PDA

View Full Version : re-map advice

GCA3N
20th January 2009, 12:58 PM
Right I live in deepest darkest ayrshire:beer:, I have fitted an aftermarket exhaust (meerkat) and put on a K&N 57i induction kit:cool:. I need somewhere, relatively nearby, to have my cooper re-mapped. Can anyone reccommend some where decent, how long it would take and roughly how much it would cost, thanks folks:thumbs up:

Burple
20th January 2009, 04:19 PM
Just a suggestion, but you could get a Bluefin from somewhere like Lohen...?

They'll post it out, probably next day delivery, and you can do it yourself in 10 mins... it really is that simple..

unless of course you want a custom map done..

:thumbs up:

GCA3N
20th January 2009, 06:40 PM
would rather get a custom re-map, the bluefin would be a generic re-map.

ELFMAN
27th January 2009, 06:16 PM
Wouldn't a 'custom' re-map be pretty expensive considering the relatively light mods? I know folks have run exhausts and filters without that added expense. I could be wrong though. It would maximise the benefits of the changes.... Hmmmmmm. Just make sure you're getting plenty of COLD air into that filter! Personally I'd have a word with Andrey at Lohen for some advice - no point spending dosh you don't need to!!!

Gismo
27th January 2009, 06:36 PM
Wouldn't a 'custom' re-map be pretty expensive considering the relatively light mods?I paid for an MTH custom remap for my previous Cooper, it suffered the yo-yo and annoyed the hell outta me, not only did it cure it, but, the engine ran far smoother as well, not saying i got any massive gains in BHP, didn't care , it wasn't cheap

Scottie
27th January 2009, 08:35 PM
try angel tuning:cool:

Crombers
28th January 2009, 08:54 AM
I paid for an MTH custom remap for my previous Cooper, it suffered the yo-yo and annoyed the hell outta me, not only did it cure it, but, the engine ran far smoother as well, not saying i got any massive gains in BHP, didn't care , it wasn't cheap

Gonna run this 'yo - yo' past me. Lost as to what this means boss :confused:

Gismo
28th January 2009, 05:17 PM
Gonna run this 'yo - yo' past me. Lost as to what this means boss :confused:When you press the accelerator the car would stumble, would fail to go without jerking a bit like kangaroo petrol when you first started learning, commonly referred to as yo-yo.

Burple
28th January 2009, 05:40 PM
When you press the accelerator the car would stumble, would fail to go without jerking a bit like kangaroo petrol when you first started learning, commonly referred to as yo-yo.

My older (03) Cooper suffered from this a bit too when pulling away. Never got the chance to get it remapped to see if that cured it. It certainly doesn't happen with the new(er) remapped One ;)

Go on go on go on go on go on GO ON!!! you know you want to ;):bigwave::D

ELFMAN
28th January 2009, 05:59 PM
That's OK to rectify an annoying fault, but can't help thinking it's OTT for a filter & exhaust upgrade if the car's going OK... I mean don't think Crombers has been re-mapped (neither has his motor) and he's running fine with the 57i and an exhaust and it's sounding nice too...

I was under the impression that one-off £££ Ker-Chiiing! Custom Remaps were only really required after some fairly 'serious' engine mods had been carried out - like Cam swaps, heads, injectors etc etc. 'Dastek' in Dalgety Bay could do the work, but I haven't used them, so can't personally recommend them.

I ran a Magnex exhaust on my '01 Cooper, never touched the mapping and was well happy. However, I later fitted a Pipercross Cone Filter and actually LOST performance, so I took it off after 3 weeks - I came to the conclusion that where it was positioned (not boxed in and down the front of the engine bay) was just drawing in hot air from the engine compartment. It was also REALLY NOISY! (I like a loud car... but that was just silly). BUT - Folks seem to have fitted the K&N 57i induction kit with good results - or at least no loss of performance with a great intake sound. Makes you think... some things work, others don't.

GCA3N
28th January 2009, 06:55 PM
I can't make too mant comparisons on this subject. All i would say is that after I fitted an after market exhaust, it seemed to loose performance, due to altering the exhaust back pressure. The induction kit has caused a change too, I get the car re-mapped on tuesday from a tuning company south of glasgow. I discussed in length the issues and he has stated that the remap will sort this, make the car more responsive and generally drive better, add to this the better fuel economy I think it will benefit the cars overall performance (he also stated that he tunes racing mini's and would be able to get a good 15bhp too) I guess it's alot to spend on what could possibly be little benefit, only time will tell. It's getting done on tuesday coming, so i'll let you know what my overall opinion is......:frown::thumbs up:

Gismo
28th January 2009, 07:49 PM
I remember V3 NGS adding some kind of throttle booster thing to improve throttle response, maybe that could help as well :yes nod:

Craig
28th January 2009, 09:02 PM
be interested to hear how this goes greig... ;)

ELFMAN
29th January 2009, 09:31 AM
From personal experience (see previous posts) I can see how the induction kit could cause some problems, but I've never heard of losing performance fitting a performance exhaust to a standard car. I've fitted aftermarket exhausts to EVERY car I've owned and always found at least some improvement in performance as well as the sounds. My first Cooper definitely benefitted from the Magnex system. Hope your remap sorts it all out. Expensive way to get that 15bhp though...

Fartin Martin
12th November 2009, 01:28 PM
When you press the accelerator the car would stumble, would fail to go without jerking a bit like kangaroo petrol when you first started learning, commonly referred to as yo-yo.

I cured this with my Cooper by using super un-leaded!;), and it felt nippier!!:D

couldn't go back to regular!!

rpn
12th November 2009, 06:46 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/rpn48/1_resurrection.jpg

Nearly a year old thread :lol:

Fartin Martin
12th November 2009, 10:00 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214/rpn48/1_resurrection.jpg

Nearly a year old thread :lol:

:lol:..was just being noesy and found it..just thought I would get my wee bit in!!:P

k3ith
4th December 2009, 11:00 PM
So then what remaps are available for the Cooper and who does them? I am not keen on the previous posts about Bluefin as I have seen their work on the MKV golf platform and while they seem to have sorted things I would rather have something better if its possible.

Do Milltek to zorsts for the cooper:confused: time to check.

stoney
5th December 2009, 06:53 PM
if you dont want bluefin then it is custom re map i think !!!!!!!!!!

R32GTR
5th December 2009, 07:07 PM
the only place in the uk with the brains to map a mini right are 1320 in st neots.