PDA

View Full Version : Current threat of "snow"

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2009, 06:02 PM
What's the bets it all comes to nothing as usual.:frown:

Maybe a hard frost down southern Englandshire which grinds the country to a halt for a week.

Scaremongering. Again.:frown:

A.

Mini Ecosse
1st February 2009, 06:15 PM
Wow 10cms forecast! :rolleyes: Englandshire will grind to a halt.
Assuming the forecast is correct

euan
1st February 2009, 06:46 PM
Well, we've had two dustings so far today, but nothing of any great consequence.

Needless to say, it'll bugger up the trains in the morning regardless. It'll be the wrong kind of snow or something.

The Dogfather
1st February 2009, 06:52 PM
Snow already lying here (Durham), I've been watching the computer models for the last week or so and this looks pretty nailed on. The forecast is for it to stay cold for over a week.

Scottie
1st February 2009, 07:12 PM
I've got my fingers and toes crossed for snow. love the stuff:D

Smitty
1st February 2009, 07:24 PM
So far only light dustings off snow - I can see drivers panicking already!! :frown:

euan
1st February 2009, 08:07 PM
Well, it's lying here now, and looks set to continue for a while!

Craig
1st February 2009, 08:52 PM
no snow yet, but even if it does, it won't be anything to worry about.. :rolleyes:

Bumble
1st February 2009, 09:33 PM
was about 4 flakes of snow on Princes Street in Edinburgh today ...

camjay
1st February 2009, 10:40 PM
Im praying for some snow - anything to get out of going to work tomorrow - I really hate Mondays! :sad:

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2009, 11:33 PM
We've had 10 flakes in Gala tonight. I counted them all.:thumbs up:

A.:D

audrey
1st February 2009, 11:57 PM
No snow at all in Glasgow bit of sleet earlier lasted about 5 minutes :D

Sheilz
2nd February 2009, 12:11 AM
Heavy snow in Brighton.

euan
2nd February 2009, 08:15 AM
Well, we're screwed! Believe the hype, it's been very heavy here overnight. I'll take some pictures later, but it's blooming freezing and very thick, we've certainly had at least 4 inches.

Smitty
2nd February 2009, 09:39 AM
I must still have my Scottish cap (realistic) cap on when looking at snow conditions in England:

There is about 1cm outside my window right now. Watching the news and people just do not know how to drive in snow, it's embarrassing!

It also embarrassing that airports, trains, schools, roads etc close with 4 inches (max) of snow, while over in the Alps and servicing low land towns they can get a foot a snow in a matter of hours and things operate as they were.

Hang you head in shame Great Britain (....but especially Southern England!!) :frown:

Mini Ecosse
2nd February 2009, 09:44 AM
No snow in Oban and temp still above freezing.

We are all grateful here for the effect of The Gulf Stream which certainly makes a difference to our climate in this part of Scotland.
In fact if we stay frost free we will have one of our best citrus fruit growing season for many years. The orange crop in particular looks really well and a good harvest is predicted :Whistle::Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2009, 09:53 AM
No snow in Oban and temp still above freezing.

We are all grateful here for the effect of The Gulf Stream which certainly makes a difference to our climate in this part of Scotland.
In fact if we stay frost free we will have one of our best citrus fruit growing season for many years. The orange crop in particular looks really well and a good harvest is predicted :Whistle::Whistle:

Like a scene out of trading places.:lol:

A.:laugh:

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 09:54 AM
4 to 5" inches , Glasgow South

I like the stuff when it falls over a weekend & you can go out & play in it, apart from that it's a pain in the butt as the place grinds to a halt & the traffic jams............don't get me started :argh:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2009, 09:54 AM
Aye, OK, snow in Gala overnight too. Still a few flurries every now and then also.

We've got maybe 2" = hard frost really.

euan
2nd February 2009, 10:26 AM
Right, seeing as you lot are generally abusing those who live in the south, and generally it's deserved, but there really has been a fair whack of snow last night. So...

Somewhere under that is my car...
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/3246361741_388297580b.jpg?v=0

The street:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3125/3246344923_c6d6a9b45b.jpg?v=0

This is our bedroom roof:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3511/3246351861_d007d41b73.jpg?v=0

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 10:29 AM
3 inches here, I had a good journey in to work as I stuck to the minor roads were the snow was at its worse. The main roads were snarled up as everyone was being over cautious.

Before slagging the South East remember its very rare that Southern England gets snow in fact it happens once every four years on average, whereas places like Aberdeen get bad snow 4 times each winter. People don't have the experience of how to deal with it and the councils aren't geared up for it as it would be a waste of taxpayers money.

