PDA

View Full Version : What is the best SLR digital camera

N12 JLK
29th January 2009, 09:40 PM
Looking to buy an SLR digital camera for my Dad's 60th birthday. I know a few of you peeps love your camera and would appreciate some advice. I would like it to be a surprise so can't ask him.

Where is the best place to buy, what features should I be looking for and is there any particular make which is best. Have a budget of about 300 bucks (Is that enough)?

Lesley

Gismo
29th January 2009, 09:43 PM
Basically, stick to the named brands, Canon, Pentax, Olympus etc, at that price there really isn't much in it between them.
I would advise for ease of use rather than going over techy, unless your dad knows what he's doing etc.

Fi gave me great advice for who to contact, Ffordes in Inverness are fantastic and will talk to you and advise over the phone your best option.

Scottie
29th January 2009, 09:55 PM
what gismo man said these guys know more than what we have forgot.

They will give you free independent advice and best part a hop skip and jump from Jasons hotel at Beauly and a nice cafe aswell.:smilewinkgrin:

I've been thinking about the
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G for me.

rpn
29th January 2009, 10:16 PM
It isn't an easy question to answer. I'm sure the other's are totally different from mine. My digital SLR is a Nikon. However, I used to and still have a Canon 35mm.

For your budget,

Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens ~£250
Sony A200 with 18-70mm lens ~300 (ex. Konica Minolta)
Olympus E-420 with 14-42 lens ~305
Canon EOS 1000D with 18-55mm lens ~330

N12 JLK
29th January 2009, 10:41 PM
Agree Alan - he has a very short temper:frown:

Fi, very near Jason's hotel. Will tell him to take a wee trip next time he is up, no cafe though!!:moonie:

Will also take a look at those model's. Knew you guys would be able to help - fountain of knowledge.

Sheilz
30th January 2009, 01:55 AM
Advice also aplenty on the internet or in camera mags. Internet the best place to find the best deal. Would recommend that Jessops is avoided that's if its still in business.

rockwellcm
1st February 2009, 12:23 AM
You should be able to pick up a 30D or a 40D for about that money on ebay,DC Thomsons Photographers use these cameras daily,as they are real workhorses,and not to expensive to repair or replace.

also try here for mint second hand gear

https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm

they only sell top quality equipment,the second hand stuff is like new

Donald

N12 JLK
1st February 2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks folks, will take a note of these makes and models and send jason off to ffordes next time he is up North.

Stewart
1st February 2009, 11:03 AM
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Overclockers Video & Photography forum is good for advice and info. Helped me get my compact digital Lumix TZ5 which is regarded as the best just now for compact, but they are more into the DSLR’s :thumbs up: