PDA

View Full Version : JC's Aberdeen

japper
15th February 2009, 06:38 PM
Not impressed

With John Clarks BMW in Aberdeen

Out of the last four visits ( 3 for engine rattle diagnosis, measurements and actual rework & 1 to code my new JCW seats ) they have managed to:

1. Dent in passenger door costing me to get Dent Devils to sort it
2. Dent in drivers side wing, again at my expense
3. Scratched all the top of the airbox, they are replacing this after a bit of a huff on their part
4. Now checking my oil level today and found out that my dipstick is buckled in two places and nearly in the sumphttp://www.mini2.com/forum/images/newsmilies/mad.gif

Any body would think they were cheaphttp://www.mini2.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif cost me £165 to get them to code the seats after I fitted them.

On top of this after i got it back from them doing the engine rattle fix, it had a weird rattling noise every so often on tickover. I took off all the induction side hoses and airbox again and refitted myself............aye ho, guess what ............no more rattles

Not going back, anybody recommend a decent dealer not too far away from me?.

euan
15th February 2009, 07:55 PM
Slightly off topic, but why on earth were you paying to fix things they did to your car, like the dent?

RyanK
15th February 2009, 08:30 PM
I also think they can be twats at times. Luckily I have not had my car damaged like yours but I've had a couple of things happen.

When my car went in to have the gearbox replaced they handed the car back to me and there were loads of rattles coming from the engine bay. I took it to a pit for a quick investigation and realised that they had not put 2 bolts in in order to secure the box!

GP went in for new brake pads. When I was washing the car the day after I was cleaning the calliper and found that the top of the calliper was loose. Quick snoop and noticed they never put the bolt in at the top to secure it!

Cost me £860 for a full service

Im sure theres more :ragin::argh:

GCA3N
15th February 2009, 08:54 PM
I know that I am a hands on person so it is easy fo me to say, but you guys need to start doing some of these jobs yourself, like pads and servicing.
I bought a haynes manual and do all this work myself. Wheel ramps, trolley jack (optional) socket set and a bit of determination to avoid these garages. I can do a full service(Oil, sparks, filters etc), break pads all the best of gear for £150.
Now I know there are the issues of getting stamps for books etc and even warranty issues, but what you have to weight up is the overall saving over a period against what you may loose in re-sale value when selling. It is so simple.
Take the pads £150 from local garage to do the job. I bought the pads direct £25 and done the job start to finish in under an hour. Not only satisfaction of doing it yourself but knowing that it is done right. I will throw this out to anyone wanting to learn how to do this yourself, I live in darkest ayrshire so let me know and I'll show you just how easy it is.

rpn
15th February 2009, 09:00 PM
Cost me £860 for a full service

Im sure theres more :ragin::argh:

That's the kind of figure I'll be looking at for my other car's service but definitely not for a Mini. :hand:

I don't go to JC to service my Mini anymore, its a 2003 car so warranty is out of date. I let my ex-neighbour, now in Belhevie, to look after the Mini. :thumbs up:

japper
15th February 2009, 09:25 PM
Slightly off topic, but why on earth were you paying to fix things they did to your car, like the dent?

Didn't notice the first one for a few days and know exactly where it happened. It was a windy day when i dropped off my car and i think somebody ( a visitor ) banged my car whilst in JC'S carpark. Second one was easier for me to pay £20 to get it sorted right.

I just do not trust these guys.....they're £100 / hr muppets.

Ryan, if i got my car back with bolts missing from my brake calipers, i'd be suing them not, not using them. That's pure negligence.

dellie
15th February 2009, 09:26 PM
I know that I am a hands on person so it is easy fo me to say, but you guys need to start doing some of these jobs yourself, like pads and servicing.
I bought a haynes manual and do all this work myself. Wheel ramps, trolley jack (optional) socket set and a bit of determination to avoid these garages. I can do a full service(Oil, sparks, filters etc), break pads all the best of gear for £150.
Now I know there are the issues of getting stamps for books etc and even warranty issues, but what you have to weight up is the overall saving over a period against what you may loose in re-sale value when selling. It is so simple.
Take the pads £150 from local garage to do the job. I bought the pads direct £25 and done the job start to finish in under an hour. Not only satisfaction of doing it yourself but knowing that it is done right. I will throw this out to anyone wanting to learn how to do this yourself, I live in darkest ayrshire so let me know and I'll show you just how easy it is.

