PDA

View Full Version : Strange light in the sky

AndyP & Lenore
30th January 2009, 04:41 PM
Anyone noticed a bright white light in the sky, very near the moon, the past couple of nights. In Gala, it's about a hand's distance to the top left of the moon - when you hold your hand at full stretch. I guess with the difference in perspective, it will be in a slightly different position for those in Inverness for example, but not too different.

No way its a star - far too bright. I have two theories...

1. Its the International Space Station.

2. Its a hovering alien space craft, biding it's time, assessing whether Earth is worth invading.

At the moment I favor option 2, but I may be wrong.

Anyone else seen this?

Fi, you and Allan are keen sky watchers.... u seen anything. If Allan has his scope out, ask him to have a peep. If it is alien invaders, try and get their reggie and we can report them to the international space station and have them take them out.

A.:D

dellie
30th January 2009, 04:44 PM
I noticed something the other night whilst out for a walk. We originally thought it was the north star then realised we were facing east (yes were both female), second thought was that it was a plane, but it wasnt on the flight path and it was in the same position for half an hour, third thought we actually were starting to go insane, forth thought was that we were about to be invaded and surprisingly enough we were both more worried about our houses and cars than we were about out partners :-$

Burple
30th January 2009, 04:47 PM
Move your head a bit.. It's a streetlight ;):D:p:laugh::laugh::laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
30th January 2009, 04:50 PM
Move your head a bit.. It's a streetlight ;):D:p:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I suppose when you're only 3 foot tall, everything looks like it's in the sky.:lol::moonie:

Ferengo
30th January 2009, 06:25 PM
I suppose when you're only 3 foot tall, everything looks like it's in the sky.:lol::moonie:

Nice comeback.

I noticed a light in the sky. Very bright and I couldn't see any other stars. It could be Venus as it is pairing up with the moon about now. Did astronomy at Uni but haven't done much recently.

Scottie
30th January 2009, 07:09 PM
It's Venus.

fyi

it's altitude is 26 degrees from the horizon located in the pisces constellation
towards the south west at magnitude-4.4, nothing in the sky can touch it for brilliance apart from the sun and the moon, At the moment venus is only showing us 40% illumination because it shows phases just like our moon.:D

How good am I - not, I asked Allan.:blush:

Scottie
30th January 2009, 07:13 PM
Oh and the only time a star will be as bright as that is when it explodes into a supernova and thats not often.

It was said, that it was possible to read by the light that shone from a supernova and that was way back about 3000 years ago.

AndyP & Lenore
31st January 2009, 01:24 AM
Cool.

That answers that question then.

Send my thanks to Allan.:clap:

A.:thumbs up:

Crombers
31st January 2009, 11:54 AM
What are you drinking these days , oh popcorn one :rolleyes: