PDA

View Full Version : Tiff and Jason in Mini Cooper S v VW Scirocco dogfight

Stewart
27th January 2009, 05:54 PM
Tiff and Jason in Mini Cooper S v VW Scirocco dogfight next week on fifth gear

I recon its a close one, I was going to wait for it before I got the Mini. Love the Mini but the VW looks great also and I've only seen two on the road. I can see four mini's and that just when I step out my front door and no I'm not including my Cooper, everyone has one these days :argh: thing was it was hitting 23K for the model and that was me watching the Add ons:rolleyes:

Rhymes
27th January 2009, 06:51 PM
I agree, Everyone's got a Mini but the reason everyone has one is because of the fact the are sought after.

70% of people i know agree, That the Scirocco's overpriced.

Me and the Girlfriend were in VW at the weekend as she was thinking of getting a white one. The one in the showroom was basic looking, cloth interior, basic toys etc. £21k :laugh:

The interior is terrible build imo and the 'leather' feels fake and rubbery.

I was excited about her getting one as i thought they would be as good as they look but they dont and i wouldnt give them £10k for one.

Luckily , We got a deal on a pre-registered R32 for £14,800 :thumbs up:

ianking
27th January 2009, 07:07 PM

Man thats a quality deal. Lots of car for Cooper money.

Gismo
27th January 2009, 07:07 PM
Much appreciated if someone can advise the date and time and channel so i can ask Me Julie to record it for me

Stewart
27th January 2009, 07:27 PM
Next Monday at 8pm..............:thumbs up: agree the VW is over priced...not been in one to check the inside out only what I've seen in pic's

I was looking at a Golf GT before the Mini, I actually bought the Mini cash and could have spent a good bit more but found the right 57 plate for a good price with 1k on the clock. The main thing that put me off the VW was a prat of a salesman suggesting that I could not afford it because I was in the old 99 plate Honda I had from new. Can’t be arsed with sales people some times but the girl in Stirling was a delight to deal with on the Mini…

Silly I know put off by a dealer………I always liked the original just like the Mini….but without the hopeless build quality and rusting sub frame………..in the case of the mini.

Ivano
27th January 2009, 07:33 PM

Wow!!! That is an amazing price for an R32. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

KenL
27th January 2009, 09:45 PM
Eh!, no way is the VW over-priced! Every review you read says that it is a good buy.

£20 009 for a 200 bhp car, bigger than the MINI and I would expect (having owned a mkV Golf and 2 MINIs) will be at least as good or better built than a MINI.

I have sat inside the Scirroco and thought it seemed very well made interior wise.

Also remember that the VW will come with LOADS of kit that you will be charged extra for on the MINI. Remember that price includes a very impressive active damping system etc.

KenL
27th January 2009, 10:17 PM
What Car: "The Scirocco has sharp lines, drives sweetly, and it's a steal, too."
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review-summary.aspx?rt=2878

Autocar: "Outstanding value for money, first-class ride and handling, practicality"

Stewart
27th January 2009, 11:39 PM
My thoughts were more personally I think any small hatchback over 20K is a bit over priced. Look at some of the Mini Works that are about I have no doubt they are more outstanding and leaps ahead of my wee Cooper but I’d not pay over 20K for one. I understand and appreciate them as being that we bit special but had to take a second take when I was told the price of the one I was sitting in the day I was looking at my car….

The VW does look nice and certainly different to that of the golf. I currently don’t like the look of the Golf so the Scirocco looks fantastic to the golf’s more rounded playing it safe kind of looks. Always think one minute the Golf’s look mean and have a stance the next they look like they are soft and uninteresting.

Rhymes
27th January 2009, 11:57 PM
Eh!, no way is the VW over-priced! Every review you read says that it is a good buy.

£20 009 for a 200 bhp car, bigger than the MINI and I would expect (having owned a mkV Golf and 2 MINIs) will be at least as good or better built than a MINI.

I have sat inside the Scirroco and thought it seemed very well made interior wise.

Also remember that the VW will come with LOADS of kit that you will be charged extra for on the MINI. Remember that price includes a very impressive active damping system etc.

So because the reviews say it's good, Iv to agree??:confused:

Yeah, And the Loads of kit that you'd get with it you have to pay for, The basic car is silly money for what?? What feels like a golf with a squashed body. No thanks.

Gismo
27th January 2009, 11:59 PM
Much appreciated if someone can advise the date and time and channel so i can ask Me Julie to record it for me

Next Monday at 8pm..............:thumbs up:I'm gonna guess at Channel 5 or Sky 1 :Whistle:

Rhymes
28th January 2009, 12:00 AM
Wow!!! That is an amazing price for an R32. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Man thats a quality deal. Lots of car for Cooper money.

Yeah, We played off 3 different dealer's against each other. And it was a cash sale aswell so we used that aswell. Its great acting rich for half an hour, No we're back to Asda Smart price beans.:sad:

Stewart
28th January 2009, 12:39 AM
I'm gonna guess at Channel 5 or Sky 1 :Whistle:

It's Ch5 mate.........:thumbs up:

scotboy
1st February 2009, 06:42 PM
Scirroco has to be one of the freshest looking cars to come out of vw for a good while, based on the mk5 chassis its got to be a winner drive and comfort wise, dont think it can really be fairly compared to a MINI seen as there is a significant size difference.

