PDA

View Full Version : bike rack

~suze~
30th January 2009, 07:15 PM
Can anyone suggest the best way of carrying 2 bikes on the back of/top of a mini please?

Are the genuine mini racks the best or are there cheaper alternatives?

Thanks

sue

rockwellcm
1st February 2009, 12:32 AM
I take it the only route for this is the roof option,if you look at the back of your Mini you will see you will pull the back window clean out if you attach a rear mounted cycle rack to the car,as the centre straps would attach to the glass,with a MTB weighing in at approx 30lb each, there is a good chance you will break the window if you hit a large pothole,or have to brake suddenly

Donald

euan
1st February 2009, 10:51 AM
There was a load of debate on Mini2 about this, the Thule Freeway was the one most went for if they didn't want a roof mounted one.

From memory, the mini one means drilling the roof, or it certainly used to, as there are no roof mounting points for it.

I ended up just taking the wheels off the bikes and loading them in the back on a boot protector meant for a big saloon, but you are left with no luggage space!

lowrider
5th February 2009, 08:40 PM
Options from the dealer. Including roof and rear options

Clicky clicky:thumbs up:(in the left hand column Accessory search tab type bicycle holder)

http://accessories.mini.com/internet_relaunch/UK/en/index.jsp?random=0.04725649178538027

Livi
5th February 2009, 09:31 PM
Sue,

Might i ask what age of MINI it is?

Some info you might like to know!

Livi
5th February 2009, 09:33 PM
Also Smitty asked me the question in the past

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15157

If your car falls into the Gen 1 Era then i suggest asking him what he managed to get for his.

Smitty
5th February 2009, 09:36 PM
I still don't have anything - just goes into the back of the car :frown:

Really don't want to drill my roof but doesn't seem to be much other options.

You could go the the Thule Tow Bar Racks - but of course that involves fitting a towbar!

Crombers
6th February 2009, 09:20 AM
You could go the the Thule Tow Bar Racks - but of course that involves fitting a towbar!

Towbar !!!

Eh ........... no, no & em no, not on a MINI :eek:

Smitty
6th February 2009, 09:40 AM
Towbar !!!

Eh ........... no, no & em no, not on a MINI :eek:

Exactly the reason i've not done it!! :frown: :thud:

Crombers
6th February 2009, 09:42 AM
Exactly the reason i've not done it!! :frown: :thud:

Phew !! ;)

GAJ
6th February 2009, 09:51 AM
I have one of these (http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLqrymode.a4p?f%5FProductID=4513&f%5FSupersetQRY=C162&f%5FSortOrderID=1&f%5Fbct=c003154c003131c003182)which fits on a MINI fine, with a simple little trick - instead of hooking the top straps to the top of the tailgate (they slip off if you have a spoiler), feed them through and hook them on the bottom of the tailgate from the inside. The side straps can be fitted below the windscreen so no worries about breaking the glass. Just remember not to switch on the rear wiper as the top rubber stoppers do rest on the glass.