PDA

View Full Version : should we be filling up and buying a generator

Scottie
30th January 2009, 11:34 PM
workers walking out at Grangemouth

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7859968.stm

fuel for car and generator so we have power in the house.

watching the news is like going back to the 70's / early 80's.

Smitty
31st January 2009, 02:07 AM
Expect completely unnecessary panic at the pumps tomorrow as always when something like this happens.....

The word "scaremongering" comes to mind! :frown:

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2009, 02:23 AM
I'm not in any way taking sides here - in fact I have a fair bit of sympathy with the UK workers. But.... are these strikes not illegal? Are they not supposed to go through ballots etc. these days? If so, I can see mass sackings on the cards and this may all end pretty quickly.

A.

euan
31st January 2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I was wondering that Andy.

Now, I'm not taking sides....But the thing is, they did a perfectly legal thing by getting the Italians in, just because it doesn't support the UK workforce doesn't mean you can strike. We get people in all the time from Europe at work who can do a job they could source from the UK, but for a variety of reasons they don't, but you don;t see us striking...

euan
31st January 2009, 10:00 AM
Anyway, back to topic - I won't be filling as I've hardly used the car this year, filled it twice and it' still got loads left! Generators bring their own problems, people nicking the contents etc.

We're lucky in that most things I need to do are walkable from here, so I'd be quite happy not to go anywhere for a while! Too much travelling at work just now.

illegalhunter
31st January 2009, 10:01 AM
This happening all over the world. We bailout the banks and car industies, and the working man gets nothing. Unemployment is going throw the roof, and we want banks to start lending to people who will loose there jobs. The same thing happens again.This is corporate Fascisim, when the govt and big biz get into bed together

Scottie
31st January 2009, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't mind a power cut or two = no work. No TV but hey I could last a week.