PDA

View Full Version : Works Bus - Best car ever

weefossy
12th February 2009, 10:22 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/WorksBus.jpg
Well it's time to change my work car, always referred to as The Bus. It's 4 years old and done 97K miles and it's the best car I have ever had.:sad: Never missed a beat despite being hammered up and down the country. Never had a rattle and never had any niggles. Apart from routine tryes, brakes and servicing the only thing that has gone wrong is 1 light bulb. According to my expenses, petrol consumption has averaged 31 mpg.
Great car:bigwave::clap:
Only down side was the £320 tax I paid every month.

I was thinking of replacing it with a 3 series tourer as I don't need as big a car, but Sioban and Neil have persuded me to go for something a little bit more "sporty", so it is a choice between the
A5
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/audiA5.png

and the 320 coupe
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c394/weefossy/BMWCoupe320sport-1.jpg
I think it will be the 320 Coupe 2.0 M Sport auto because I like the BMW and the interior, seats and general feel is better. Only thing that I liked better about the A5 was that it was different, but I thought the interior was a bit old fashioned. Comments appreciated

john
12th February 2009, 10:35 PM
I had a 330d touring it was fantastic, same engine as X5 and much lighter

and 50mpg on a run:thumbs up:

weefossy
12th February 2009, 10:41 PM
there's a lot more power in the 330d, but it is just too dear with all the extras I want. Also too big a tax bill for me.

john
12th February 2009, 11:00 PM
Go buy an Alfa Brera :thumbs up:

The Dogfather
12th February 2009, 11:40 PM
I'd go with the BMW, you liked the 5 Series so stick with what you know. Mind you I wouldn't mind a new TT

KenL
12th February 2009, 11:48 PM
I have had loads of BMW loan cars and never been that impressed, especially with the interior. Not particularyl impressed with the drive either - but they are totally different from MINI.

Audis are much better quality inside from what I have seen.

I do like both those cars but hate the "chavvy" fairy lights on the latest Audis.

If it is a company car - why waste money on extras?

GCA3N
13th February 2009, 12:05 AM
Both are lovely i think it's all done to personal choice for me the A5 pushes it mostly because it is not the obvious choice, I think it's got a wee bit more class, tough choice to make, life's a bitch:laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
13th February 2009, 12:16 AM
Had a look round a few Audi's recently and they all strike me as boring granddad cars - and TBH, really not as well put together as you'd like.

Loved all the BMW's we've had as courtesy cars from the dealers. Interior quality is top notch and the drive is absolutely solid.

Like John says, the 330d is an amazing engine, but adds to the cost.

For a choice of manufacturer I'd go BMW all the way, which model is more of a personal thing.

A.

Scottie
13th February 2009, 12:29 AM
Are you limited to the brand of car. i..e do you have a list which you have to pick from and a band.

If not I would buy the new Volvo XC60.

AndyP & Lenore
13th February 2009, 01:07 AM
If not I would buy the new Volvo XC60.

Was behind an XC60 today at a filling station. It's growing on me.:thumbs up:

A.:D

illegalhunter
13th February 2009, 08:02 AM
320 for me Malcom

Craig
13th February 2009, 08:22 AM
BMW gets my vote Malcolm. :thumbs up:

you could go for the coupe convertible option and get the wind in yer hair of a morning. ;):yes nod::yes nod:

A friend of mine and Marky's was looking for a new car and went round all the dealerships and he is a real driver and just said the drive in the A5 was numb and not very nice at all. He ended up buying a 530d M Sport with lots of toys.. :yes nod::yes nod:

zimbo
13th February 2009, 09:52 AM
Malcolm I think both of these are nice looking cars and I would love either, but have never driven either though. I do love the fact that the new Audis have these day running lights which is good for safety reasons (which all manufacturers will end up doing I think)

But Malcolm in the end it is you that has to live with the car for another 4 years or so, so just depends on which you think you could live with for that period without hankering for something else :thumbs up:

Either way you are going to be a happy man.

Good luck

Crombers
13th February 2009, 10:50 AM
Beemer :thumbs up:

Gismo
13th February 2009, 10:59 AM
Beemer :thumbs up: get yourself along to the site sponsor and get a crackin deal :smilewinkgrin:

Mini Ecosse
13th February 2009, 11:36 AM
Beemer :thumbs up:

euan
13th February 2009, 06:22 PM
Much as I like the look of the A5, I'd buy the BMW. But then, I have a BMW so you'd expect that! I like the Audi's, they are getting better looking and there are less A5 on the road than BMW coupes, but they just don't do anything for me, even the S5 leaves me cold. At least with the BMW you get the handling benefits of RWD as you'll be used to that from the 5 series.

AeroJonny
13th February 2009, 06:42 PM
I know a guy who's got an S5 and it's in and out of the dealer's workshop like a yoyo, it's got to be a major consideration with a company car. That being said, I don't know much about the Bimmer.

I'd have the BMW over the A5, but an S5 over the Beemer.

All in all that's no use...welcome to my world ;)

badwolf340
13th February 2009, 08:05 PM
Malcolm,go for the E92,really good car,and very nice to drive,and have you considered the twin turbo Diesel or has it got to be petrol:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

Neil and Lorna
13th February 2009, 11:24 PM
Stick with a BMW

Neil

AeroJonny
14th February 2009, 12:29 AM
Malcolm,go for the E92,really good car,and very nice to drive,and have you considered the twin turbo Diesel or has it got to be petrol:thumbs up::thumbs up::thumbs up:

yeah, i heard the 335d is faster than the E46 M3

MrMischief
14th February 2009, 12:34 AM
Have you thought about the 123d Coupe? Quite a funky little car, and reasonably nippy, as long you don't need too big a boot for work purposes.

euan
14th February 2009, 10:52 AM

Wouldn't surprise me - the 335D has something like 280BHP and 400+lbft torque against the M3s 340bhp!

Actually, as someone els said - what about a 123d? Bit more special (engine wise) than a 320?

badwolf340
14th February 2009, 12:51 PM
dont have to get 335d ,E90/92 320D is twin turbo and a very nice car with VERY good MPG:thumbs up:

badwolf340
14th February 2009, 12:53 PM
Or what about a Alpina D3, that's a nice car ,both in E90 or E92:yes nod::yes nod:

Gismo
14th February 2009, 01:10 PM
Or what about a Alpina D3, that's a nice car ,both in E90 or E92:yes nod::yes nod:Or the Alpina B3, there's a nice one in John Clark's with Malcolm's name on it :yes nod:

zimbo
14th February 2009, 01:43 PM
Or the Alpina B3, there's a nice one in John Clark's with Malcolm's name on it :yes nod:

And it's black if remember correctly... :yes nod:

weefossy
17th February 2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Have gone for the Beamer in 320M sport. Accept it isn't fast but It's the best combination for what I need. It's also about right tax and fuel consumption wise. Alan, can't use local dealers, it has to come from Alphabet via Wilmslow.
Mind you they are delivering and collecting a test drive car, that I'm having for the weekend.
Hope it's as good a car as the last one.

Craig
17th February 2009, 10:00 PM
sounds great Malcolm. :thumbs up: what colour did you go for?

weefossy
20th February 2009, 10:11 PM
Alpine White with black leather inside

Craig
20th February 2009, 10:46 PM
Alpine White with black leather inside

very nice.. one of my friends has just bought one very similar from our local dealer.. :rolleyes:;)