PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy fuel guage

macblob
20th April 2004, 01:13 AM
Ohh well yet another warranty trip to Dunedin on Friday for me, Got in the car this am and the fuel guage never sprang into life , with the low fuel light on and no action from the needle, depite having a nearly full tank of petrol.

Hoping it will be a simple electrical prob that doesnt involve taking the entire enterior of the dash apart.

Only seem to manage about 3 months of hassle free motoring before yet another thing fails or breaks.

Yet another nail in the coffin from point of view of buying another MINI.

KenL
20th April 2004, 04:00 AM
That should be easily fixed Brian hopefully.

3 months without a problem - not bad :eek:

Any further thoughts on what you are getting next?

macblob
20th April 2004, 04:22 AM
Really not too sure Ken , getting more and more annoyed by the continuing problems that appear with the MINI.

Been considering a few options, Seat Cupra 1.8 Turbo (180bhp) and the toyota celica are a couple of maybes. Need to be second hand though.... a yr or 2 yrs old , will wait and see , I need to go and test drive a few cars

Willie M
20th April 2004, 03:24 PM
No luck with the fuel gauge Brian :( Hope it gets fixed without any further hassle.

KenL
20th April 2004, 04:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by macblob

Been considering a few options, Seat Cupra 1.8 Turbo (180bhp) and the toyota celica are a couple of maybes. Need to be second hand though.... a yr or 2 yrs old , will wait and see , I need to go and test drive a few cars

I know a new car is more expensive but I have vowed never again to own a car outside of warranty as they are so complex these days even the simplest fault can cost two arms & three legs to get fixed.

How about a new Hyundai Coupe - A really excellent looking car that gets good reviews. Comes with a 5 year warranty now too ;)

GAJ
20th April 2004, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear about the problems Brian.

Duncan Stewart
20th April 2004, 05:35 PM
I'm sure you would be fine with a new Mini Brian. The current build seems to be much better than the early build. I've done 20K miles now in 12 months with only 1 problem.

macblob
21st April 2004, 12:35 AM
Feul guage was working ok again today so car is still booked in for friday afternoon, but if it hasnt developed the same fault again by then not going to bother taking it in as they will find nothing wrong with it lol.

Might spend friday afternoon going to perth to have a look at a seat leon ive seen , maybe get a wee test drive , help me make my mind up

Wul
21st April 2004, 12:52 AM
Macblob - sounds similar to the temp gauge fault i had on my coop a few times - ended up in getting two new speedo clusters fitted - the OBC may have logged this fault for when you take it in to the dealer.

Like the leon - much the same as the A3 Audi (Same Dash) and nice in the dark gun metal silver or black - please tell me it's not a yellow one!:I - I chased one down the A720 this morning :p

Starky
21st April 2004, 03:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by KenL

quote:Originally posted by macblob

I know a new car is more expensive but I have vowed never again to own a car outside of warranty as they are so complex these days even the simplest fault can cost two arms & three legs to get fixed.

How about a new Hyundai Coupe - A really excellent looking car that gets good reviews. Comes with a 5 year warranty now too ;)
Ken you would double your trade in value of a hyindi thingi just by sticking that whalen of yours on it:p I've just ordered mine too by the way, should get it soonish.:cool:

macblob
21st April 2004, 04:36 AM
Its a nice dark grey one that ive spotted :D

We will see what i think of the drive if i manage to see it this weekend, also very dependant on what sort of price they will give me as a trade in on the wee coop

KenL
21st April 2004, 04:43 AM
Leon is a car I really like the look of. I was actually thinking of getting one of those before I caught the MINI bug.

What model is it Brian - there are so many of them I cannae keep track.

macblob
21st April 2004, 06:40 AM
Its the 1.8 Turbo Cupra

Second top of the range, only one above it is the Cupra R which is way out of my price range but does come with 225bhp as standard

KenL
21st April 2004, 08:07 PM
Brian,

My car is in Dundedin today for service and two small jobs.

I've got a new ONE courtesy car (BRG) and even though I've only driven it a few miles it feels like a completely different car. There are no rattles at all from the trim, the boot doesn't bang, the clutch is very light and the steering is also lighter and it doesn't whine so loudly.

All in all the car seems much better so if you still want another MINI it might not be such a bad idea.

To anyone who has a banging/rattling tailgate there is a completely new design in place at the factory which is hopefully being installed on mine today.

The tailgate striker has changed to a black one, the lock part is new and there is now a softer clear plastic lining that touches the striker. Also there are too additional very soft rubber bumpers fixed to where the rear bumper goes onto the car.

Wul
21st April 2004, 08:35 PM
Ken - that's exactly how mines is now on the MCS - takes a bit more of a push to close the boot lid, but no rattles!

Big Gordy
21st April 2004, 09:30 PM
For push read slam :eek: Our 'ONE' is a May03 build and it has no squeeks or rattles and the boot needs a 'soft' slam (ehhh!!!) to make sure it's shut. We also have the self locking door above 10mph and the double pull door handles to get out if the car is running, front glove box and small cubby hole under steering wheel. Don't know what the earlier ones had though so some of these might not be modification. It will be one year old in 3 weeks and we've done a WHOPPING 3,200 miles :p:D:approve:

Burple
21st April 2004, 10:06 PM
quote: It will be one year old in 3 weeks and we've done a WHOPPING 3,200 miles :p:D:approve:

ah crap.....
Mine will be 10 months old on the 3rd of May.. and I've done...
<ahem>.... 13500 miles.... :I oops..

:cool: