PDA

View Full Version : JC been at it again

Scottie
6th February 2009, 07:55 PM
calling the PM a one eye scottish idiot.

Oop's kinda funny though.:clap::smilewinkgrin:

Forbes
6th February 2009, 08:01 PM
Saw that aswell. He is always in the headlines these days. Think it might be all publicity is good publicity

badwolf340
6th February 2009, 08:05 PM
Jezza he the man....:cool:.anyway the prime minister is a bit of one anyway.:rolleyes:

Sheilz
6th February 2009, 10:49 PM
He's a gobby git right enough. Its been interesting listening to the outcry in the news. It was defo racist, it defo discriminated against the visually disadvantaged and it was defo true. Unfortunately he missed the target with this effort at humour, think it would have got bullseye if he'd called him a one-eyed North British idiot. Choked on my supper listening to that gross Foulkes slating JC while defending the NBI.
Another aspect of the whole whoo ha which I find more disturbing is the disparity with which the English establishment reacts to the private comments made by CT about the golliwog (we have two of them in the house and they are so cute) while a miserble excuse of an apology from JC appears to be enough to satisfy the BBC. Foulkes had a barny with the news presenter because she was trying to make the point that maybe the NBI should just have ignored the remark. While that in itself would probably have been the sensible thing to do unfortunately it also demonstrates the inherent anti-scottishness of the BBC. Exchange 'Scot' with 'Jew', 'Pakisitini' or even 'English' (if the nationalities of the two combatants were swapped about) and I am pretty damned sure the BBC would have been calling for JC's head on a plate rather than letting him off with his idiotic remark.

MINI William
6th February 2009, 11:27 PM
The PM is one ;).People say things about the PM, French and Australians all the time but as soon as its Jezza its in the press..... realy who cares.Anyway its not the first time he has said anything about the above and noone bothered then seems to be a domino effect after johnathin ross

N12 JLK
6th February 2009, 11:46 PM
Oh well:eek:

The Dogfather
7th February 2009, 08:55 AM
It was defo racist, it defo discriminated against the visually disadvantaged and it was defo true..........

Exchange 'Scot' with 'Jew', 'Pakisitini' or even 'English' (if the nationalities of the two combatants were swapped about) and I am pretty damned sure the BBC would have been calling for JC's head on a plate rather than letting him off with his idiotic remark.

Sheilz, to be racist he would have come out with a generalisation about Scots, like 'all Scots .........' or 'he's Scottish so he's an ............'. He didn't he used three separate unrelated adjectives to describe Brown. What's happened is his comments have been used to imply racism/discrimination, all that's just the press sensing blood again.

Gordon Brown is an idiot, but its not connected to the fact he's Scottish or the fact he's only one eye.

N12 JLK
7th February 2009, 10:41 AM
I heard Gordon Brown dropped 50p and hit it him on the back of the head:rolleyes:

Anyone got some gold reserves;)

ny152
7th February 2009, 11:26 AM
The PM might be an idiot. He is certainly Scottish. But JC shouldn't have mentioned his disability.

Imagine the outcry if he had made a similar comment, but about someone in a wheelchair perhaps?

I like Clarkson, Top Gear is brilliant. But he should face some sort of punishment by the BBC for coming out with a statement that pokes fun at a physical disability.

Sheilz
7th February 2009, 01:02 PM
Sheilz, to be racist he would have come out with a generalisation about Scots, like 'all Scots .........' or 'he's Scottish so he's an ............'. He didn't he used three separate unrelated adjectives to describe Brown. What's happened is his comments have been used to imply racism/discrimination, all that's just the press sensing blood again.

Gordon Brown is an idiot, but its not connected to the fact he's Scottish or the fact he's only one eye.

Wrong! It was racist because 'Scottish' was used pejoratively. The fact he is Scottish (sorry Mr Broon, what I meant was North British) is irrelevant to him being an idiot. And it is indicative of the inherent racism in the BBC.

Crombers
7th February 2009, 02:08 PM
Is JC really this popular with you guys.

He can be interesting (sometimes very listenable) when he's not trying to be funny but when he tries to be funny he's a feckin to$$er :shut up:imho !!

Just my 2p

Oh & I don't mind GB as much as some either, just look around at the current alternatives :yawn:

The Dogfather
7th February 2009, 05:46 PM
Wrong! It was racist because 'Scottish' was used pejoratively. The fact he is Scottish (sorry Mr Broon, what I meant was North British) is irrelevant to him being an idiot. And it is indicative of the inherent racism in the BBC.

How do you know if it was used pejoratively?

Unless you know what Clarkson was actually thinking then I think you must be prejudging Clarkson on the way he used the word 'Scottish'.

