PDA

View Full Version : What a difference.

GCA3N
31st January 2009, 09:56 PM
Well the car goes in for it's remap on tuesday but before that thought i would give you an update on the induction kit. Last week or so ago i put on a custom stainless exhaust, this has very little in the form of silencing(not too loud though) I felt that straight away the performance seemed different, hard to explain, almost spongy :confused:. So I have booked it in for a remap. Anyway gave the car a full service yesterday, new bosch super 4 plugs, comma fully sinthetic oil and a new induction kit from mini. I took the car out after and too be honest WOW, could not believe the difference. Splashed out on a haynes manual and a bit of belief that I could do this myself. It was not a problem and the results are amazing. Cannot wait now for the remap, will update soon:thumbs up:

Gismo
31st January 2009, 10:12 PM
My car is at GTT getting the Porsche brake kit installed and they reckoned the car wasn't running just right, so, they changed the stock plugs for Iridium and reckoned he's transformed the car, he also added a 40Kv coil pack to compliment it and even he was amazed, so, am a happy bunny.

For any others out there thinking they've lost a wee bit of oomph lately, try changing your plugs :thumbs up:

Scottie
31st January 2009, 10:17 PM
My car is at GTT getting the Porsche brake kit installed and they reckoned the car wasn't running just right, so, they changed the stock plugs for Iridium and reckoned he's transformed the car, he also added a 40Kv coil pack to compliment it and even he was amazed, so, am a happy bunny.

For any others out there thinking they've lost a wee bit of oomph lately, try changing your plugs :thumbs up:

how did it get to GTT:confused::confused:

Craig
31st January 2009, 10:19 PM
as I said in another thread Greig, I would be interested to hear about your remap and how it goes as I have the same type of mods (stainless exhaust and Induction kit) ;)

after mine is out of warranty, I might treat mine to a map and some new plugs and HT leads.. :thumbs up:

Gismo
31st January 2009, 10:25 PM
how did it get to GTT:confused::confused:On a car transporter

GCA3N
31st January 2009, 10:28 PM
yeh i will keep you up dated. Gismo is right about the plugs though, what a difference. I mean £25-30 for all that, can't beat it, and it took about 10 mins start to finish.

ELFMAN
1st February 2009, 03:05 PM
Nice one Greig! Just shows what a difference simple things can make. Interested to see how the re-map goes.

RyanK
1st February 2009, 03:47 PM
Nice one, cheers for the info. Wouldn't mind an uprated set myself to see what the gains are.

Forbes
2nd February 2009, 12:58 AM
My car is at GTT getting the Porsche brake kit installed

:off topic:That will look awesome with your new wheels, are they yellow or red?

Gismo
2nd February 2009, 01:06 AM
:off topic:That will look awesome with your new wheels, are they yellow or red?Red and i also got the rear calipers powder coated red as well

Big Gordy
2nd February 2009, 09:30 AM
I would be interested to hear about your remap and how it goes as I have the same type of mods (stainless exhaust and Induction kit)

Re-map certainly releases loads more horses above 4000rpm in a ONE thats for sure:Whistle::knife:

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 09:44 AM
Re-map certainly releases loads more horses above 4000rpm in a ONE thats for sure:Whistle::knife:

But won't be anywhere near as noticable in a Cooper (as far as I have read thus far). It takes a One from 90 to 125 bhp IIRC & a Cooper from 115 to the same. If you have added exhaust & induction I wonder if a Cooper gets to 130?

How much are re maps these days if I may ask?

Burple
2nd February 2009, 11:09 AM
But won't be anywhere near as noticable in a Cooper (as far as I have read thus far). It takes a One from 90 to 125 bhp IIRC & a Cooper from 115 to the same. If you have added exhaust & induction I wonder if a Cooper gets to 130?

How much are re maps these days if I may ask?

That would depend on the kit and the exhaust to a certain extent Mr c ;) but it would be just the same as a One with the same mods ;) ....like mine! :p:thumbs up::D

Dunno about the remaps.. Bluefin is still £299 or thereabouts...

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 11:38 AM
OK then , so with a Playmini (like yours :thumbs up:) & a K&N 57i induction kit , what BHP do you reckon I'd get with a Bluefin or a re map ?

GCA3N
2nd February 2009, 11:43 AM
my re-map is setting me back 300, the guy states that ne can get 130 out of a cooper, (obviously that remains to be seen) hoping thought it won't be a waste of time....

Big Gordy
2nd February 2009, 11:48 AM
If my memory serves me well (sully may be able to confirm this) MTH tested a top of their range mapped ONE with only an air filter mod on a rolling road in Germany and claimed 140 bhp:eek::eek::thumbs up:
Ross is organising a rolling road soon and he's got me down for it so I'll let you all know exactly what Mutley is producing:Whistle:

Burple
2nd February 2009, 11:52 AM
OK then , so with a Playmini (like yours :thumbs up:) & a K&N 57i induction kit , what BHP do you reckon I'd get with a Bluefin or a re map ?

Ooh, I dunno... I've read about people getting up to about an extra 5hp.. but others not getting as much. I think that's really mostly down to the Rolling road used personally..
You'll definitely get a raised limit on the rev limiter ;) mine kicks in about 7250 now I think ;):blush: although to be fair the last time it happened, I was overtaking a bus on some twisties, so I didn't have much time to look down and make notes!! lol :laugh:

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 12:03 PM
although to be fair the last time it happened, I was overtaking a bus on some twisties, so I didn't have much time to look down and make notes!! lol :laugh:

:D :laugh: :hand:

ELFMAN
3rd February 2009, 02:42 PM
The £299.00 Bluefin on my JCW 210 was said to be worth '8 BHP', which translated into the car feeling initially more 'up for it', and I was/am quite happy, as I could actually detect an improvement on the road. Though like most small mods, it becomes 'normal' after a fairly short time. Arguably even big mods become normal... after a proportionally longer time - that's why we keep footering about with the things!

The 'Generic' (Bluefin etc) remaps are brilliant for (pre R56) ONEs, as you get a REALLY noticable power hike, up to and beyond standard COOPER levels (as far as I know the mapping was the only real difference between the older ONE and COOP) whereas on COOPERS and the S, they're really only 'massaging' things to give a comparitively small improvement. Even a Custom remap on a relatively standard COOPER can only do so much, as the engine can only physically produce a certain amount of power for a given state of tune. The plus point is that it should get the max out of whatever specific tune you're running at the time, with the opportunity (I presume) to remap it easily if and when you modify further.

Big Gordy
3rd February 2009, 02:52 PM
I think the limiting factor in the pre-2006 mini's is the gearbox:frown: Don't think they can stand much more than about 150bhp, which on the face of it is still quite a lot of power out of a single overhead cam 1600cc engine :idea:

john
3rd February 2009, 03:08 PM
Just get a big pair of these http://www.boot.com/Grinder14HoleMain.jpg

Can also be used on other vehicles making them a very good buy:thumbs up: