PDA

View Full Version : Speedometer indicators judder on start up

PASL
3rd February 2009, 04:59 PM
Hey guys & girls not been on in a while hope you can help,

The girlfriends 54 plate cooper has a fault all the indicators Fuel,temp,Speed in the speedometer judder on start up.

Paul.

The Dogfather
3rd February 2009, 05:00 PM
yeah they all do it, not a fault just a charateristic

MartinSullivan
3rd February 2009, 05:02 PM
As stated its a well known issue, various people have come up with theories, it was claimed for a while that it was due to low charge on the battery - might be worth getting that tested.

ELFMAN
3rd February 2009, 05:10 PM
Mine does this quite frequently - I do mainly short journeys during the week to and from work and I was under the impression that it could be linked to a low battery charge. However, the car usually starts OK. (Unless I've used a hoover from the cig. lighter...) At this cold time of year, we're using lots of energy on heated windows, fans etc etc, so if the battery's weak, it will show up more.

If it's a 'short journey' car like mine, take it for a long-ish drive sometime and see if the dials behave themselves the next day. I think mine does it less frequently if I've been using it more (like NMS Runs!), but it could just be my imagination!

john
3rd February 2009, 05:14 PM
I have had 12 mini's and never had that problem:confused:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd February 2009, 05:34 PM
We're on 5 and never seen it.:confused:

A.:D

PASL
3rd February 2009, 05:41 PM
I have never seen this before myself and am on my second one
but i'll get the battery tested just to make sure.

Thanks for all your help guys

Crombers
3rd February 2009, 05:56 PM
Never seem this before , in my 59K , 4.5 years of ownership.

I reckon Martin & Elfman have a reasonably good theory.

ianking
3rd February 2009, 06:51 PM
yeah its an issue on the R50s. Seems to be when the battery is slightly down.

My white mini was doing it alot on cold start up then a couple weeks later the battery was finished.

KenL
3rd February 2009, 08:35 PM
My R50 ONE did this on cold mornings.

The battery theory sounds right to me.

Big Gordy
4th February 2009, 09:53 AM
Ours does this all the time as it only does about 6 miles a day:blush:
It does disappear for a wee while after I've been on a NMS run funnily enough:Whistle:which adds weight to the battery theory:rolleyes:

Burple
4th February 2009, 11:18 AM
I occasionally get it too.. Did it on Tuesday morning, and the battery theory would make sense as we were sitting in the car chatting for a bit on Monday night, with the heater on, and heated seats ;) :thumbs up: