PDA

View Full Version : Halo sidelights & MOT

RyanK
13th January 2009, 01:53 AM
Hi, I've got my MOT tomorrow and was wondering if anyone has had their car pass with the Halo sidelights.

I have heard of people being stopped and fined for the lights even though they are E-marked so just wondering whether or not to keep them on for the mot. Tried to fit the standard sidelights today but realised that they are missing the bulb connectors :ragin:

If anyone in Aberdeen has a 1x standard sidelight for use on Wesdnesday PM me :laugh: :thumbs up:

Forbes
13th January 2009, 09:01 AM
I used my Halos at JCs and passed. Got standard ones in the garage aswell if you want

Burple
13th January 2009, 11:00 AM
You should be fine. Mine passed with them on before Christmas time :cool::thumbs up:

RyanK
13th January 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for that, I will be keeping them on knowing that you guys have passed :thumbs up:

Cheers for the offer ben

YngStvn
13th January 2009, 01:41 PM
I had the halo side lights on, but the garage had to change my bulbs as the ones that were in the light when i got them were too blue apparently.

mikeythemini
13th January 2009, 02:21 PM
The bulb holders will be on the car - you leave them on the car , pull the bulb out & attach the halo wire ;)

KenL
13th January 2009, 10:52 PM
If you can fail an MOT, should you have them on the car at all?

Craig
13th January 2009, 11:07 PM
they are E-marked and people pass mot's with them on their car Ken, so I think that is irrelevant... :rolleyes:

Forbes
13th January 2009, 11:07 PM
They are E marked which means they should be ok. But for some reason some places don't like them.

KenL
13th January 2009, 11:17 PM
they are E-marked and people pass mot's with them on their car Ken, so I think that is irrelevant... :rolleyes:

It is only irrelevant if nobody fails their MOT with them in :smilewinkgrin:

YngStvn - were your's e-marked?

rpn
13th January 2009, 11:19 PM
My Cooper passed MOT twice with halo sidelights, no problem at all. :thumbs up:

Craig
13th January 2009, 11:21 PM
It is only irrelevant if nobody fails their MOT with them in :smilewinkgrin:

YngStvn - were your's e-marked?

the problem is not the product, but the garage's not checking the product and what could be described as "picking" on people who mod their car...

I would not accept a fail on my car with my new headlights in as they are e-marked... ;)

KenL
13th January 2009, 11:26 PM
I would not accept a fail on my car with my new headlights in as they are e-marked... ;)

What would you do, what can you do? No doubt these guys can be stubborn :ragin:

How do they check the light? Do they have a tester that measures the colour of the light?

If they do, and it is calibrated, that will carry more weight than any "e-mark" as it is possible the light could change colour.

Craig
13th January 2009, 11:29 PM
The lights are marked (ie they have the marking physically on them) so I would be saying that I bought them in good faith and would not be accepting a fail.

I would say tho that the vast majority of people are saying here that there isn't a problem (with only Steven having an issue) so think this has been answered.

Will they pass an MOT - Yes. :thumbs up:

RyanK
14th January 2009, 12:17 AM
Thanks folks for the feedback:computer:

The answer seems to be yes & therefore they are staying on

Cheers:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Forbes
14th January 2009, 12:20 AM
Where you getting it done Ryan?

RyanK
14th January 2009, 12:32 AM
Lochside Motors :thumbs up:

Gismo
14th January 2009, 03:55 AM
If you can fail an MOT, should you have them on the car at all?:off topic: Ken, have you ever in your life ever done anything that remotley is ever so slightly illegal :rolleyes: some folks call it fun :D

KenL
14th January 2009, 12:07 PM
No Gismo man - I am here to uphold the law :smilewinkgrin::hand:

...or be a PITA :blush:

Gismo
14th January 2009, 12:23 PM
No Gismo man - I am here to uphold the law :smilewinkgrin::hand:

...or be a PITA :blush::lol:

MINI William
14th January 2009, 01:27 PM
There is a bit about this in todays Auto Express about a guy buying these and failing his MOT :yes nod:

Forbes
14th January 2009, 06:40 PM
WHat does it say? Any legal or illegal stuff?

RyanK
14th January 2009, 07:18 PM
Well I failed today because of the Halo sidelights :laugh::lol:

Had a debate with the tester informing him that the lights were clearly marked with the Emark logo and that no one else seems to have had any problems. The guy told me however that no 'blue' lights are allowed, they have to be white or yellow. So then I asked why cars with xenons pass but started going on about automated levelling when i was relating simply to the colur of xenons ha. Nevermind whats done, i've got white bulbs fitted for the resit on Friday.

Something else wrong with the car is that the headlights do not adjust. I thought they were dipping very low & the tester clarified that there must be a problem with the switch itself. Does anyone know how to fix this??

Cheers

MINI William
14th January 2009, 07:26 PM
WHat does it say? Any legal or illegal stuff?

