PDA

View Full Version : Best way to upgrade my BHP

GCA3N
10th January 2009, 09:31 PM
Being doing a little research on a superchip upgrade, in particular the bluefin. It seems that the best i can get from the cooper is about 10BHP (at 5000 rpm) Has anyone carried out this mod and do they think £250 for such a small difference is worth it. Does anyone have any other suggestions (appart from buying a cooper s) as to how i can get some extra BHP for say around the £500 mark. Many thanks:thumbs up:

Colin
10th January 2009, 10:43 PM
It's hard to get more out the Cooper. If it had been the MINI One then you would have seen some bigger gains. Don't know what your set up is just now but for £500 you could get a sports exhaust and air filter, would not give you much more HP maybe 4 or 5, but it would sound better. (or buy an S) :smilewinkgrin: £250 seems a lot for not a lot IMO

illegalhunter
10th January 2009, 10:44 PM
I had the remapon mine ,well worth the money .An induction kit will help aswell

Colin
10th January 2009, 10:52 PM
I had the remapon mine ,well worth the money .An induction kit will help aswell

I've heard the remap makes it feel a little more responsive on the throttle, would that be true?

Gismo
11th January 2009, 03:38 AM
Best you can really hope for on a Cooper is a better map to help with the fuelling.
My last Cooper had the yo yo problem and it was cured with a remap, this also made the throttle response a wee bit more lively, but, sadly, no way are you gonna get 10 BHP more.

GCA3N
11th January 2009, 12:11 PM
If you go to http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/minicooper.pdf it shows a 10bhp increase at a shade under 6000 rpm. I guess you would have to absolutely boot it to get that. The torque graph looks better though, it gives you greater torque right through the rev range.

RyanK
11th January 2009, 12:29 PM
I have the bluefin on my mini one and the performance has increased alot. 'performance' doesn't kick in until 4k though and its by no means fast! I did run a pipercross viper for a bit which helped with acceleration a tad.

IMO you would be better to scource a custom remap, bluefins are good but I've heard you can get more from a laptop setup. Also pickup and ITG filter/Pipercross Viper, Newman Cam, Denso Spark plugs, Milltek cat-back along with a Janspeed manifold. The list is endless

If you have £1500 though...Performance intake system lol http://haywardperformance.com/intake.htm :thumbs up:

Crombers
12th January 2009, 09:12 AM
The re map gains are best on a One. I've looked at it & might get the map one day but thus far I've gone for exhaust & induction. If I had a spare £500 right now I'd be going for a manifold in order to complete the 'sound system' :cool: so that I would have the Cooper version of the Elfman's 'S' :thumbs up:

Burple
12th January 2009, 05:25 PM
I've heard the remap makes it feel a little more responsive on the throttle, would that be true?

Yes :cool:
DEfinitely on the One, from first startup after the remap, it sounded different, more growly. :D It's quite similar now to the old 03 Cooper I used to have, except it seems to pick up a wee bit smoother, and revs a bit higher. Liek the old Cooper, there's a definite surge over about 3.5 -4k revs, just a little bit stronger than the Cooper was. Not a lot tho, it's just a wee bit nicer to drive than the Cooper (but 10x better when it was a standard One ;):cool:)

You might not notice any real power gains with an induction kit and exhaust, but it will be a little bit more responsive on the throttle.
As for exhausts.. only one word.. Playmini! :D

stoney
12th January 2009, 10:41 PM
Yes :cool:
DEfinitely on the One, from first startup after the remap, it sounded different, more growly. :D It's quite similar now to the old 03 Cooper I used to have, except it seems to pick up a wee bit smoother, and revs a bit higher. Liek the old Cooper, there's a definite surge over about 3.5 -4k revs, just a little bit stronger than the Cooper was. Not a lot tho, it's just a wee bit nicer to drive than the Cooper (but 10x better when it was a standard One ;):cool:)

You might not notice any real power gains with an induction kit and exhaust, but it will be a little bit more responsive on the throttle.
As for exhausts.. only one word.. Playmini! :D

or the custom route ;)

Crombers
13th January 2009, 09:18 AM
No, no the big fella was right the first time, Playmini it is :thumbs up: