PDA

View Full Version : Debate - trial by jury

Sheilz
18th January 2009, 02:23 PM
Police chiefs are calling for this to be ended in relation to very serious offences. Which offences they refer to is not stated. I would presume they mean terrorism and other offences against the state, perhaps also when dealing with major organised crime such as drug trafficking and paedophilia.

Should it or should it not be retained?

Gismo
18th January 2009, 02:39 PM
Difficult to debate it Sheilz if we don't know what they are on about.
But, too many times the wrong people are being convicted and i see that as a major stumbling block

illegalhunter
18th January 2009, 11:37 PM
big brother state next

Sheilz
19th January 2009, 02:08 AM
According to the article in the paper the only time in Scottish legal history that trial by jury has been denied was for the Lockerbie terrorists. They were tried by a panel of three judges. In their case the judges decision was found to be unsafe. Personally I'd be concerned about our civil liberties and the fact that we are already so far down the road to being an Orwellian society. If I was in the dock I'm not sure if I'd want my future to be decided by 12 random people who might be influenced by so many variables or three judges who also might be influenced by equally as many variables!

illegalhunter
19th January 2009, 10:19 AM
Its all wrong when they took away the double jepoardy rule , kepp trying till they get a conviction.

Sheilz
19th January 2009, 05:43 PM
Its all wrong when they took away the double jepoardy rule , kepp trying till they get a conviction.

I've heard about this but dont understand how it works.