Just that a guy failed because he had them like Ryan.Auto express contacted VOSA and newministuff and both say if they are emarked they are legal

KenL
14th January 2009, 08:54 PM
Well I failed today because of the Halo sidelights :laugh::lol:

Had a debate with the tester informing him that the lights were clearly marked with the Emark logo and that no one else seems to have had any problems. The guy told me however that no 'blue' lights are allowed, they have to be white or yellow. So then I asked why cars with xenons pass but started going on about automated levelling when i was relating simply to the colur of xenons ha. Nevermind whats done, i've got white bulbs fitted for the resit on Friday.

Oops :eek:

I'm saying no more on this subject :frown:

Crombers
14th January 2009, 09:21 PM
Something else wrong with the car is that the headlights do not adjust. I thought they were dipping very low & the tester clarified that there must be a problem with the switch itself. Does anyone know how to fix this??

Cheers

The best information I have is this :

If you have halogen headlamps fitted, you can sort the problem by opening the bonnet, switching your dip beam lights on, you need another person to operate the level switch (0, 1 & 2, near the ingntion barrel) and slaming the bonnet shut at the same time, (not to hard) , this will jolt the motors as the adjuster sticks, you should find them to be okay then, i know its a bit extreme but it does work okay

Alternatively :

however a good whack (obviously not too hard ) on the lamp while twiddling the switch did the trick
This would you believe came from a BMW mechanic who uses/advises on MINI2.

I opted for a mild whack & this worked for me :clap:

RyanK
14th January 2009, 11:33 PM
Cheers crombers i'll give it a whack!

Forbes
15th January 2009, 12:31 AM
That is wierd you failed. That the only thing?

Gismo
15th January 2009, 04:02 AM
Oops :eek:

I'm saying no more on this subject :frown:I'm due an MOT this year and i have the halo lights, so, i wonder what will happen to me, i'll certainly be arguing the blue tinge to headlights if i fail and that the lamps are e-marked

stoney
15th January 2009, 10:08 AM
well mine was done with the halo side lights in and pass no prob mind you mine passed with clear rear lights as well;)

Gismo
15th January 2009, 12:21 PM
mind you mine passed with clear rear lights as well;)Ssh, don't tell KenL :D

Forbes
15th January 2009, 01:09 PM
So did mine actually, but i had red reflectors

Gismo
15th January 2009, 02:10 PM
So did mine actually, but i had red reflectorsI also complied fully with the law and attached red reflectors :thumbs up:

Forbes
15th January 2009, 07:09 PM
I also complied fully with the law and attached red reflectors :thumbs up:

Mine are off again though:blush:
Deciding how/ which ones to go with

YngStvn
15th January 2009, 07:12 PM
Yeah they are E-Marked

stoney
15th January 2009, 07:22 PM

non ;)

RyanK
15th January 2009, 08:16 PM
Forbes, failed on the sidelights and the fact that the headlights were dipped too low and the function for rising them is knackered. Got the little faults sorted today tho and its passed now.

Pissed off at how everyone else is passing with them haha. The tester was an old guy and I think it was a case of young loon/modified car/blue bulbs min ken = Fail :rolleyes:

Liking the look of white halos, quite oem looking:yes nod:

Crombers
15th January 2009, 09:26 PM
Forbes, failed on the sidelights and the fact that the headlights were dipped too low and the function for rising them is knackered. Got the little faults sorted today tho and its passed now.

How did you get the fix on the headlights ?

RyanK
15th January 2009, 11:48 PM
I just manually sorted them from behind the headlights

Crombers
16th January 2009, 08:33 AM
I just manually sorted them from behind the headlights

Mmmm, I was sure it was a sealed unit :rolleyes: :Whistle: but 'hey ho' your now fixed.

mikeythemini
16th January 2009, 06:55 PM
Got a tale to tell about this but its a looooooong one so will post it up over the weekend :)

Crombers
17th January 2009, 11:13 AM
Got a tale to tell about this but its a looooooong one so will post it up over the weekend :)

Tale on halo's or headlamps :confused:

Gismo
17th January 2009, 11:30 AM

Tale on halo's or headlamps :confused:Taps fingers on desk :Whistle:

MartinSullivan
17th January 2009, 12:07 PM

I just bought two of the red inner door reflectors from a Cooper, filed off the lugs that hold them in the door and glued them to the mesh in the bottom of the S bumper. Cheap, effective, not too obtrusive and legal

Craig
17th January 2009, 12:18 PM
I just bought two of the red inner door reflectors from a Cooper, filed off the lugs that hold them in the door and glued them to the mesh in the bottom of the S bumper. Cheap, effective, not too obtrusive and legal

same here. :thumbs up: Got the trick off Mikey :smilewinkgrin:

Gismo
17th January 2009, 12:19 PM

same here. :thumbs up: Got the trick off Mikey :smilewinkgrin:Yep, me too :thumbs up:

MartinSullivan
17th January 2009, 09:00 PM
same here. :thumbs up: Got the trick off Mikey :smilewinkgrin:

I didnt :thumbs up:

Gismo
19th January 2009, 04:57 AM

Taps fingers on desk :Whistle::Whistle: :lol: