PDA

View Full Version : Does God exist?

AndyP & Lenore
9th January 2009, 01:35 AM
Looks like the Advertising Standards Authority is going to have to decide if god exists or not.

BBC Clicky Linky (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7818980.stm)

The daft thing here is that the ASA will probably take about a month to make a decision after it's gone through it's investigation process. It wouldn't surprise me if the Humanist Society has paid for a two week ad campaign.:laugh:

A.:D

C.Noble
9th January 2009, 11:41 AM
while they are at it, they could do some scientific research into whether or not you are indeed made happy by calling out "couranga!" ;)

stoney
9th January 2009, 04:40 PM
ok here is my part on this

if you belive in "god" then that is fine but that means that god created the world in the fist place

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

or you beleve in evolution witch means you belive we evolved form apes/monkey's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

me i think we came form apes i think you can see how much we are like them and the way we do things i think it is the most likely thing that could have happend

if there is a "god" then what has he done for me ??
and why has certin things happen to me wich i would not wish on my worst enemy ???

so there can not be a "GOD"

we are living being we had to come from some thing on just out of thin air

well thats my veiw on this i hope it dose not offend anyone:confused: but it is the way i feel about it

i think the busses should be allowed why not it ment to be a free world think what you like and all the rest

thats my rant over

Stoney :yes nod:;bigwave:

AndyP & Lenore
9th January 2009, 04:45 PM
Rob you have every right to state your opinion, no offense here.

I'm a bit ashamed that after 36 years I still can't make my mind up. I'm hoping the ASA will help shed some light on it.

Lovving C.Noble's post. Works for me.:laugh:

A.

stoney
9th January 2009, 04:57 PM
:off topic:only 36 :laugh: come andy is it not 46 :p runs and hides :laugh::off topic:

illegalhunter
9th January 2009, 09:34 PM
George Carlin puts it so well just watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpA47o8E46U

Burple
10th January 2009, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna try hard to keep ogff the soapbox for this one ;):D

Rob.. If you get the chance you really need to read This Book (http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Delusion-Richard-Dawkins/dp/055277331X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231543151&sr=8-1) :thumbs up:
Just finished it, and like someof the reviews say, it's one of the most important books of the 21st century. and for anybody else interested, Richard Dawkins is one of the world's leading evolutionary biologists. The God Delusion if full of logical scientific reasoning, witty, well written, and easy to read. In fact, before anybody made their mind up, I would urge them to read this to get a fair grounding in 'the other side' of the story. It certainly answered a lot of questions for me, and it can help articulate things you might think but aren't sure how to ask :thumbs up:
THere are several George Carlin quotes in there too ;)
(wish I'd had a chance to see him live - always the best ones die to early :sad:)
About to start on another of his books too, The Selfish Gene

If you want to believe in your imaginary friends.. fine by me, but if you try to shove it down my throat, expect a reaction. People are brought up to respect each others' religious beliefs? well you can respect mine too and STFU about it :D:D

As Douglas Adams put it..
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

Burple
10th January 2009, 01:09 AM
if there is a "god" then what has he done for me ??
and why has certin things happen to me wich i would not wish on my worst enemy ???

so there can not be a "GOD"

Here's a good one for you as well..

So god is supposed to be Omniscient and Omnipotent ( all knowing and all powerful) right? - as well as Omnipresent - but that's a different story..
If he's Omniscient, then he knows everything that is, ever was and ever will be.
If he's Omnipotent, he has the power to do anything he wishes.

Except change his mind.

If he is truly Omniscient, then he CANNOT change his mind - because he knows EVERYTHING. So therefore he CANNOT be Omnipotent.
If he really is Omnipotent, then he has the power to change his mind, therefore he CANNOT be omniscient. No?

Just a nice wee discussion point.. :D:D;)

AndyP & Lenore
10th January 2009, 01:21 AM
For once I'm will illegal hunter here.... That George Carlin sketch is hilarious. And all very true.

A.

euan
16th January 2009, 03:42 PM
Now, have we seen this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm) story? Bus driver refuses to drive the "no god" bus as he is a Christian.

Now, couple of things. I thought Christianity was based on forgiveness, so surely he should just forgive them for their "misguided views" and get on with driving the bus?

Secondly - how unprofessional is that? If everyone refused to do something at work for that reason, we'd all be screwed. I mean, would an atheist drive a bus with a advert for god on the side? Course he/she would - it's their job, it's not their views that are advertised on the side of the bus, it's an advert.

Drive me mad...

Gismo
16th January 2009, 04:00 PM
Now, have we seen this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7832647.stm) story? Bus driver refuses to drive the "no god" bus as he is a ChristianIf i owned the company i would fire him, it's absurd that he can dictate what bus he can drive by what's advertised on it :argh:
I'd be interested to read just exactly what bus he will agree to drive with which advert :yes nod:

euan
16th January 2009, 04:20 PM
I'd be interested to read just exactly what bus he will agree to drive with which advert :yes nod:

Exactly.

"What do you mean, you won't drive the bus?"
"It's advertising Walkers. I only eat McCoys"
"Ah well, that's understandable then, no problem".

Bus drivers. The reason we all own the cars...

Burple
16th January 2009, 05:42 PM
Just makes me think of a quote I heard the other week..

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

:D;)

Sheilz
18th January 2009, 01:00 AM
Just makes me think of a quote I heard the other week..

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people"

:D;)

The ones I know, the God botherers, as opposed to traditional Sunday am from the church to the pub brigade, tend to be out and out bigots who roundly condemn us mere mortals for all our human frailities but, if you dina smoke or drink and manage to stumble along to their happy clappy and preyer (deliberate misspell) group meetings you can be the biggest asshole under the sun but that would be ok because you're then classed as a christian. I've been dodging efforts to get me embroiled in this organised superstition for about twenty five years. My mother's ultimate threat is well ye ken ~Sheila, you wont get to see your mother and father in heaven. Which is fine with me because all my buddies will be elsewhere. Poor deluded craitur that she is.

I'm hoping the onus is put on the God botherers to prove their god exists. Should be quite entertaining.