PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Calgary, Canada

stella 25
6th January 2009, 09:02 PM
Hello to fellow MINI enthusiasts in Scotland. :computer:

My name is Morten, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada and heard about your club in Modern MINI magazine. My wife and I travelled to Edinburgh and Glasgow in 2006 and plan to return one day to explore more of your beautiful country. :smilewinkgrin:

I own a Chili Red 2007 MCS with a JCW sound kit, checkerboard roof and plenty of other add-ons and my wife has a Pepper White Clubman S, with a zipper around the car and roundels on the roof. We are two of eight founders of the MINI Club of Calgary, www.minicalgary.com, which started from a group of 8 eight people in April 08 to now having 134 people on our forum. Last year we drove to both Las Vegas for AMVIV 5 and San Francisco for the MMMT, in search of twisty roads and to meet and greet fellow MINI owners. I had the good forture of having my car shown on the front cover of MC2 Magazine #17, going down Lombard Street.

On a second note, as this year is MINI's 50th Anniversary, I would like to know if there is interest in putting together a collaborative event between our two clubs, as our city is named after a town in Scotland. Initial thoughts is to have a banner made up and signed by our group members and photographed together with members from your group in Calgary, Scotland and vice versus with a location of your choice. Obviously, we can develope this project much more and would love to hear your thoughts on this idea. :clap:

MrMischief
6th January 2009, 10:56 PM
Hello & :welcome: - our wee bit of the interweb :D

Sounds like you've had some cracking trips to Las Vegas & San Fran, makes any runs that I've been on in the past (not with NMS :blush:) round Pitlochry, the Queen's View & the Highlands areas searching for twisty roads just a little to shame :laugh:

Just had a look at your site, nice scenery & very nice cars you've got...:cool:

I'm sure there'll be members on here that are up for a little blast down to the Isle of Mull for that photoshoot :thumbs up:

Cheers
Steve

john
6th January 2009, 11:05 PM
;bigwave::welcome:

Colin
7th January 2009, 12:07 AM
Hi Morten :welcome:

Forbes
7th January 2009, 12:30 AM
Welcome

audrey
7th January 2009, 01:05 AM
Hi Morten ;bigwave:

RyanK
7th January 2009, 01:27 AM
Hello. :welcome:

Crombers
7th January 2009, 08:25 AM
Welcome to NMSland :cool:

JOHN MILNE
7th January 2009, 08:47 AM
Hello :welcome::thumbs up:

Mini Ecosse
7th January 2009, 09:20 AM
;bigwave: :welcome:

Ivano
7th January 2009, 09:46 AM
Hello and :welcome:

J444 JNY
7th January 2009, 12:10 PM
Hi and :welcome:

Big Gordy
7th January 2009, 12:12 PM
Well hello there and :welcome:

Gismo
7th January 2009, 02:00 PM
:welcome: i like the idea of your linking the two sites together for the 50th anniversary :thumbs up:
Let me know some further details and i'll see what it all involves etc

AeroJonny
15th January 2009, 11:40 AM
Last year we drove to Las Vegas for AMVIV 5

I was at AMVIV 5, I spent most of the time hanging out with Tuls and Stoo at the rogue minis stall :D

stoney
15th January 2009, 07:08 PM
:welcome: sounds like you have some good ideas :thumbs up:

MINI William
15th January 2009, 07:22 PM
:welcome: sounds a good idea with linking the sites together for the 50th

Duncan Stewart
15th January 2009, 08:55 PM
:D Hi and Welcome :D

YngStvn
16th January 2009, 06:47 PM
:welcome:

Gaz B
17th January 2009, 12:31 PM
Hello from Armadale, West Lothian.:welcome:

stella 25
5th February 2009, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. :bigwave:

The MINI Club of Calgary has set Aug 22, 2009 as the date for our 50th Anniversary Run. Now the planning starts :computer: We are trying to engage MINIs from the Edmonton MINI Club to come down from the provincial capitol to join us on that day so we can get over 50 MINIs in attendance, and I am heading up there this weekend to get the ball rolling. (Their website is up and running at www.edmontonminiclub.com , stop by and say Hi, and of course we welcome anyone to stop in for a visit on our site www.minicalgary.com as we have a few Scots in our group who would probably like to here from back home) I digress. :smilewinkgrin:

I would like to start a thread to on your forum to post developments, where is the best place to put it so it catches the most attention and perhaps you could mention this at your next meeting. I will be discussing preliminary ideas at our next meeting on Feb 19 and how to create a link to your site.

