Big Col
20th April 2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks to the Mod that moved this. Not had my morning coffee yet. :I

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 06:09 PM
OK, I'll ask - what about a diesel Skoda? :question:

Big Col
20th April 2004, 08:27 PM
It beat a MINI cooper round a track on Fifth Gear last night.

duncan
20th April 2004, 09:31 PM
Yeah, but come on, hot diesel hatches is hardly a new topic!
Take the Peugeot D Turbo, VW TDi, and even some of the new Ford TDCi engines are pretty quick.

And as they said, the Skoda couldnt handle as well as the Cooper, so its very much track dependant, whether its got a few decent straights, or not.
And as they took the top of the range VRS Skoda, why wasnt it matched against the top of the range MINI, ie, the S?
Ok its two and a half grand more, but putting a car with 130Bhp against a Cooper of 115 is like comparing apples and oranges.

I'm not mocking the Skoda, its a decent car. It is rather plasticy inside, and that large grille needs a bit more styling.

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 10:05 PM
A Skoda TDi beat a Cooper round a track !? who was driving the Cooper - a blind half wit?. Even with 15bhp more power the Cooper should have easily won with a petrol engine and great handling. I've followed and kept up with much more powerful cars on twisty roads in my Cooper (Scooby, Audi TT, Merc, BMW, etc) - and yes they were trying - so hard a few nearly lost it on the corners.

Starky
20th April 2004, 10:31 PM
Tiff Needal.

Wul
21st April 2004, 12:55 AM
I kept up with the ford mundane TDCI 130's we have at work no probs in my cooper, and then zoomed past them as soon as we got near corners or roundabouts! :p

Had a shot in them too - great torquey motors but the 6-speed box could do with being semi automatic as you get tired changing gear every second!

DNV122
22nd April 2004, 04:47 AM
Tiffany Dell - He is such a twat on a circuit.