumps. It is really bad what they are saying, they are saying that 1000's of mini's could be effected, has anyone here had many issues and what have they done about it?

power steering pumps on MINI's have been known to go on the earlier cars. quite a few folks have had to have theirs replaced. It ain't a cheap item either... :frown::frown:

Crombers managed to get his replaced FOC, having just to pay for the fitting (about £100 IIRC) ;)

GCA3N
16th February 2009, 08:52 PM
Is there any early warning signs for these going?

Craig
16th February 2009, 08:55 PM
Is there any early warning signs for these going?

The pumps are normally MUCH more noisier, but sometimes they just go without warning.. :frown::argh: Think that was what happened to crombers.. :rolleyes:

GCA3N
16th February 2009, 09:01 PM
I think this is really scary, I have tried the phone number but cannot get through:ragin:. It appears from watchdog that BMW are not owning up to anything, infact they are saying that the cars can be driven safely without the pump on, thus it is not linked to safety and will not recall the cars. Think this is a total get out, dissapointed with BMW, I just hope that it does'nt happen at a really bad time, I meen I have 215/35/18's and you cannot move the wheels when stationary, I know it will be easier when moving but don't fancy trying it to be honest:eek::ragin:

mikeythemini
16th February 2009, 09:41 PM
I have driven a Mini with a faulty pump, - one that would work/not work at random, when it went mid corner/roundabout it was very very dangerous. How they can say its not a safety thing is beyond me
Should be an interesting campaign - the renault clio one last year grew by thousands per week. Everyone who has had an issue should get in touch - regardless of wether they had to pay or warranty it so they can prove how bad the situation is
Then they can do a piece on the R56 engine death rattle ;)

Forbes
16th February 2009, 09:54 PM
Mine went last year just before F&M but luckly went as i drove off my drive

N12 JLK
16th February 2009, 10:04 PM
Lesley had a pair of power steering pumps but they gave her bunions.:rolleyes:

Craig
16th February 2009, 10:07 PM
this is the bbc clip....

WATCHDOG Power Steering Pumps (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/02/mini_steering_system_failures.html)

AeroJonny
16th February 2009, 10:34 PM
had one replaced last month...philthy did his gf's about 3 months ago too

countdown
16th February 2009, 11:37 PM
I've been lucky so far, no probs with my car.

How much is it for a new pump, expensive?

AndyP & Lenore
17th February 2009, 12:41 AM
had one replaced last month...

In your R56?:confused:

A.

Ivano
17th February 2009, 09:37 AM
A bit off topic... but i am loving that Orange coloured Cooper S in the BBC Clip on the track.. :thumbs up:

I don't think it is Play MINIs Demo car either

AeroJonny
17th February 2009, 01:06 PM
In your R56?:confused:

A.

haha, no...it seems to be one of the bits that actually work on the damn thing! It was on the R50 which has also had 3 steering columns since i've had it :sad:

Crombers
20th February 2009, 10:34 AM
Here's me story form last August :

On my way up to Pit Crew HQ ;), just before the Denny cut off, I noticed that my steering had suddenly become 'heavy'. Thankfully I was going in a straight line cos if this were to suddenly go whilst enjoying the twisties you'd get one helluva fright.
When I say heavy I mean it took a fair amount of heave to turn a bend & t-junctions were a riot (not!!). They required pre logistical positioning or taken at the widest route possible & it was skid mark time as kerbs loomed closer :frown:

"Ah well" said me, "that'll be a trip to the garage" & back I carefully trod to Glasgow South. After checking in with CraigD it became apparent that this was not gonna be a cheap 'visit to the garage' as the next morning it was suspected that the Power Steering Pump had probably given in & at £378 :eek: sir, a new part is yours (add the labour & the VAT & we are up to an eye watering £550 plus) :eek: !!

After contacting my local dealer (& a mechanic friend) it was put to me that giving BMW Customer Service a call was worth it to see if they would offer any kind of assistance as a measure of goodwill as parts such as these should not be prone to failure. I thought I'd be 'onto plumbs' on this one as my car is of June 04 vintage with 56K on the clock and is way out of warranty. My friend pointed out that in all his years as a Motor Engineer he could count the number of times he had replaced power steering pumps on two hands. "They do go" he said "but it's rare" which I thought interesting.

BMWCS advised me that as my MINI had had previous problems with the steering (new steering rack & column fitted whilst under warranty) I should contact Henry Bros/Douglas Park (who had done the previous warrantly work) to arrange a 'diagnostic check' for a wee look see.

