PDA

View Full Version : Runflats on 5th Gear

gcampbell
20th April 2004, 04:26 PM
Anyone see the Runflat tyre piece in 5th Gear last night???

Don't care how much extra the rubber costs... it must be worth it!!

However old Tiff could've done a better job in the Mini Vs Skoda!:(

GAJ
20th April 2004, 04:41 PM
The ride with runflats is rubbish though and the grip with the Goodyear NCTs is poor too. I've never tried the Dunlops. Since changing to non runflats I've noticed less road noise and a lot more grip.

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 05:37 PM
Hi Graeme. What did they say about runflats in 5th gear? We don't get channel 5 here.

gcampbell
20th April 2004, 08:09 PM
Duncan...

It was an article showed a blow out on normal tyres (police car doing 95mph!!! very scary!) then it went onto showing what happens when u suffer a front tyre blow out and a rear tyre blow out... Fundamentally in both instances the car lost control and spun!

Tiff then drove a new BMW 5 series with all 4 runflats punctured round the race circuit (he was hitting 90mph whilst cornering...!!) Although more unstable than infalted tyres, it was amazing to see how fast he could go and still be in control...!

No prices were mentioned but they quoted "10 - 15% more expensive for runflat tyres" as guidance...

KenL
20th April 2004, 08:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by gcampbell

No prices were mentioned but they quoted "10 - 15% more expensive for runflat tyres" as guidance...

I think most people would say they are a LOT more than 15% extra over the cost of regular tyres unfortunately.

Big Gordy
20th April 2004, 08:44 PM
quote:The ride with runflats is rubbish though
I don't find much difference between the standard 15" Michelin's on my steelies and my 17" Dunlop runflats on my alloys to be honest albeit the 'One' suspension is a bit more forgiving :p:D:approve:

quote:grip with the Goodyear NCTs is poor too
I've got NCT's all round on my Mondeho and they give excellent grip and about 28,000 miles out of the front pair which ain't bad.
Grip wise the worst tyre I've ever had were Dunlop SP Sports. They were crap in the damp/wet. I spun my Mondeo on the M74 off ramp at Glasgow Zoo :eek: and I wasn't going THAT fast.............scared the crap out of me I can tell you. That part of the motorway is 2 flyovers high.......big drop :dead: luckily it was early one Sunday morning and it spun within the 2 lanes and never hit anything....phew :I
Best tyres have to be Yokohama A008R :D Fan-bloody-tastic :p only got 8,500 miles though :p:D:approve:

Willie M
20th April 2004, 09:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I've never tried the Dunlops. Since changing to non runflats I've noticed less road noise and a lot more grip.
But then, you do have an exceptionally lovely set of wheels and tyres Gary ;)
Seriously, I've yet to drive a tyre that grips better in the wet than the Goodyear F1's :approve: If Stouffer was here he could testify to that.

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 10:13 PM
How common are "Blow outs" - I've must have done a million miles by now and never suffered one. Even recently when my tyre sidewall was ripped open by some debris on the road the tyre still just went down quickly - did not "blow out" - and I was fully in control - just pulled to the side a bit.

Starky
20th April 2004, 10:21 PM
Yep, seen the article, i think it's a fine balance between performance and safety and i'll stick with the runflats, they can only get cheaper as they become more "mainstream".

gcampbell
20th April 2004, 10:30 PM
Whats the going rate for a 16" runflat... I'm still on my originals??
(16" mini 5 star alloys..)

duncan
20th April 2004, 10:47 PM
Its now about £100 a tyre i seem to think.

It was £160 each when i had to replace the front 2 on mine over a year ago.

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 11:23 PM
About £130 to £150 per tyre fitted . Tyres only on the internet - about £110 (£60 for a non runflat or just £34 for a 15 inch pirelli). I'm sticking with my 15s.:clown:

Monsta Mo Mini
20th April 2004, 11:56 PM
Graeme

Shop a around but the Kwik-fit across at McDonald Road did BOTH my fronts with Pirelli 17" run-flats for £160 fitted!

Wul
21st April 2004, 12:47 AM
Kwik fit mobile do the 16" Goodyears for about £80 plus VAT.

Starky
21st April 2004, 03:03 AM
Was just checking prices on tyreson-line who stressed that the prices quoted were for uk mainland delivery only, get this.... surcharge for Scotland £9.40, where the F*ck do they think Scotland is? Ignorramusses, GGRRRR, FRREEEDDDOOOMMM!

GAJ
21st April 2004, 03:35 AM
I think you may have read the site wrongly. Tyres-online simply link to black circle. There are two prices - the all inclusive fitted price and the mail order price. The mail order price does not include delivery. Delivery costs £9.40 whether you buy one tyre or four and whether you are in Aberdeen or Aldershot. Unless I ahve got it wrong.....

Wul
21st April 2004, 04:36 PM
My brother was telling me since selling up kwik-fit, Tom Farmer has opened up two tyre centres in Edinburger! Apparently he was £25 per tyre cheaper than K-F and while he was in there he's advertising tyres for the New MINI! Maybe worth a try?
One in the old maidenscraig garage(Blackhall near the Holiday Inn) and one is on St Johns Road.
http://www.farmerautocare.com

They only do wheels and tyres, and you get free latte's and broadband t'nternet when your waiting! :D

Starky
21st April 2004, 10:43 PM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

I think you may have read the site wrongly. Tyres-online simply link to black circle. There are two prices - the all inclusive fitted price and the mail order price. The mail order price does not include delivery. Delivery costs £9.40 whether you buy one tyre or four and whether you are in Aberdeen or Aldershot. Unless I ahve got it wrong.....
Gaj, click on www.tyresonline.net and then click on tyre prices, prices cover the "mainland" delivery to Scotland is £9.40 EXTRA, B*ST**DS, i'm sure Ad. standards agency might be able to nail them for that.:mad::mad:

GAJ
21st April 2004, 11:20 PM
Apologies! I was looking at http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/

Starky
22nd April 2004, 02:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Monsta Mo Mini

Graeme

Shop a around but the Kwik-fit across at McDonald Road did BOTH my fronts with Pirelli 17" run-flats for £160 fitted!
Monsta that looks a really good price, did they balance them as well?

Julz
22nd April 2004, 03:54 AM
One thing that has always had me curious with the runflats, and slap me if I'm missing something really obvious here, BUT.... when wee neds nick your car :eek: and police chase them, if it comes to the old stinger being flung under your wheels, with runflats would it not make absolutely sod all difference?? <slap>:blackeye::eek::)

duncan
22nd April 2004, 04:12 AM
quote:Originally posted by Julz

One thing that has always had me curious with the runflats, and slap me if I'm missing something really obvious here, BUT.... when wee neds nick your car :eek: and police chase them, if it comes to the old stinger being flung under your wheels, with runflats would it not make absolutely sod all difference?? <slap>:blackeye::eek::)

I wondered about that too, but i don't think that many Novas have runflats for the cops to worry about.
Robbers in getaway cars probably are the only beneficiaries!

lightbody
28th April 2004, 03:45 AM
I would describe my NCT's grip as immense! Seriously impressed!