PDA

View Full Version : help

BOYROLLO
19th January 2009, 12:06 AM
hi guys names steve rollo looking to get a cooper s......actually meant to be travelling to london on thursday to see one guy seems very genuine what should i be looking for problem wise its an 02 plate with 69k looked for a buyers guide but could find one if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated

MrMischief
19th January 2009, 12:35 AM
Hey,

At that mileage check for usual wear & tear, obvious accident damage repairs, signs of overspray etc. Mini specific, make sure the power steering's working ok - not too noisy, make sure the gears select smoothly & listen for the death rattle from the supercharger on acceleration (listen with the window down whilst on the move). Make sure the car doesn't overheat as the early plastic waterpumps can self-destruct. The electric window actuators can be a bit funny too, if the windows don't go down then they'll foul the door rubbers as they move a little bit every time the doors open & close. Apart from that, they're quite bulletproof :smilewinkgrin:

Depending on what you're looking for, go for a high spec (at least chilli pack) as they're quite basic without any of the optional packs - like most BMW's.

Are you the same boyrollo that appears on DDC?

Good luck finding a good one. :thumbs up:

Gismo
19th January 2009, 03:58 AM
Make sure it doesn't pull to the left and check with a BMW dealer if it had the recall.
Also, the early ones had a passenger door seal problem that resulted in a wet seat belt, so, use a hose on the passenger door and then extend the seat belt and check under the actual seat material for dampness

bazzaric
19th January 2009, 12:40 PM
I just paid £7k for a 53' Plate cooper S in dark silver. I think it was a fair price from looking around. Managed to get it in Edinburgh.

The problems i've found are noisy brakes, blocked water jets and the passenger seat sometimes doesn't go back upright after sliding back. Make sure you check any sunroofs and of course if your planning on driving back up the road, check the usual oil/water, etc.

Ohhh, condition of alloys too

BOYROLLO
19th January 2009, 10:08 PM
yes mr the very same had some more emails from the guy today all alloys have marks and the airbag warning light is on the guy has said bmw quoted £100 to fix a loose connection so am a bit wary to travel that far and the car might be a binner so thinking i should just buy my time and save more money and just see what comes up but if anyone needs to sell there 's' for around 5-6k then feel free to email me would even consider a high spec cooper but would have to be a good one

bazzaric
19th January 2009, 10:19 PM
Bit more than your willing to spend but... (http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/MINI+COOPER+S/Ne-2-4-5-6-7-8-27-44-49-53-61-64-67-103-133-146-236,N-240-4294965324-4294966594/advert.action?R=200903326895382&distance=85&postcode=ab12+4tz&channel=CARS&make=MINI&model=COOPER+S&min_pr=&max_pr=&max_mileage=&vehicleYearOfManufacture=2003&vehicleRegLetter=03)

bazzaric
19th January 2009, 10:22 PM
and this looks a cracker (http://www.mini2.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/4865/cat/2)

and this... (http://www.mini2.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/4826/cat/2)

MrMischief
20th January 2009, 09:53 PM
yes mr the very same had some more emails from the guy today all alloys have marks and the airbag warning light is on the guy has said bmw quoted £100 to fix a loose connection so am a bit wary to travel that far and the car might be a binner so thinking i should just buy my time and save more money and just see what comes up but if anyone needs to sell there 's' for around 5-6k then feel free to email me would even consider a high spec cooper but would have to be a good one

That's quite common too, he's right about the connector under the seat for the airbag - it can be hit by rear seat passenger's feet. There's a wiring loom extension remedy from MINI. Ours was £80 to get fixed, others have had it free....depends if they've met their targets I guess :ragin:

Those negative issues are all bargaining points and fairly minor. If the rest of the car looks good then haggle him down. There's plenty choice out there though.

BOYROLLO
20th January 2009, 09:53 PM
Cheers baz yeah a bit more than i have to spend but nice all the same.....actually found another one that am waiting on word back about its an 'S' with a decent spec inculding climate for not a lot over 5 k so fingers crossed

bazzaric
20th January 2009, 11:29 PM
fdmfkmsdfkajf

...ok, I tried crossing my fingers for you but couldn't type :D