PDA

View Full Version : JCW R105 Alloys... Help!!

Ivano
8th January 2009, 02:40 PM
About 18 months ago as some of you knew my JCW 105's broke down and were covered in white markings and a bubbling effect from behind the polished/burnished finish..

After a bit of back and forward from MINI they decided to replace under warranty and i got 4 new shiny alloys.. Last year i took my new wheels off for the Winter and ran 15" Pepperpots. This year however i have kept my JCWs on the car for 2 reasons, i sold on my Pepperpots as they would not fit as a result of my JCW Sport Brake upgrade and secondly i can't be bothered doing the Winter wheel thing again.

Now these wheels are starting to do the same thing albeit on a small scale --- White marks are appearing on the Polished surface..

My question is, What can i put on to protect them as no longer have Warranty on them.. Andy P, How are your wheels and what do you apply if anything to your R105s to protect them??

AndyP & Lenore
9th January 2009, 01:05 AM
I use Poorboys Wheel Sealant. It's a pink mousse type stuff that goes on very easily and comes off even easier. Our 105's have had maybe 6 coats in total since we got them and they are very easy to clean. I haven't noticed any bubbling at all on ours, but we plan to do a full details job on the Blue MINI (with the R105's) and the FL2 tomorrow, so I'll report back after giving them a good look over.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Ivano
9th January 2009, 09:49 AM
Thanks Andy... I think i will pick up some of that.. :thumbs up:

It is very frustrating as i look after my wheels and there are no chips or kerbing on any of the wheels, but then i get these surface problems... I don't think the amount of Salt on our roads helps matters though.

I'm sure yours will be ok given the coats of Poorboys you have applied

euan
9th January 2009, 10:57 AM
Who do mini use to make the alloys as my R90's did the same thing and looked awful!

GCA3N
9th January 2009, 08:55 PM
This can't be right, it should'nt matter the conditions these should not do this. I know it's a bit OTT but I must admit during the winter I try and at least hose down the car and wheels every time i go out ( to keep the salt off) I know it is a bit of an effort but would probably stop them from getting worse (this as well as a protective coating)