PDA

View Full Version : Cooper R56 ITG Filter

Scottie
25th January 2009, 06:04 PM
Finally 1 month after Christmas:frown::frown: Allan fitted my ITG air filter to the Cooper.

I think my car revs more freely now, not sure if it's sounds any different never have the car much above 3000rpn with my hyper driving is it worth the money? maybe not for the way I drive.

Gismo
25th January 2009, 06:57 PM
But...........if it looks good ;)

Scottie
25th January 2009, 07:01 PM
well it looked good when it came out the box, but it went straight into the air filter box, so I can't see it no more.:rolleyes:

Gismo
25th January 2009, 07:05 PM
well it looked good when it came out the box, but it went straight into the air filter box, so I can't see it no more.:rolleyes:Ah :blush:

KenL
25th January 2009, 08:46 PM
As usual, I fail to see the point of these "mods".

Loads of claims (oh it breaths better etc.) but never any hard evidence of any real gains. I remember the report from a rolling road day on MINI2 where R50 ONEs (where easy gains should be available) and standard cars had the same or more bhp than those with fancy filter fitted ;)

The only gain that is a cert is the increase in your insurance premium :hand:

ELFMAN
25th January 2009, 10:37 PM
As usual, I fail to see the point of these "mods".

Loads of claims (oh it breaths better etc.) but never any hard evidence of any real gains. I remember the report from a rolling road day on MINI2 where R50 ONEs (where easy gains should be available) and standard cars had the same or more bhp than those with fancy filter fitted ;)

The only gain that is a cert is the increase in your insurance premium :hand:

Fair enough Ken, but we're not talking' fancy filters' here. A lot of these induction kits don't work as they're drawing in warm air from the engine compartment. I don't remember anyone promising great gains from a replacement element... I fitted an ITG element in my JCW Airbox because I reckon it's better made than the paper one which came as standard and needed replacing. It's using the standard airbox, so the cold air feed's still there. ITG also has a good reputation.

As to what difference it has made? Obviously a small change like an element is subjective on the road, but I can hear a more pronounced induction sound when accelerating even gently, the supercharger 'whine' is certainly more distinct at 4,500rpm when the 2nd intake 'butterfly' opens at the rear of the airbox and it's pulling very well everywhere. The sound alone would seem to indicate that there's less 'restriction' between the engine and the outside world. Fitting an element such as an ITG isn't a 'power mod' in itself, but merely making sure that your engine is getting all the assistance it needs, no great 'improvements', but all these little things add up. It's better designed, made from better materials etc.

In the same token, my GRS Intercooler (arguably more of a 'proper' mod) is probably only worth about 8bhp, but having it maintains the performance which would otherwise drop off a bit with the standard item. It's the sum of the parts which make the whole.

Anyway, if an ITG element is a waste of time, why were most of the fastest motors I saw at Doune Hillclimb last year using ITG Filters? I reckon that tells it's own story. AND it didn't affect my insurance at all!:smilewinkgrin:

Scottie
25th January 2009, 10:40 PM
^^^^^ what Elfman said ^^^^

gauldrymini
26th January 2009, 12:06 PM
I had an ITG foam filter in my Chili Red R56 Cooper and in my opinion it did make the car that wee bit more responsive...in the higher gears especially:smilewinkgrin:

Andrew

KenL
26th January 2009, 05:36 PM
Why don't manufacturers fit these then?

Surely foam is no more expensive than paper?

ELFMAN
27th January 2009, 10:10 AM
The standard filters will be cheaper to produce, the materials and methods of constuction are less costly and the fact that they make them in such huge numbers means that over a period of time they'll save wads of cash. Simple economics. It's the same basic reason the R56 was brought in - the R53 wasn't economical to produce in large numbers.

Moreover, manufacturers aren't interested in extracting every last bit of performance from their engines, so why incur extra expense producing a better filter from more costly materials? They're only looking for a balance of acceptable performance, economy and longevity. The ITG Filter Element lets some tiny dust particles through which they've shown don't harm the engine, whereas the standard filter is 'tighter' over fears of any detrimental effects (BMW warranty paranoia) - therefore it flows less.

MINI don't fit 'performance' filters for the same reason they don't fit better flowed cylinder heads (eg the Works kit replaces the head, so even MINI thought it obviously had 'room for improvement' even though the standard one performed not too badly) same goes for manifolds and cats, exhaust systems, intercoolers etc etc. They're building to a price and therefore must compromise performance to a certain extent. It's why folks like me modify their MINIS - to replace these compromised parts with better bits. And (if you fit the right bits!) it WORKS.

It's what the whole car tuning business is based on - if manufacturers fitted the best possible parts, the whole tuning industry would be on the dole. Although in the present economic climate they might be anyway..... along with the car makers.

N12 JLK
27th January 2009, 10:20 PM
now that our car has done 1500 miles I will be putting my Alta foam filter in, its half the size of the paper one which can only mean more air flow in the box giving better breathing.

Crombers
28th January 2009, 08:51 AM
My 57i sounds fab, & I am therefore happy. End of :thumbs up:

Gismo
28th January 2009, 05:15 PM
My 57i sounds fab, & I am therefore happy. End of :thumbs up:Well, i hope you told your insurers young man :hand:

KenL
28th January 2009, 09:43 PM
Well, i hope you told your insurers young man :hand:

Are you doing my job? :laugh:

Gismo
28th January 2009, 10:15 PM
Are you doing my job? :laugh:;) :Whistle:

Crombers
29th January 2009, 12:22 AM
Well, i hope you told your insurers young man :hand:

Adrian Flux are 'in the know' boss ;) :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
29th January 2009, 12:49 AM
Adrian Flux are 'in the know' boss ;) :smilewinkgrin:Ken will be happy :yes nod: :Whistle: