PDA

View Full Version : Fond adieu MINI.

KenL
16th April 2004, 11:28 PM
Well after a LOT of thought I have decided to change my car and have ordered a VW Golf mkV :eek: I know this may come as a shock but I just fancy a change.

Want something with a bit more space and a lot more comfortable ride than that offered by the MINI. Perhaps I'll regret it but if I do I can always get another MINI in a couple of years.

The MINI can either be traded or I can sell privately - either way I am getting a good deal.

I know the Golf is a bit boring in comparison but at least I'll be able to admire everyone else's MINI.

Not getting the new car until late June so will be around for a while and perhaps even after I'm MINIless if that's allowed :)

I'm getting a 3 door 1.6FSI SE with sports suspension & 3 spoke leather steering wheel in a colour like Dark Silver.

Gismo
16th April 2004, 11:52 PM
Someone else looking for a change, nice one ken, the Mini is not the be all and end all :eek:

Big Col
17th April 2004, 12:14 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bonnie Scotland

the Mini is not the be all and end all :eek:

:eek::eek::eek:Alan!:eek::eek::eek:

Gismo
17th April 2004, 12:30 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col:eek::eek::eek:Alan!:eek::eek::eek:Sshhh :evil:

monkimagic
17th April 2004, 12:37 AM

Someone else looking for a change, nice one ken, the Mini is not the be all and end all :eek:

WHAT THE :question::question::question::question:

Bazthemod
17th April 2004, 12:54 AM
DUM DUM DUM <FREEZE FRAME> :eek:
Will there be no more newminiscotland!? :eek:
Have they all gone insane!:eek:

Tune in later when more peeps post to find out!:D

broken_brian
17th April 2004, 01:18 AM
right everyone that still likes the mini lets get a lynch mob together and lets get all these deserters and we will teach them the error of their ways :mad::mad:

<goes off to tool shed to do some modifications to my baseball bat involving some 6 inch nails>:evil:

Big Col
17th April 2004, 10:57 PM
ooh ooh! Dibs on the crowbar!

Big Col
17th April 2004, 10:59 PM
NO! Wait! I want the piece of 2 x 4!

Big Col
17th April 2004, 11:01 PM
ooh ooh ooh! No! Wait! I'll just grab lnl by the ankles and hit them with him! :D

duncan
17th April 2004, 11:30 PM
Hey Ken,
Sorry to hear our resident technical expert and fellow ONE driver has decided for a change, but if needs must, then there's no other option.

The Golf MK IV is a decent motor, my dad has the 115bhp TDi SE, and its a nice car to drive, so I can only presume the latest model is as good, if not better.

All the best when it arrives, just remember not to throw it into corners as you can with the ONE!

Starky
18th April 2004, 01:40 AM
Sad to hear Ken, whit are you doing with you're whalen, I've not ordered mine just yet, if yer floggin it give me a shout.

Bazthemod
18th April 2004, 02:26 AM
quote:whit are you doing with you're whalen, I've not ordered mine just yet, if yer floggin it give me a shout.

He's quick:D;)

KenL
18th April 2004, 03:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

Sad to hear Ken, whit are you doing with you're whalen, I've not ordered mine just yet, if yer floggin it give me a shout.

Since mine is personalised with my initials I will be keeping it either as an ornament or for use in a future car.

I will though have for sale :) I pair of shark gill side repeaters, an official MINI chrome handbrake, a chrome footrest & an unused PureSilver touch up brush kit ;)

KenL
18th April 2004, 03:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by duncan

Hey Ken,
Sorry to hear our resident technical expert and fellow ONE driver has decided for a change, but if needs must, then there's no other option.

The Golf MK IV is a decent motor, my dad has the 115bhp TDi SE, and its a nice car to drive, so I can only presume the latest model is as good, if not better.

All the best when it arrives, just remember not to throw it into corners as you can with the ONE!

Thanks Duncan. Had a mkV Golf for a day test drive and both me & the missus really liked it.

I agree it won't be as much fun as the MINI but still seems like a decent handling car.

GAJ
18th April 2004, 04:27 AM
Ken, how much for the handbrake?

broken_brian
18th April 2004, 07:13 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col
ooh ooh ooh! No! Wait! I'll just grab lnl by the ankles and hit them with him! :D

hee hee nice one col :D:D:approve:

Linda M
18th April 2004, 11:50 PM
Variety is the spice of life Ken :cool:
Willie just said the other day that this will be his last MINI :eek: but he's a few years to go.

Starky
19th April 2004, 01:32 AM
Just seen a new Golf on the M8 today Ken, looked nice, it had small indicator lights on the end of the mirrors, it also came out well in the test with the new astra in top gear mag. All the best with it when it comes.

Burple
19th April 2004, 03:41 AM
quote:Originally posted by Big Col

OI! Oi! oi!!!!!!
at least let me pick up the Crowbar first!!!!! :p

Big Col
19th April 2004, 03:43 AM
quote:Originally posted by Linda M

Willie just said the other day that this will be his last MINI

Awww why's that Willie M?