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 10:47 AM
Jings :eek: that's 'deep' for Engerland

Place has now 'ground to a halt' I assume :D

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 10:52 AM
not here in the NE it hasn't

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 10:55 AM
not here in the NE it hasn't

Yeah but you a 'hard orthener' living North of the Watford Gap :rolleyes: ;)

illegalhunter
2nd February 2009, 11:01 AM
Right now at my uncles hunting camp in upstate NY , THERE ARE 10FT SNOW DRIFTS.There still going to work

euan
2nd February 2009, 11:17 AM
Right now at my uncles hunting camp in upstate NY , THERE ARE 10FT SNOW DRIFTS.There still going to work

Nutters :D

While they do that, I'm sitting at home with a cup of tea, fire on, keeping warm. :D It's just not worth it when I can work from home.

Apparently the city is like it is on a Sunday, ie, very quiet.

Sheilz
2nd February 2009, 04:13 PM
Before slagging the South East remember its very rare that Southern England gets snow in fact it happens once every four years on average, whereas places like Aberdeen get bad snow 4 times each winter. People don't have the experience of how to deal with it and the councils aren't geared up for it as it would be a waste of taxpayers money.[/quote]

........and we wouldn't want to see any more of our guid Scottish money being wasted would we........:Whistle::Whistle::Whistle:

Sheilz
2nd February 2009, 04:18 PM
I must still have my Scottish cap (realistic) cap on when looking at snow conditions in England:

There is about 1cm outside my window right now. Watching the news and people just do not know how to drive in snow, it's embarrassing!

It also embarrassing that airports, trains, schools, roads etc close with 4 inches (max) of snow, while over in the Alps and servicing low land towns they can get a foot a snow in a matter of hours and things operate as they were.

Hang you head in shame Great Britain (....but especially Southern England!!) :frown:

The reason people in the Alps and other continental regions can drive in snow is because its standard practice in Europe to put winter tyres on cars. You can get in serious bother in Germany if you go off the road because your tyres are inadequate for the road conditions. Because our winters rarely involve anything more than just a few days of snow a year people in the UK tend not to go to the expense of winter tyres. That's why on the days there are snow the roads grind to a halt.

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 04:23 PM
Because of where I live I have snow tyres on my car, which is why I had no problems getting to work in the snow this morning.

euan
2nd February 2009, 04:32 PM
They reckon something like 1 in 5 didn't make it to work today! It's still snowing here, we've had even more snow now. Amazingly, they just gritted my road, what it actually needs is a snow plough...

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 04:43 PM
Big wave of snow moving up the country, should be a fair bit overnight.

Craig
2nd February 2009, 06:13 PM
well, I drove from Stirling to Govan (Glasgow) today for work and left Stirling @ 12:30hrs and got to Govan just before 2 !! there was lying snow on the A80 with Ice underneath it and the lorries were sliding all over the place, then of course they slow down and can't get going again... sat at a standstill for ages, then 10mph all the way to the Stepps bypass.. :argh:

a lot of the problems with a day like today is lack of training in snow... A guy nearly ran into the back of me earlier when I left the house as he was travelling 2 fast, hit the brakes and nearly hit the back of me and he managed to miss me and ended up on the wrong side of the road facing the kerb.. :knife::Whistle:

When I was younger, whenever it snowed, I would go up the carron valley and play in the snow... Learned a lot and I am sure it helps today.. :yes nod::yes nod:

euan
2nd February 2009, 06:15 PM
OK, this is more than a dusting...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3268/3248090656_a60eafa5e6.jpg?v=1233594902

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2009, 06:16 PM
When I was younger, whenever it snowed, I would go up the carron valley and play in the snow... Learned a lot and I am sure it helps today.. :yes nod::yes nod:

You're time might have been better spent driving about in the snow to get experience in driving in these conditions, rather than just "playing".:moonie::shut up::clap::lol:

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2009, 06:16 PM

Pah! Hard frost.:moonie::lol:

Craig
2nd February 2009, 06:21 PM

jings this soft southerner is still trying to justify his "duvet day" :moonie::rolleyes:;):bigwave:

Scottie
2nd February 2009, 06:37 PM

that's a bit of drift snow:p;)

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 06:37 PM
6-8 inches of lying snow here, and I made it to work and back without any problems (a 72 mile round trip) no problems with lorries, no delays in fact it only took me 5 minutes more than usual coming home.

The NE of England! Snow, come and 'ave a go if you think you're 'ard enough ;)

euan
2nd February 2009, 06:45 PM
jings this soft southerner is still trying to justify his "duvet day" :moonie::rolleyes:;):bigwave:

Duvet day! I wish. Tried to get back to sleep but failed miserably :D

I work from home two days a week anyway, so it's not really made that much difference to me, we did all the meetings by conference call. There are some people who were definitely making the most of it though!

AndyP & Lenore
2nd February 2009, 08:59 PM
Raining in Gala now.:thumbs up:

Council have shut ALL schools tomorrow. They are gonna have mighty red faces when they wake up in the morning and find a wee bit of dirty brown slush on the occasional side road.:frown::lol:

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 09:52 PM
There's a chance that the rain will turn back to snow by tomorrow morning, still snow here mind. Over a foot now I reckon.

