PDA

View Full Version : Broken bonnet release cable?

korky
3rd February 2009, 12:53 PM
Ran out of screen wash yesterday. Minor problem, I know, BUT, when I pulled the bonnet release lever inside the car to open the bonnet, it just swung out freely with no resistance and didn't open the bonnet. I think the cable has snapped. Anyone know how to get into the bonnet? The dealer is a fair drive from work or home (in filthy weather with no screenwash!) and has no loan cars available anyway. I tried the mini recovery service (a longshot, I know). They very politely suggested I carry a bottle of water and stop periodically to clean the windscreen until I can get to the dealers on a day when I have time to sit about while they try to fix it. The only other suggestion the dealers had was to get a local garage to sort it out, but the car's only 18 months old, so why should I foot the bill?

Pah. Disgruntled. Such a silly little fault.

JOHN MILNE
3rd February 2009, 01:09 PM
there is a possability the end of the cable may have came off the lever
if poss remove trim panel around bonnet pull if cable is visable pull with a pair of pliers .you may only need a new handle or you may be able to attatch cable back onto handle

MINI William
3rd February 2009, 01:28 PM
I had a the very same problem with my bonnet took it to the garage and it was fixed in 10mins and under warenty.As you say your car is only 18months old so you should have no problems

Hamish
3rd February 2009, 01:35 PM
when we stripped our car prior to painting it rings a bell you can get in from the inner front arch lining, bit of a bugger having to remove it though.

My mate who was helping me commented... "excellent, now i know how easy a mini would be to nick!!!" :frown:

Good luck.

AndyP & Lenore
3rd February 2009, 01:53 PM
when we stripped our car prior to painting it rings a bell you can get in from the inner front arch lining, bit of a bugger having to remove it though.

My mate who was helping me commented... "excellent, now i know how easy a mini would be to nick!!!" :frown:

Good luck.

Well, he was probably from Hawick as well.:moonie::lol:

Hamish, Korky's car will be an R56 so it's a different car to yours. It may be the same mech for opening the bonnet, but the path could well be different.

A.

Hamish
3rd February 2009, 02:29 PM
aye he's a Hawick lad too Andy, ;) But we are both honest and upstanding citizens :cool:

Yeah I dont know the differences, just thought I'd throw an answer korkys way in case it helped, surely theres a quicker way than going through the inner wheel arch anyway.

Hope its sorted painlessly! :thumbs up:

ianking
3rd February 2009, 04:42 PM
This happened to Jasons laser blue R56 when I went to open his bonnet. He had it fixed under warranty no problems.

I felt terrible though (for about 2 mins) as I thought it may have been me. :blush:

The Dogfather
3rd February 2009, 04:58 PM
How exactly do you clean your windscreen if you are stuck behind a lorry on the motorway? Personally I would ring MINI Breakdown and ask to speak to a supervisor/manager and ask them to confirm that if you follow their advice and have an accident because you couldn't see would they pay for the damage to the car/injuries?

AndyP & Lenore
3rd February 2009, 05:39 PM
How exactly do you clean your windscreen if you are stuck behind a lorry on the motorway? Personally I would ring MINI Breakdown and ask to speak to a supervisor/manager and ask them to confirm that if you follow their advice and have an accident because you couldn't see would they pay for the damage to the car/injuries?

Yeah, what he said.:thumbs up:

I think MINI recovery are not grasping the issue here. If you don't have water in your washer bottle, and you use the vehicle on a public road, that's a road traffic violation - I speak from experience. I would be calling MINI back and insisting someone comes out. It's not YOUR fault the catch has come off/broken.

A.

Crombers
3rd February 2009, 05:58 PM
:ragin: Agreed, get the recovery folk to your MINI asap

Scottie
3rd February 2009, 07:07 PM
when that happened to us in our Dooper We took the side panel off where the pull lever is in the car, the cable kinda looks like an old bike brake cable and it had come out the housing we got plyers and put it back in its housing.

korky
3rd February 2009, 07:47 PM
Well, thanks so far....I just about made it home from work without an accident and have located the cable by fishing around behind the 'pull' lever in the car. Alas, all that happens when I pull it is that it comes about 6 inches out of the hole and then sticks. I can't pull any harder (and don't want to make matters worse). And I'm not keen on removing panels, I'd be sure to trash something. So it looks like I get a scary low-visibility drive (possibly illegal) to the dealers or foot the bill myself at the local garage. Or maybe the RAC would be more responsible than mini recovery!

Grrrrr......

:argh:

korky
3rd February 2009, 09:23 PM
Gets better.....my lovely other half managed to pop my bonnet and fill up my skoosh bottle (so to speak), so the dealers can take it in at their leisure and sort it out properly. Along with the crunchy gear-box I've been meaning to get looked at since November. Honestly, sometimes I'm such a bird I depress myself: just needed a bit of manly force with the pliers!

:moonie:

Big Gordy
4th February 2009, 09:45 AM
my lovely other half managed to pop my bonnet and fill up my skoosh bottle (so to speak),

Snigger.....ohhh we could have sooooooooooo much fun with a comment like that:Whistle:

Big Gordy
4th February 2009, 09:47 AM
Gets better.....my lovely other half managed to pop my bonnet and fill up my skoosh bottle. Just needed a bit of manly force with the pliers!

:moonie:

Ooooooooooerrrrrrrr missus:laugh::smilewinkgrin:

(see what I mean:bigwave:)