KenL
19th April 2004, 05:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by GAJ

Ken, how much for the handbrake?

I'd like to keep it on the car until nearer sale time but how does £25 sound? It cost £45 new from the dealer - it should be in perfect condition.

KenL
19th April 2004, 05:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

Just seen a new Golf on the M8 today Ken, looked nice, it had small indicator lights on the end of the mirrors, it also came out well in the test with the new astra in top gear mag. All the best with it when it comes.

Thanks, glad you liked it :)

The mirrors look pretty flashy but no doubt an insurance job to replace one if it gets clipped on a narrow street.

Willie M
19th April 2004, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear you've decided to move on KenL but I can understand 'some' of your reasons for doing so. I certainly don't think you can go far wrong with the Golf.

You may need to get a special resolution passed (EGM anyone? ;)) if you wanted to come along on any future runs, but please DO stick around the forums. Don't be a stranger.

As for me, I certainly intend to keep Chunk for at least 2-3 years. The car is just awesome fun but I must admit that the harsh ride from the SS+ and the runflats is starting to tire me a little (travelled about 1500 miles over 2 weekends recently). Guess I'll just need to stick to shorter fun runs on twisty country roads :D

When's the next run then? :cool:

Wul
19th April 2004, 05:09 PM
Well Ken - never thought i'd see this day - but can't blame you either.

Your new VeeDub sounds cool :cool: Hope you like it. Personally I don't like the look of the new golf as i think VW have made it look too much like the pug 307 (but then the Mk1 is still by far the best looking golf :p) - but i'm sure it will be an excellent car.

Don't think we'll need to worry about Ken hanging around these parts, the VW forums are full of boyracers and rice traders! :p not half as much fun as NMS/ MINI2. ;)

KenL
19th April 2004, 09:34 PM
Yes Wul, I do see the similarity to the 307 but I like the look of it as well although wouldn't buy a Pug as any one I've tried has a horrible driving position. Never really liked the mk4 apart from the R32 but really like the mk5.

It will never look like a MINI which I still firmly believe is the best looking affordable car available at the moment by a looooooooooooooooooong way. If only they were built better :disapprove: That is actually the main reason I am not getting another MINI. If I spend £16k or so on one that had so many niggling faults I would be gutted.

broken_brian
19th April 2004, 11:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by Willie M

As for me, I certainly intend to keep Chunk for at least 2-3 years. The car is just awesome fun but I must admit that the harsh ride from the SS+ and the runflats is starting to tire me a little (travelled about 1500 miles over 2 weekends recently). Guess I'll just need to stick to shorter fun runs on twisty country roads :D

When's the next run then? :cool:

i will give you a shot of my classic, you will never complain about ss+ ever again as my car has must be one of the harshest cars in nms due to its gas shockys and four lumps of rubber supposedly called springs. it can get a bit uncomfortable at times just ask lnl

Burple
19th April 2004, 11:47 PM
Uncomfortable???? nah... F U N ! ! ! ! :D

were you ever in my ickle brown one? (The Mini!!!!)
lowered to within an inch of it's life... AVO shocks (I think they were meant for a truck!! ;)) and Kevlar bucket seats with not a lot of padding... and race harnesses too..
Made the 1000 or so Mile round trip to Castle Combe a lot of fun!! (But it was untouchable on the track and twisties!!!!) SS+ is a luxury!! :D:D

;)

Wul
19th April 2004, 11:54 PM

Someone else looking for a change:eek:

Who else is on the move? Have I missed something while I was away?:eek:

Bazthemod
20th April 2004, 12:06 AM
How about you Linda will it be a MINI that replaces Daisy or are you to going over to the dark side? :evil::D;)

KenL
20th April 2004, 12:19 AM
quote:Originally posted by Wul

Someone else looking for a change:eek:

Who else is on the move? Have I missed something while I was away?:eek:

I read it as Bonnie Scotland himself looking to change :eek:

Linda M
20th April 2004, 12:47 AM
quote:Originally posted by Bazthemod

How about you Linda will it be a MINI that replaces Daisy or are you to going over to the dark side? :evil::D;)
Nah, it'll be a MINI until I can afford my Aston Martin :cool:

Big Col
20th April 2004, 05:35 PM
Awwwwww you're not getting rid of Daisy next week are you Linda? ;)

Big Gordy
20th April 2004, 06:56 PM
I must admit to the suspension being the main reason, along with cost for choosing the 'ONE' over the cooper. Having just changed Mutley's winter wellies (15" steelies) for his summer sandals (17" alloys) I can honestly say that the ride is slightly stiffer (ooooooeeeer missis:p) with road noise rising marginaly as well. Don't think it makes any difference to the handling (well not that I can detect anyway). One thing the alloy do do though is make my daughter want me to take her 'cruising' in it :D She wasn't keen to be seen in it with the steelies on. She's such a poser :p:D:approve:

duncan
20th April 2004, 09:35 PM
A nice set of 16's is all you need, not too stiff, decent handling, and after seeing them thrashed when flat, pretty safe too.