Its okay if you know about cars, regardless if i bought a haynes manual or not i would not even attempt it. I wouldnt even let the hubby to be even near it, he's an IT technician not a mechanic, so i have to rely on garages for my servicing etc.

Fortunantly i have only used JC Aberdeen for my mot last year and was very impressed with how the car was treated and the quality of hire car we had for the day.

GCA3N
15th February 2009, 10:07 PM
Like I said , it just takes a bit of confidence. Here is an example, my wife showed me how to cook a curry at the weekend. Not from jar, all the spices etc, straight from a cook book etc. I found it really hard to do trying to get all the things ready and produce something that tastes good. Now on the other hand, last week I showed her how to change the brake pads on her Honda ( which was harder than the mini) on finishing she said "is that it" we both aggreed that cooking a curry was alot harder. Now I guess you could say that getting a curry wrong has less implications than doing the brake pads wrong (however you could argue doing either wrong could produce a dose of the squirts) I guess what I am trying to say is it only appears hard because you don't know how to do it. I'll tell you this staying at home looking after my daughter is a 1000 times harder than basic car mechanics. Lets be honest ( sorry to all those car mechanics out there) when was the last time you met a really intellegent one.....:ragin::eek::hand:

Craig
15th February 2009, 10:31 PM
I'll tell you this staying at home looking after my daughter is a 1000 times harder than basic car mechanics. Lets be honest ( sorry to all those car mechanics out there) when was the last time you met a really intellegent one.....:ragin::eek::hand:

I met one today called Craig Noble... ;):thumbs up: Nice guy, very talented. and seems to be intelligent. :smilewinkgrin:

The Dogfather
15th February 2009, 10:38 PM
I had a big fall out with JCs they did a service on my car, when I checked the details afterwards they noted that I had 7mm of tread on all my tyres. The fronts were nearly illegal, the rears were new.

I wrote to dealer principal after having a row with the service manager (w anchor), I got a groveling apology. Never took it back though.

GCA3N
15th February 2009, 10:41 PM
Never said there were none out there just not many, sorry Craig:rolleyes:

Forbes
16th February 2009, 01:33 AM
Sales are the worst i get... go in with my Dad and its a different story though

Parts and servicing used them for about 18months now and can't fault them other than outrageous labour charges that go up every time

Car is in tomorrow so my view may change

Forbes
16th February 2009, 01:36 AM
Any body would think they were cheaphttp://www.mini2.com/forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif cost me £165 to get them to code the seats after I fitted them.

Not going back, anybody recommend a decent dealer not too far away from me?.

They probably took them back out again to do it

There is always JC Tayside, who i have had a good experience every time i have dealt with them... especially the 2 that help on the site:thumbs up:
They might have the same name but they don't treat customers in the same way from my experiences

japper
16th February 2009, 08:33 AM
Sales are the worst i get... go in with my Dad and its a different story though

Parts and servicing used them for about 18months now and can't fault them other than outrageous labour charges that go up every time

Car is in tomorrow so my view may change

Hope they look after your car better than mine.

I'll maybe try JC's Dundee next time then, thanks:thumbs up:

moraymini
16th February 2009, 12:48 PM
Japper don't know where you are but CALTERDON in Inverness have always been first class with me.

MartinSullivan
16th February 2009, 05:03 PM
Japper, slightly :off topic: but who did you use to take your dents out??

Would you recommend them?

Ta :thumbs up:

euan
16th February 2009, 05:38 PM
Didn't notice the first one for a few days and know exactly where it happened. It was a windy day when i dropped off my car and i think somebody ( a visitor ) banged my car whilst in JC'S carpark. Second one was easier for me to pay £20 to get it sorted right.

I just do not trust these guys.....they're £100 / hr muppets.

Ryan, if i got my car back with bolts missing from my brake calipers, i'd be suing them not, not using them. That's pure negligence.

Fair enough, but it was still on their premise it happened, at the very least i'd have been after a contribution to my costs. However, if you can't be sure it happened there (i.e., telling them at the time you pick the car up) I can imagine they wouldn't want anything to do with it, I know if it was my company I'd not pay it in those situations.