IMO 20k for a base spec medium sized hatch is more than acceptable in this day and age and when you compare that to an A3 or the likes you are getting far more car for your ££

euan
1st February 2009, 06:53 PM
Well, having been in a couple Sciroccos, they are really nice places to be. Dealer currently has one in dark met grey with a "truffle" leather - think slightly darker ferrari leather - and it's stunning.

I think it's fair game to compare it to the mini, same BHP, not exactly practical but it does have a boot you can use for more stuff! It is more practical as a result, and the rear seats are pretty good, better than my mates TT anyway.

Pricewise, the loaded one in the dealer was 26K, which is a lot but not compared to a TT, which is probably what most would compare it to when buying - same engine after all.

I'll bet the mini trounces it though.

Crombers
2nd February 2009, 10:42 AM
I'll bet the mini trounces it though.

Way to go :D, that's the important stuff :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
2nd February 2009, 11:57 AM
The Sirocco is indeed a fine machine:yes nod: Handles very well on its active damping:thumbs up: and like others have said very fresh looking. It will be a serious contender when I come to replacing the A4 along with the TT, A3 and 350Z in a couple of years time:smilewinkgrin: I've got first refusal on a white one in 3 years time:Whistle:

N12 JLK
2nd February 2009, 10:35 PM
Very close fight tonight on Fifth Gear, Mini just lost by a hair, nothing in it at all, would have to say the Mini sounded better and to me looks fresher.

Stewart
2nd February 2009, 10:59 PM
Must say I liked the look of the Mini…more fun looking but then again the VW was not looking the best in Red….

Craig
2nd February 2009, 11:16 PM
not a level playing field tho on price... the MINI was 4 Grand cheaper. It would have been more in-line if they had put it up against the JCW (as it would have only been £500 dearer) but then again, they wanted the VW to win. :rolleyes::shut up::yes nod:

euan
3rd February 2009, 09:07 AM
Well, on paper the VW should win, I thought the Mini did really well though. I just wonder how much of a difference DSG made to it, super fast changes on a power circuit...

Scirocco doesn't look good in red, but it looks better on TV in brighter colours so I guess that's why VW sent one. Should have sent a while one!

Stewart
3rd February 2009, 11:03 AM
I cant talk I had about Fifteen years of driving just red cars …………I was determined to either get the Blue or Silver Mini.

I’d love to know were they get there prices from, I remember a while back they said when the newer version cooper came out it was 12K…….and I cant spec a Cooper S for 16K….unless it just comes with nothing but fresh air in the cabin…………the preferred Cooper S I’d like sits at 19K.

euan
3rd February 2009, 11:51 AM
I cant talk I had about Fifteen years of driving just red cars …………I was determined to either get the Blue or Silver Mini.

I’d love to know were they get there prices from, I remember a while back they said when the newer version cooper came out it was 12K…….and I cant spec a Cooper S for 16K….unless it just comes with nothing but fresh air in the cabin…………the preferred Cooper S I’d like sits at 19K.

Tell me about it - I specced one to 21K without really trying.

I think they just use list price for a standard car, pulled straight from the RRP.

ELFMAN
4th February 2009, 02:04 PM
I reckon on a tighter circuit than Castle Combe, which is a very fast track with big long straights and next to no tight corners, the MINI would've been quicker than the Scirocco. Seven hundredths of a second.... Pah!

Price-wise you arguably CAN get an S without spending £19/20K on it - just lay off the toys - it's for driving, not living in. Only thing I'd 'need' on a new S (initially anyway, till I decided to tune it in the next couple of years!) is a decent set of wheels as the standard 16's look tiny on the R56 S. Pitching the VW against a new £21K JCW (which you REALLY don't need to add anything to) would have been realistic for price and the Scirocco wouldn't have seen which way the MINI went.

Best bit though was seeing Plato's face when Tiff was giving it 110% in the VW. Classic.

KenL
4th February 2009, 10:00 PM
I reckon on a tighter circuit than Castle Combe, which is a very fast track with big long straights and next to no tight corners, the MINI would've been quicker than the Scirocco. Seven hundredths of a second.... Pah!

No need to make excuses for the MINI :hand:

I still like the Scirroco, thought it looked great in red.

ELFMAN
5th February 2009, 02:10 PM
No need to make excuses for the MINI :hand:

I still like the Scirroco, thought it looked great in red.

No excuses, just a statement of fact :smilewinkgrin:, I've been to Castle Combe a few times and the extra power (and slippier shape) would make quite a difference on that particular track, whereas a circuit of more 'mixed' layout would favour the better balanced car - ie the MINI - where its weight advantage and agility would pay dividends :idea:.

I like the Scirocco too, it's a fine machine:cool:, but I'd always argue (surprisingly for this website!) that the MINI is the better 'driver's' car.:thumbs up: As I said, the JCW R56 (in the same basic price bracket as the Scirocco) would have skelped it - even at Castle Combe. ;)