N12 JLK
2nd February 2009, 10:18 PM
The road up to our house was murder this evening when arriving home with thick snow, I had to get neighbours to help dig away the snow and we had to grit the road ourselves as the bloody council is a joke and wont come up the hill to grit our cul de sac, what do you pay your tax for:frown:

The Dogfather
2nd February 2009, 11:28 PM
For them to grit the roads for the buses so that all the people who don't pay road tax can get to work, obviously ;)

Craig
2nd February 2009, 11:32 PM
been in our house nearly 6 years and they don't grit any of our estate at any part as the builder and council are dragging their feet and the council still haven't adopted the road...:argh::argh: makes it interesting getting up the hill on the cold mornings...;)

john
2nd February 2009, 11:35 PM
been in our house nearly 6 years and they don't grit any of our estate at any part as the builder and council are dragging their feet and the council still haven't adopted the road...:argh::argh: makes it interesting getting up the hill on the cold mornings...;)

The joys of living rough:thumbs up:

Gismo
3rd February 2009, 06:19 AM
been in our house nearly 6 years and they don't grit any of our estate at any part as the builder and council are dragging their feet and the council still haven't adopted the road...:argh::argh: makes it interesting getting up the hill on the cold mornings...;)At least you've got a a big bucket of grit right outside you're house :Whistle:

Craig
3rd February 2009, 08:15 AM
At least you've got a a big bucket of grit right outside you're house :Whistle:

not for long..... :Whistle::Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
3rd February 2009, 11:57 AM
Well, sure enough. It rained pretty much all night. All that's left of our 4" yesterday is some muddy brown slush at the side of the roads.:thumbs up:

Scottish Borders Council must have some egg on their face this morning. However, it was coming down as nasty sleet and rain all night, so if it had fallen as snow, we'd have 12" by now.:blush:

The Dogfather
3rd February 2009, 12:02 PM
We had snow till midnight, it became increasingly sleety after that. The snow was about a foot deep maybe a bit more in certain areas.

Mini Ecosse
3rd February 2009, 02:35 PM
Snow what snow?
Nice day in Oban +6C and sunny spells.

Burple
3rd February 2009, 04:28 PM
Snow what snow?
Nice day in Oban +6C and sunny spells.

Exactly!! It's been Pi$$ing down here in sunny Dundee all day, and all of last night from about 9pm! :frown::frown:

Sheilz
4th February 2009, 12:08 PM
The rain in Aberdeen finally turned to snow at 1.30am and hasn't stopped. Looking pretty though not as deep as it could have been because of Monday and Tuesday's rain.

bazzaric
4th February 2009, 01:26 PM
My Mini is playing hide and seek...bet you can't spot him...

http://i41.tinypic.com/zt6l4w.jpg

john
4th February 2009, 02:19 PM
It is well hidden but I recon I have spotted it:computer::thumbs up:

http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k196/dycecooper/zt6l4w-1.jpg

leighj
4th February 2009, 08:43 PM
its been snowing beside me since 3ish, still going and hopefully i wont be able to see my mini in the snow tomo morning lol

AndyP & Lenore
4th February 2009, 11:53 PM
its been snowing beside me since 3ish, still going and hopefully i wont be able to see my mini in the snow tomo morning lol

what about in front of you? Or behind you? Or even on top of you? Not snowing there? If it's only snowing beside you, that doesn't count.:moonie::bigwave:

john
6th February 2009, 01:25 PM
Do I win a prize for finding it?:smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
6th February 2009, 07:06 PM
Do I win a prize for finding it?:smilewinkgrin:

Close, but no cigar :rolleyes:

GP BILLY
7th February 2009, 09:23 AM
Snow Job:Whistle::Whistle::Whistle:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f356/9049/daft%20pictures/Coldyoumustbejoking.jpg

Scottie
7th February 2009, 10:22 AM
:laugh:

N12 JLK
7th February 2009, 10:34 AM
Hope the snow lady doesnt get chapped lips:D

Mini Ecosse
7th February 2009, 11:51 AM
Hope the snow lady doesnt get chapped lips:D

:D:D

leighj
7th February 2009, 01:08 PM
what about in front of you? Or behind you? Or even on top of you? Not snowing there? If it's only snowing beside you, that doesn't count.:moonie::bigwave:

:laugh:

Scottie
8th February 2009, 09:43 PM
We have snow.:thumbs up:

Gismo
8th February 2009, 09:45 PM
I went all the way to Dorset, back up to Liverpool and home and didn't see one flake of snow

The Dogfather
8th February 2009, 09:53 PM
You missed the NE then? Still a fair few inches here and its snowing again:D

marc_v33
8th February 2009, 10:16 PM
we've got about 3/4 inches just now and the roads are a complete nightmare
looks like a day off 2moro:hand::hand::hand:

N12 JLK
8th February 2009, 10:43 PM
We have been out in the snow tonight building a snowman, got about 3 to 4 inch of snow so far tonight