I always check the car when I pick it up from the stealers now to make sure I tell them anything that's wrong with it. Doesn't help you thought I'm afraid!

japper
16th February 2009, 05:41 PM
Japper, slightly :off topic: but who did you use to take your dents out??

Would you recommend them?

Ta :thumbs up:

Highly Recommend Martin Burke @ Dent Devils

PM me if you want his mobile no.

Not had your car in JC'S i hope:rolleyes:

japper
16th February 2009, 05:47 PM
Fair enough, but it was still on their premise it happened, at the very least i'd have been after a contribution to my costs. However, if you can't be sure it happened there (i.e., telling them at the time you pick the car up) I can imagine they wouldn't want anything to do with it, I know if it was my company I'd not pay it in those situations.

I always check the car when I pick it up from the stealers now to make sure I tell them anything that's wrong with it. Doesn't help you thought I'm afraid!

I know what you mean, and i do try and check, but with the weather the cars usually dirty ( no i don't let the stealer clean it either:eek:)

Also, you don't expect the muppets to damage your dipstick:argh:

euan
16th February 2009, 06:17 PM
I know what you mean, and i do try and check, but with the weather the cars usually dirty ( no i don't let the stealer clean it either:eek:)

Also, you don't expect the muppets to damage your dipstick:argh:

Agreed - that's one thing I wouldn't check!!! If the car is filthy it's even harder to see marks, one of those things I guess.

Forbes
16th February 2009, 10:12 PM
Well i got my car back. No damage but they tried to charge me £40 above their estimate:thud: 2 secs later it was back down though... cheeky buggers:ragin:

My main niggle with them is their customer service. They don't treat everyone the same.

Have any young people bought a Mini from them?

RyanK
16th February 2009, 10:20 PM
I feel what your saying regarding being young. Im in the same boat as you, I walk in with my dad and I get treated a million times better

Garage is full of snobs (not the staff), but the customers. This is one of the reasons I hate going up lol

dellie
17th February 2009, 09:58 AM
Prob helps that when i take the car there my partner drops it off, suppose almost being 30 has it advantages LOL

Doug_m
17th February 2009, 07:33 PM
I was in yesterday, ordered new stickers for my aero kit rear bumper and found the guys spot on!

Got speakin to one of the salesmen (tony i think he was) and you couldnt of got a better bloke, stood and spoke to him for an hour and a half about cars. i wasnt intrested in buying a car, he knew that from the start and continued to speak away...

parts guy was fine too

japper
17th February 2009, 07:51 PM
I was in yesterday, ordered new stickers for my aero kit rear bumper and found the guys spot on!

Got speakin to one of the salesmen (tony i think he was) and you couldnt of got a better bloke, stood and spoke to him for an hour and a half about cars. i wasnt intrested in buying a car, he knew that from the start and continued to speak away...

parts guy was fine too

How can you truly judge a place when your just buying a spare part:confused:

Tony is the best sales guy i've come across and very helpful:yes nod:

Doug_m
18th February 2009, 07:07 PM
How can you truly judge a place when your just buying a spare part:confused:

Tony is the best sales guy i've come across and very helpful:yes nod:

im not judgeing the place, just giving my opinion on what the only thing i have dealt with them about... sorry for voiceing my say :argh:

iain cooper
20th February 2009, 05:23 PM
Like I said , it just takes a bit of confidence. Here is an example, my wife showed me how to cook a curry at the weekend. Not from jar, all the spices etc, straight from a cook book etc. I found it really hard to do trying to get all the things ready and produce something that tastes good. Now on the other hand, last week I showed her how to change the brake pads on her Honda ( which was harder than the mini) on finishing she said "is that it" we both aggreed that cooking a curry was alot harder. Now I guess you could say that getting a curry wrong has less implications than doing the brake pads wrong (however you could argue doing either wrong could produce a dose of the squirts) I guess what I am trying to say is it only appears hard because you don't know how to do it. I'll tell you this staying at home looking after my daughter is a 1000 times harder than basic car mechanics. Lets be honest ( sorry to all those car mechanics out there) when was the last time you met a really intellegent one.....:ragin::eek::hand:

very well put Greig.................agree with everything !!

Crombers
21st February 2009, 12:34 PM

Go on then, what's the recipe for the curry :smilewinkgrin:

GCA3N
21st February 2009, 12:45 PM
Better talkin to the wife when it comes to this, it was however very nice, a tad on the hot side though.;)