PDA

View Full Version : spotlights

dougie_dfc
16th January 2009, 12:17 AM
Just wondering if anyone could help,
looking to get a price for 2 and a price for 4 spotlights for a r52 cooper....
would need to be near the Dundee area if anyone has used anywhere or JC?, plus fitting..

any help would be much appreciated thanks :D

Ferengo
16th January 2009, 09:19 AM
I used Kevin Pirie and Son at the docks in Dundee next to the Arnold Clark Vauxhall garage.

They did 2 for me then an addition 2 at a later date. Very good job to. It was on an R56.

They are around £35 plus vat where I think JCs are about £95 plus vat. I would have gone to JCs but as you can see the price swung it for me.

If it had been an engine or mechanical thing getting done then there would have been no question... JCs, but since it was just adding spotlights I knew from previous experience that Kevin Piries do a good job. You also get the car back the same day. :thumbs up:.

If you want to see the job they've done then just PM me. I need to get petrol so if you're working tonight I'll pop down if you let me know.

Unit 3, The Fruitmarket, East Dock St, Dundee, Angus DD1 3JN
Tel: 01382 228989

Hope this helps.

Just wondering if anyone could help,
looking to get a price for 2 and a price for 4 spotlights for a r52 cooper....
would need to be near the Dundee area if anyone has used anywhere or JC?, plus fitting..

any help would be much appreciated thanks :D

dougie_dfc
16th January 2009, 03:55 PM
thanks for that, pretty cheap compared to JC!
do u knw if its the same spotlights, or do you get different sizes and that?
if its where i think it is, my dad knows the guy and thats where i got the hands free put in, which was a good job!
wont be working again till Monday night but thanks for the help!

Craig
16th January 2009, 04:25 PM
you can buy stainless wipac spots (which look the same as the MINI ones) for £40 per pair from Moss Europe. Thats where I got mine from. get them wired up and it works out much cheaper than a genuine kit. :thumbs up:

Ferengo
16th January 2009, 05:15 PM
I bought Genuine ones from JC's. David got me a good deal on them. Since you have a different model I know there are compatible ones out there like Craig says, but for the R56 there is very little unless you want to go across the pond.

Ebay is a good bet for a price. I don't think Kevin Pirie supply the spotlights but you could ask. They have no problem fitting ones that they don't supply. For ease I supplied them with a printout of the instructions which someone on here should have.

I highly recommend them for any electrical repair or mod. Try one of the sponsors for spotlights like JCs or www.newministuff.com they might sort you out.

dougie_dfc
16th January 2009, 08:38 PM
thanks Craig and Ferengo, been looking on the internet at it seems theres loads of options so ill need to figure out what i actually want...whether getting rid of the grill and replacing it with the black grill
There also seems to be a lot of people getting rust appearing after only 6 months of the spotlights being...has anyone had any problem with theirs as of yet?

Sheilz
16th January 2009, 10:56 PM
Pity you've gone and bought original ones. They're not good. I've had to replace two from four and now notice the last two originals need replacing, also due to corrosion. Bizarrely enough inside the lens rather than around the outside.

dougie_dfc
17th January 2009, 02:39 AM
Pity you've gone and bought original ones. They're not good. I've had to replace two from four and now notice the last two originals need replacing, also due to corrosion. Bizarrely enough inside the lens rather than around the outside.

thats not the best!
how long did yours last before you had to replace them?
have you replaced them with minis own ones or gone for a different option this time?
don't want to get them then all of a sudden i need to keep buying replacements :frown:

Gismo
17th January 2009, 04:08 AM
My BMW ones always rusted, i got fed up and decided on Hella's supplied by Mikey at newministuff.
They are larger than the standard size and not to everyones taste, much more expensive too.
Cause i had 4 spots i got a stainless spotlight bar that fitted onto the bumper mounts and means no modding through the grilles

Crombers
17th January 2009, 10:58 AM
Hella's supplied by Mikey at newministuff.
They are larger than the standard size and not to everyones taste, much more expensive too.
Cause i had 4 spots i got a stainless spotlight bar that fitted onto the bumper mounts and means no modding through the grilles

You got any pics of your Hella spots ?

