PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Diesel fuel consumption?

korky
10th February 2009, 05:47 PM
My other half is contemplating a Cooper D as the published fuel economy figures are so good. However, my R56 Cooper only manages 45 to 47 mpg on a mixed route (and I drive fairly eco-styleeee). The published figure is about 53 mpg. So, in the real world, what sort of fuel efficiency are people getting with their Doopers?

Apologies if this has all been posted before, but I searched and couldn't find it!

:bigwave:

ajamesj
10th February 2009, 09:08 PM
On a run from Arbroath to Glasgow to Perth to Pitlochry back to Arbroath on Sunday (We were bored lol) we averaged 65mpg and I was not hanging about lol.
The best we have had out of our Dooper is 72mpg when we travelled from Dumfries to Arbroath last year.
The worst we have every had is 51mpg but that is usually travelling on dual carriageway and then getting stuck in tail backs for about half an hour.

Hope this is of helps

Andy

KenL
10th February 2009, 10:18 PM
Has your other half considered how the increased cost works out against the mileage per year?

Yes, better fuel consumption but with diesel costing more and the car £1k (?) more expensive it can take a lot of miles to get the initial outlay back.

The diesel figures and reviews I've read are good though.

Stewart
11th February 2009, 12:33 AM
I weighed all this up at the time as well then went for the petrol Cooper. I got 58 MPG on a run last year although in short trips around town its sitting at 38 MPG. I probably could have got it over 60MPG if I had not been enjoying the car on the run all tthe same and if it had not been up in the twisty roads to fortwilliam.

Big Gordy
11th February 2009, 09:13 AM
I think I read somewhere that they recon you need to do in the region of 25,000 miles a year to make a diesel pay for itself ie to cover extra cost of car and fuel. Don't remember how long they based ownership over...probably 3 years.

Crombers
11th February 2009, 10:13 AM
I think I read somewhere that they recon you need to do in the region of 25,000 miles a year to make a diesel pay for itself ie to cover extra cost of car and fuel. Don't remember how long they based ownership over...probably 3 years.

My recollection was 20K per annum over 3 years.

Big Gordy
11th February 2009, 12:04 PM
You may be right Alan:thumbs up: I was going from memory as I never paid much attention too it:rolleyes: I've never bought a car yet (probably never will) based on its economy:moonie: I know they put the mileage you had to do in a diesel up recently tho to make it cost effective:Whistle:

korky
11th February 2009, 03:38 PM
Has your other half considered how the increased cost works out against the mileage per year?

Yes, better fuel consumption but with diesel costing more and the car £1k (?) more expensive it can take a lot of miles to get the initial outlay back.

The diesel figures and reviews I've read are good though.
He is at least planning to do the maths: that's why he wants real world figures. When I did the same, I used the published figures for the petrol and the diesel and went for petrol, but then I only do about 9000 miles a year. And it seems my car gets through a bit more fuel than mini say it should. Suspect he is just trying to justify a mini. If we go out together at the weekend the phrase "shall we take 'my car' or 'THE mini'" is never far from his lips. "What, you mean you want to drive MY mini?" is never far from mine...

Thanks all for your replies!

ajamesj
11th February 2009, 10:22 PM
I have just clocked up 25000 miles in 15 months so doing well with getting the best out my dooper lol. :D

And still loving it even after having a Cooper S for 2 years

zimbo
13th February 2009, 09:37 AM
Well the best figures I've had that I can remember was 76.7 MPG... :clap:Got photographic proof too somewhere!! lol