PDA

View Full Version : IS it just me or do people south of the border

Scottie
6th February 2009, 07:42 PM
not know how to drive in the snow.:confused::confused:

Been watching the news:argh: laughing :laugh:at the people and their cars getting stuck in the snow.:argh::argh:

Alex from NM
6th February 2009, 07:51 PM
Its just you :D

I think most people from Derbyshire/North Midlands up know how to do it. We get a reasonable amount of snow every year in the NE so you do get used to it. I do remember going through a about 12" one year on the A19 which was 'interesting'*

* - ok, it was frightening I admit, but I still got to where I was going without veering off the road and causing a 20 mile traffic jam

Forbes
6th February 2009, 07:53 PM
Saw one crash tonight, took nearly 4 hours to get from Union St to mums work and home (should take 40mins max) and then went out in the freelander to have some fun. It is alot better for fun in the snow than the mini.

And a idiot in a Type R flying past folk on the Culter to Westhill road.... Will be surprised if he makes it home

Scottie
6th February 2009, 08:00 PM
Its just you :D

I think most people from Derbyshire/North Midlands up know how to do it. We get a reasonable amount of snow every year in the NE so you do get used to it. I do remember going through a about 12" one year on the A19 which was 'interesting'*

* - ok, it was frightening I admit, but I still got to where I was going without veering off the road and causing a 20 mile traffic jam

not sure where the news coverage came from but the driving was not the best.

Maybe it's the local authorities to blame not doing enough from the driver but I've driven through a lot worse than what I saw in the news tonight going through Drumochter in convoy behind the police and the Slochd in the Mini with few problems.

Alex from NM
6th February 2009, 08:13 PM
not sure where the news coverage came from but the driving was not the best.

Maybe it's the local authorities to blame not doing enough from the driver but I've driven through a lot worse than what I saw in the news tonight going through Drumochter in convoy behind the police and the Slochd in the Mini with few problems.

I've driven through Drumochter when its been lying as well. Worst time was Dalwhinnie to Spean Bridge in a total white out in a stinking blizzard. Just got to where I was going by aiming for the gap between the trees :eek:. Also a bit nasty was towards Glengarry when I passed 2 overturned pickups!

I think they've been getting stuck down in Devon and Cornwall last night. Which to be fair is about the last place you'd expect to get a good covering of snow.

rpn
6th February 2009, 10:32 PM
Walked home from work this afternoon, all 7.5 miles due to all the roads around my office (Dyce) being at a standstill for over two hours! When I got home I just :thud:

Sheilz
6th February 2009, 10:36 PM
To be honest I dont think the Scots are any better at driving in the snow than the English. A wee bit of compressed snow and a few ruts = cars going all over the place in Aberdeen. From the clips on the news there was a lot of snow for driving in. Dont think the English coped any less than us hardier sould north of the border. Have to say though the coverage on BBC was just so OTT only lightened by the wonderful antics of the stoat frolicking in the snow.

N12 JLK
6th February 2009, 10:51 PM
I'm just home tonight from a 3 day stint in Inverness and Elgin, I drove from Forres to Grantown earlier and all I can say was it was scary, drifts of 2ft in places, its hard trying to keep a decent pace going up a windy hill and trying not to get stuck in the moors. I called into a builders merchant in Aviemore I deal with and the manager said that in surrounding area's the snow was 2' 6" deep, now that's DEEP!!.
In total I drove around 100 miles in the snow today, good driving experience for me.

The Dogfather
6th February 2009, 11:17 PM
Its all about the tyres, I think I might have mentioned this before :D ;)

We have the wrong tyres for snow in this country so when it does arrive we can't get anywhere. 5 inches of snow here the other morning made it up the hill without a problem.

Scottie
6th February 2009, 11:19 PM
I have the Proxy winter tyres on my Mini not had much snow here but on Monday when i was up at Mums she did and my car was good in the snow.:thumbs up:

Scottie
6th February 2009, 11:45 PM
well to be fair the news always seems to show a RWD BMW having problems in the snow.

euan
7th February 2009, 12:40 AM
well to be fair the news always seems to show a RWD BMW having problems in the snow.

That's because it's funnier when some clown drives a RWD car in the snow ;)

I spoke to a lot of people on my travels in the south this week, nobody has seen this much so widespread and for so long in years (15/20 years). As such, nobody has the experience of it and therefore, no skills. Most of the problems I've seen have been inappropriate use of speed and too heavy a right foot in 1st gear :hand:

Alex from NM
7th February 2009, 10:43 AM
...and too heavy a right foot in 1st gear :hand:

That's the best bit about driving in snow :p. The second best is when the transport yard at work is empty :Whistle:

Crombers
7th February 2009, 02:20 PM
I reckon that The Dogfather is spot on, they are just not used to it.

I do reckon that some over react & shut up shop at the first sign of the white stuff !!

I did however like the interview with one English Headmaster on BBC News (who did open his school as thousands of others kept their gates shut) when he said he was from the 'old school' & used to trudge to school as a lad himself when it snowed. His reaction was ' I used to to it' & why have we all of a sudden changed in this modern era !!