Gismo
17th January 2009, 11:06 AM
You got any pics of your Hella spots ?There are pictures in my gallery, but, here ya go:-

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/site_pictures/the_gismo_man/hella_spots.jpg

Crombers
17th January 2009, 11:45 AM
Just checked your pic gallery, I do like the look of the 'larger' spot

Mmmmmm, food for tought

Are the Hella's rust free ?

Gismo
17th January 2009, 11:50 AM
Just checked your pic gallery, I do like the look of the 'larger' spot

Mmmmmm, food for tought

Are the Hella's rust free ?Yes, i have them on the classic as well and so far, no rust

G19RNT
17th January 2009, 03:18 PM
i would go for the stainless wipac ones thats what i have and have no rust problems unlike the chrome wipacs i had which rusted very badly after only a month

dougie_dfc
17th January 2009, 06:26 PM
i would go for the stainless wipac ones thats what i have and have no rust problems unlike the chrome wipacs i had which rusted very badly after only a month

do u know anywhere that i can get stainless wipacs, had a look at Moss Europe but couldn't see any stainless ones?

Colin
17th January 2009, 08:14 PM
do u know anywhere that i can get stainless wipacs, had a look at Moss Europe but couldn't see any stainless ones?

Here's a link their website is not very well laid out. - LINK (http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=11037)

I have the very same lights on my car.

Sheilz
17th January 2009, 09:32 PM
My originals lasted about three and a half years, the other half of the four are now four and a half and defo need to go. I bought the pair of replacements from Fay (Fairy) always meant to ask her where they'd come from as need to match them up. The replacements had the same set up as the originals so didnt need a bar or anything. These are still in perfect nick but then I try to look after them to prevent rusting.

dougie_dfc
18th January 2009, 01:01 AM
Here's a link their website is not very well laid out. - LINK (http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=11037)

I have the very same lights on my car.

thanks for that, im guessing i would need to buy the driving lamp set, bracket set stainless steel, wiring kit and bulb? is that right :confused:

I was just getting lost on that website but came across spot lights with angel eye surrounds, looked really good but can't find any with stainless steel :frown:

thanks for the help :thumbs up:

Colin
18th January 2009, 08:17 PM
thanks for that, im guessing i would need to buy the driving lamp set, bracket set stainless steel, wiring kit and bulb? is that right :confused:

I was just getting lost on that website but came across spot lights with angel eye surrounds, looked really good but can't find any with stainless steel :frown:

thanks for the help :thumbs up:

Yup, correct apart from the bulbs. The bulbs come with the lights. :yes nod:

As for the wiring kit there are two shown on the website the MINI wiring harness and a universal one. Don't know what would be included in the MINI one :confused: maybe phone them and ask.
If you are getting a garage to do it for you I wouldn't bother with the wiring kit, a good garage should have all the stuff needed to wire them.

dougie_dfc
19th January 2009, 03:19 PM
Yup, correct apart from the bulbs. The bulbs come with the lights. :yes nod:

As for the wiring kit there are two shown on the website the MINI wiring harness and a universal one. Don't know what would be included in the MINI one :confused: maybe phone them and ask.
If you are getting a garage to do it for you I wouldn't bother with the wiring kit, a good garage should have all the stuff needed to wire them.

Thanks, i opened it up and didn't have a clue what each part was meant for but understand now....was looking on ebay and prices are much cheaper for the lights, brackets and wiring all coming as one package so i might look into that if it's going to work out a lot cheaper

Ferengo
19th January 2009, 11:27 PM
There are pictures in my gallery, but, here ya go:-

http://www.newminiscotland.co.uk/site_pictures/the_gismo_man/hella_spots.jpg

If you look closely enough you can just make out The Stig behind the wheel. I don't think Alan works abroad at all, he moonlights on Top Gear :D. Nice Spots, 4 always looks sweet.