PDA

View Full Version : 2003 mini cooper s

RICKYSTROUD
16th February 2009, 08:28 PM
aargh
i have just sold my mini cooper with 96000 miles on it , it was running great with no issues, i have now bought , after much searching , a 2003 14000ml cooper s after 2weeks i felt knocking from the steering at low speed i have had it checked and it seems to be steering rack, is this common on such a low milage and what are the costs/problems withfixing
thanks again

Craig
16th February 2009, 08:40 PM
Hi Ricky..

sorry to hear that, but it was a problem on the earlier cars, steering racks, columns and pumps so I am not surprised this has happened.. :frown:

As for the mileage, think it is a wear thing, rather than mileage done..

Bazthemod
16th February 2009, 08:45 PM
Cars pre-facelift (2004) seem to be plagued with this problem. My Mini one did this and it drove me mad... one of reasons i eventually jumped ship to an R56.

You can lube the steering column if you take off the cowling around the bottom of the steering wheel and this will solve the knocking until the lube dries up again.

I was told that to fix it requires a new steering column :sad:

GCA3N
16th February 2009, 08:55 PM
I also have this, to be honest it's not bad, sometimes it can be annoying though, might try that lubrication see if it works.

RICKYSTROUD
17th February 2009, 05:16 PM
Cars pre-facelift (2004) seem to be plagued with this problem. My Mini one did this and it drove me mad... one of reasons i eventually jumped ship to an R56.

You can lube the steering column if you take off the cowling around the bottom of the steering wheel and this will solve the knocking until the lube dries up again.

I was told that to fix it requires a new steering column :sad:

thanks
i lubed it today and new rack getting fitted under warranty,

GCA3N
17th February 2009, 06:12 PM
Took of the steering columb and put some lube on. Just a question though I lubed up the bearing and the pivot joint( can't remember correct name for it) is that correct ?