Sheilz
7th February 2009, 07:52 PM
How do you know if it was used pejoratively?

Unless you know what Clarkson was actually thinking then I think you must be prejudging Clarkson on the way he used the word 'Scottish'.

I listened to the faux pas and it most certainly was racist. Exchange 'Scot' for 'Jew'. 'Pakistani' and Mr Clarkson would not have been allowed to get off with his miserable excuse of an apology. You only have to compare the consequence for CT for a private remark with the idiotic comment by Clarkson in a press conference to realise that anti-Scottishness is rampant in the BBC.
I cant stand Brown the Clown and I like Clarkson but irrespective of how much ratings he pulls for the BBC he should not get off with this. His apology (for want of a better word) only adds to his wrong doing. To be blunt Clarkson is a public school bigotted twit.

The Dogfather
7th February 2009, 08:16 PM
Actually exchange Scot for English, American, Swedish, German, Swiss etc. and the comment is fine. In fact only the shortened version of 'Pakistani' is considered to be offensive.

You are currently comparing his use of the word 'Scot' with groups of people for who their own nationality/religion has historically been used pejoratively by racists, which is sensationalistic at best. As far as I'm aware 'Scot' has never, and never will be seen to be a derogatory term.

I don't disagree that Clarkson is probably a bigot, but his outburst on this occasion was not a dig at Scottishness.

As for the BBC anti Scottish bias, I think the bias covers anywhere outside of London.

Sheilz
8th February 2009, 02:03 AM
Actually exchange Scot for English, American, Swedish, German, Swiss etc. and the comment is fine. In fact only the shortened version of 'Pakistani' is considered to be offensive.

You are currently comparing his use of the word 'Scot' with groups of people for who their own nationality/religion has historically been used pejoratively by racists, which is sensationalistic at best. As far as I'm aware 'Scot' has never, and never will be seen to be a derogatory term.

I don't disagree that Clarkson is probably a bigot, but his outburst on this occasion was not a dig at Scottishness.

As for the BBC anti Scottish bias, I think the bias covers anywhere outside of London.

Context and tone that's the difference and that's what made it racist. The intent was clearly to be derogatory and unfortunately it is reflective of a tangible undertone of anti-Scotishness that has been fuelled by opposition to a deeply unpopular government.

The Dogfather
8th February 2009, 03:34 AM
So by your logic, anyone who refers to someone as being a Scot is now a racist bigot?

KenL
8th February 2009, 08:42 AM
Clarkson is an ar*e, always has been :frown:

I say sack him and put James in charge of Top Gear. At least his "wit" is intelligent.:thumbs up:

BTW, I don't think our PM is an idiot :hand:

KenL
8th February 2009, 08:44 AM
Was the comment racist? I'm not sure, but when he mentioned the problem in England was that there was a Scottish PM certainly highlighted a difference between him and the PM.

Crombers
8th February 2009, 01:26 PM
I say sack him and put James in charge of Top Gear. At least his "wit" is intelligent.:thumbs up:

James May :yes nod:, yup, any day of the week , top bloke & funny with it :thumbs up:

Mini Ecosse
8th February 2009, 01:44 PM
James May :yes nod:, yup, any day of the week , top bloke & funny with it :thumbs up:

James May has my vote :thumbs up:

Sheilz
8th February 2009, 11:22 PM
So by your logic, anyone who refers to someone as being a Scot is now a racist bigot?

Don't be obtuse Paul. Context and tone that's what made the difference. I note a Poll in Scotland and Sunday had over 90% agreeing that Clarkson should be sacked.

Agree James May would be an excellent replacement in Top Gear.

The Dogfather
9th February 2009, 12:00 AM
I'm not being obtuse, far from it, I've watched the clip and I'm just wondering how you managed to come to the conclusion he was being racist. It never crossed my mind and I'm pretty tuned in to any form of racism.

So from implication, what you're saying is that Harry's use of the P word was OK as that was his friend and it was jovial, where as because Clarkson was insulting the PM his referral to him being Scottish was racist?

Have you not considered the fact that Clarkson being a journalist is used to using adjectives to describe things/people, and probably the most obvious adjective for Gordon Brown is his nationality, even though he tries his best to hide it.

Re: The Poll. Public opinion can be easily manipulated by the press, this is just another witch hunt so they can sell papers. However, did you consider that people who didn't think he was racist didn't bother to call in so the sample was heavily biased?

The Dogfather
9th February 2009, 12:01 AM
BTW, good debate this :D

eddie 44
12th February 2009, 02:28 AM
JC for pm :p

KenL
12th February 2009, 11:52 PM
JC for pm :p

I'd rather have the Tories than that ...fill in the blanks... :hand:

Crombers
13th February 2009, 12:02 PM