PDA

View Full Version : Google Adsense

Gismo
31st January 2009, 11:07 PM
Folks, i'm trialling the Google Adsense package that is supplied with the latest version of vBulletin.
It's by no means a definite addition to the site, but, it will bring in some handy revenue to the site if it works, however, if you, the members, feel it's way too intrusive then i can switch it off again.

Basically what happens is that adverts will appear in the forum area, they will eventually be relevant to the site once they google bots have trawled the site long enough.

GCA3N
31st January 2009, 11:33 PM
what benefits will this give to the website.

Gismo
31st January 2009, 11:42 PM
what benefits will this give to the website.A couple of ways, once the google bots have reported back to the main Adsense main frame the irrelevant adverts will be replaced by relevant ones, ie, auto motive based, should be cars etc and hopefully mini's directly.
What this means for the site is it gains much needed revenue to assist in the daily running costs.
As much as the site is a hobby it needs a certain amount of funds to keep it going and any money coming inwards is greatly appreciated.

However, if the adverts compete against the sponsors i will remove them immediately.

GCA3N
1st February 2009, 12:14 AM
sounds like it is worth a bash, just a trial period to let everyone get a feel then make a final decision.

Gismo
1st February 2009, 12:24 AM
sounds like it is worth a bash, just a trial period to let everyone get a feel then make a final decision.Seems to be having a problem, once activated the advert boxes should appear and then get populated once the bots have done their thing, but, so far after 30 hours not one advert :lol:

AndyP & Lenore
1st February 2009, 12:48 AM
Alan, when I turned them on on my other site it took a few days for the bots to crawl the site and place proper ads. Until then it was still placing ads but they were free ads for charities.

A.

Gismo
1st February 2009, 12:56 AM
I can understand that from a web site point of view, but, the ads are part of vBulletin and are placed according to their templates.
The ad boxes should appear immeditaely, not neccessarily with adverts straight away, bu, the boxes to show the ads should be visible as blank empty boxes

Craig
2nd February 2009, 06:25 PM
not seen anything different yet alan, did you switch it off or is it still "learning"

bazzaric
2nd February 2009, 07:38 PM
Will the adverts appear top right, or will they be seen as posts?

And how come every page has 'In car Hifi from Mikeythemini' at the bottom Left. It seems to be part of the CSS

john
2nd February 2009, 07:52 PM
And how come every page has 'In car Hifi from Mikeythemini' at the bottom Left. It seems to be part of the CSS

I had never noticed that before:rolleyes:

Gismo
3rd February 2009, 06:29 AM
not seen anything different yet alan, did you switch it off or is it still "learning"I had set it up on my bike site and it's simply not working here, i'm not overly worried and i'm gonna switch it off :yes nod:

Will the adverts appear top right, or will they be seen as posts?

And how come every page has 'In car Hifi from Mikeythemini' at the bottom Left. It seems to be part of the CSSThe adverts would have appeared under the navbar and at the foot of every page.
Mikey is a sponsor and therefore has certain rights to advert placements ;)
It is embedded into the site templates