Douglas Park were more than accomodating & my MINI was with them before midday on Wednesday. I received a call in the early afternoon to say that the pump had indeed failed & that DP would be liasing with BMW to see if any goodwill gesture could be offered. I thanked DP for their efforts & in discussion with them I also pointed out that I had spent a good few quid on the aerokit/TLCXL etc & that I had supported BMW in aftersales & it would be appeciated if any kind of reciprical offer were to be put on the table.

Mid afternoon & DP called to say that BMW would be willing to meet half the cost of the part but before I could say much they would be going back to BMW to re discuss the case as DP were of the opinion BMW may/could/should meet the full cost of the part. Customer service or what :thumbs up:

By the close of play that same day, DP called again to say that BMW had agreed that in this case they would pay for the part in full if I was prepared to pay for the diagnostic/labour/clips/fluids/clamps (£94 to you & me). A superb result or what :D & my £ontribution means that the part is warranted for two years.

It has to be said that Douglas Park were superb in this instance & I thanked them (more than once!) for their efforts.

I should also note that whilst it is more than worth giving BMW Customer Service a call in matters like these, every case is treated individually & that my previous steering problems, money spent on aftersales products, full service history etc would probably have been taken into account by BMW before making their decision.

lowrider
20th February 2009, 01:56 PM
Official word from the mini helpline is.....

'Symptons will be the steering will feel heavier than normal during operation (not on the motorway)' If you feel this is the case with your mini call Mini UK Customer Service line on 0800 777129.

There is no plan for a recall though they are monitoring the situation !:shut up:

Sounds like a cop out to me !

Craig
20th February 2009, 02:13 PM
that is just the way MINI are in the majority (throught my 6 years of MIN Ownership and 5 MINI's) It just seems that you have to FIGHT HARD for the smallest thing to get fixed.. :frown::argh:

I think nearly every person here could give an account of arguing or protesting about a problem not being sorted to their satisfaction.. :ragin:

it's the one thing I think MINI need to work on, cos other manufacturers get it right... Honda and Peugeot for me have been excellent when we have had any problems. :clap:

MartinSullivan
20th February 2009, 03:12 PM
If they do cave in to a recall where does those that paid for our cars to be repaired stand I wonder , mmm interesting will be keeping an eye on this.

When mine went , my dealer tried to claim that mini had never heard of this happening, I said that seemed odd and handed him a list of members of mini2 who had all complained to their dealers and Mini UK

Crombers
21st February 2009, 01:09 PM
Official word from the mini helpline is.....

'Symptons will be the steering will feel heavier than normal during operation (not on the motorway)

'Heavier' :eek:

Try doin a 3 point turn with a 'goosed' pump

I reckon they could have come up with better than 'heavier'

GCA3N
21st February 2009, 01:24 PM
I contacted BMW yesterday, to ask for advice. I spoke in length so I will give you a brief account. Basically they said they they have produced Millions ( yes Millions) of these cars (I did echo this to the person on the phone) and they have had only a handfull going wrong. I Stated that surely that was enough, i asked what would happen (now that this fault is in the open) if one fails and someone gets really hurt, or heaven forbid killed. They stated that it was not a safety issue ( I did argue but seemed to be in vain) Anyway he stated that if you have any issues or concerns regarding the pump, I was to take my car to the BMW garage and get the pump checked over. I asked who would have to pay for this, no guesses what he said. He did however state that if a fault was discovered (linked to a manufacturing issue) then the garage could contact them and work out some kind of solution, what ever that maybe. I think this whole issue is shocking from BMW and indeed told the guy on the phone. I was polite but it was the usual crap that you get from these people. Just to finish I wanted to ask is it normal to hear the pump when sationary and turning the wheel. I have had the car for over 2 years now and cannot remember it being quiet, or getting worse, but just wondered if this was normal?

Gismo
21st February 2009, 04:20 PM
Just to finish I wanted to ask is it normal to hear the pump when sationary and turning the wheel. I have had the car for over 2 years now and cannot remember it being quiet, or getting worse, but just wondered if this was normal?Yes, you can hear the pump when stationary, that's when the most load is put through the pump :yes nod:

nobbyclark
24th February 2009, 12:53 PM
Mine has been noisy (compared to my other car) since I bought it in Sept 02.

Stewart
24th February 2009, 07:26 PM
Not great news if you have an older Mini.:sad: My Cooper is a Dec 57 build so should be ok...but thats shocking in the WD Vid........

Mike_T
24th February 2009, 09:16 PM
I queried it when I bought the Mini and the dealer had had an email from BMW detailing the checks they had to do for any cars they sell.... so at least they're not denying it anymore!

Mike