PDA

View Full Version : Software Advice

Gismo
10th February 2009, 07:15 PM
In the background i'm working on a wee website revamp, sorry, it aint' gonna be massively professional, but, it will be all my own work :blush:

Anyways, i'm keen to learn some aspects of some of the more snazzy stuff.

If you look at the home page there is a revolving banner of the sponsors, except Chris Knott insurance which i'm hoping to add.

I have all the animated gif files for each sponsr and simply want to create one file with all of them with the ability to add or remove a sponsor if required.
The file needs to be the same as the current one, ie a rolling banner showing each sponsor's banner.

So my question, which relatively cheap software package can i buy to allow me to do what i've said above and how easy is it to do for a complete flash??? novice?

bazzaric
10th February 2009, 07:23 PM
I've never realised there was a front page!

Depends how 'snazzy' you wan't it to be. Basically, at the moment it's an animated Gif. You can create these really easily with free software such as http://picasion.com/ or something.

you can use javascript to give you a similar impression, but if you want to get really snazzy you should be embedding flash. This will look the business and allow you to make decent banners etc, but the two considerations are the cost of the software (unless your a pirate :thumbs up:) and the size of the file. This will impact those on dial up or gprs type services. A small banner wouldn't be too much of an issue. If you want me to give you a demo on Flash, give me a shout.

There are some other good features you can add with flash, like when someone puts the mouseover it can expand or stop the 'slideshow'. It means you can also make each of the images a clicky to direct them to a different website.

EDIT: Just realised it's already done in 'flash' (banner_images/front_banner.swf)

bazzaric
10th February 2009, 07:27 PM
Just also noted there are sites like: http://www.123-banner.com/creator.php?ba=p

Who say they can do all the hard work for you for free. Not sure how that works though, I'm guessing it's a clicky to their site or something

Gismo
10th February 2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the tips, i'm looking at using Swish to create the banner.
What i really wanna know is can i take what i've already got and add the Chris Knott animated gif to it, or, take all the animated gif's and make one rolling flash banner.
Swish ain't cheap and i don't want to buy it and it can't do what i want it to do :eek:
And me, a pirate :frown: never, honest as the day i was born ;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th February 2009, 11:46 PM
Emailed you re this.

You can add in each individual gif file and Swish will create a single flash animation for you.

A.:D

bazzaric
11th February 2009, 09:12 AM
not sure on swish, but you could check the timings of the rolling gif and just make the new one last for a quarter of the rest if that makes sense?

bazzaric
11th February 2009, 09:13 AM
Sorry, i'm being stupid. you obviously still have each of the images individually, so just use swish with the 5(?) images :argh:

Gismo
11th February 2009, 09:50 AM
Sorry, i'm being stupid. you obviously still have each of the images individually, so just use swish with the 5(?) images :argh:Easy when you say it like that :blush: i'll have to try it out and see if i can make it work.
It seems that Swish is more than just a flash programme, i already have a web site builder programme

bazzaric
11th February 2009, 10:23 AM
I could maybe sort something out for you this evening if you wish, just the 5 images from the sponsor forums?

What size?

Gismo
11th February 2009, 10:57 AM
I could maybe sort something out for you this evening if you wish, just the 5 images from the sponsor forums?

What size?Well i'd really like to know how to do it, but, in order for me to carry on with the site i would appreciate it, yes, all 5, max size = 468 x 60 pixels

Gismo
11th February 2009, 07:01 PM
Some kind guy on his sick bed has risen from the depth of illness to make the flash movie for me :thumbs up:

Crombers
12th February 2009, 11:01 AM
Some kind guy on his sick bed has risen from the depth of illness to make the flash movie for me :thumbs up:

He'll no doubt be wanting to wax one of his bloody cars now :rolleyes:

Craig
12th February 2009, 11:10 AM
He'll no doubt be wanting to wax one of his bloody cars now :rolleyes:

nah, he did that yesterday, but he will have to "pay for it" on sunday... :Whistle::clap:

AndyP & Lenore
12th February 2009, 11:17 AM
Lies, lies, lies. All of it LIES. I did NOT wax may car. I only washed it then gave it a diamondbrite conserver coating. And Ian King (King of shine) even came by to make sure I did it properly.:thumbs up:

A.:D