My best friend is coming to Scotland specifically Edinburgh in June and will be able to hand carry a banner to you, perhaps a small MINI greeting committee (Photo OP) could be arranged for the handover :thumbs up: let me know if that is of interest and I will post dates. I am looking for a liaison to work with on this project so please PM me if you think you have a wee bit of time to spare.

Is there anyone coming across the Atlantic for AMVIV 6 this year, as my wife and I will be traveling there again this year along with eight other MINIs from our area as support and would like to say "Hi!" in person.

Appreciate any ideas you may have, as I am still in brainstorming mode. One of my goals is to get this whole venture into Modern MINI Magazine, we have managed to get our club listed in the magazine in the upcoming issues for some exposure.

Stay tuned.

PS: Who is this Smilie? :ragin: He looks like someone who regrets not buying a MINI when he had the chance. Or maybe it is this guy :argh:

Big Gordy
5th February 2009, 09:44 AM
Who is this Smilie? :ragin: He looks like someone who regrets not buying a MINI when he had the chance. Or maybe it is this guy :argh:

:ragin:This is really 'The Gismo Man' aka Alan Mercer the site owner whenever anybody mentions a certain original mini tuning company:shut up:
:argh: this is another Allan, Fiona's husband after Fi tells him she's changing her mini for another mini again:yes nod:
Some others you should watch out for are......
:popcorn: Andy P who ownes/runs a lovely wee cinema
:beer:Craig who does like a few 'sherberts' at the weekend (when not driving I may add)

Note: I had to edit the post to correct Fi's husband's name ;)

Gismo
5th February 2009, 09:57 AM
I would like to start a thread to on your forum to post developments, where is the best place to put it so it catches the most attention and perhaps you could mention this at your next meeting. I will be discussing preliminary ideas at our next meeting on Feb 19 and how to create a link to your siteNo problem at all making a link and i'm prepared to make a link back to your site as well, though anyone looking here needs to be registered :yes nod:

My best friend is coming to Scotland specifically Edinburgh in June and will be able to hand carry a banner to you, perhaps a small MINI greeting committee (Photo OP) could be arranged for the handover :thumbs up: let me know if that is of interest and I will post dates. I am looking for a liaison to work with on this project so please PM me if you think you have a wee bit of time to spareWe have a very active June timetable and i am at least home for some of it (work rota) so depending on dates i'm sure we could arrange something :thumbs up:

Livi
5th February 2009, 12:23 PM
just noticed this thread,

Im going to Canada in the summer this year, my otherhalf's dad lives in Medicine hat but will be traveling up to Alberta/Calgary for a few days out.

i know its about 2-3 hours drive, but its still fun!

So big hello!! :bigwave::bigwave:

stella 25
6th February 2009, 04:16 PM
Im going to Canada in the summer this year, my otherhalf's dad lives in Medicine hat but will be traveling up to Alberta/Calgary for a few days out.

Depending when you are in Calgary we have the following dates for other runs:

June 13 - Drumheller
July 5 - MINI Golf & Stampede Breakfast
July 25 - MINI in the Mountains

You are welcome to join us, there are plenty who will give you a lift.

Livi
6th February 2009, 07:50 PM
sounds fun.

Will get back to you though, not sure on dates as of yet, but will find out from her dad when i phone :D

stella 25
4th June 2009, 02:19 PM
sounds fun.

Will get back to you though, not sure on dates as of yet, but will find out from her dad when i phone :D

Hello Again from Calgary, :computer: where it is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 20's and on Saturday the forecast is calling for a risk of snow. The beauty of living close to the mountains. Would like to hear if we will be seeing you this summer, has we have extra seats in the cars, for our runs.

Secondly, we have our club flag being printed and we will have it heading your way, if someone or preferably a group from your club would be kind enough to take it for a drive up to Calgary, on the on the Isle of Mull for a photo shoot, as mentioned before we are planning a 50th anniversary run on August 22, and we would be using the slogan "MINI, meeting new friends, .. standard". The flag would be in Edinburgh on June 18.

Talk to you soon.

Morten

shaunbhoy67
4th June 2009, 02:53 PM
hey there :welcome:

Livi
4th June 2009, 03:35 PM
Hello Again from Calgary, :computer: where it is supposed to be sunny and in the mid 20's and on Saturday the forecast is calling for a risk of snow. The beauty of living close to the mountains. Would like to hear if we will be seeing you this summer, has we have extra seats in the cars, for our runs.

Secondly, we have our club flag being printed and we will have it heading your way, if someone or preferably a group from your club would be kind enough to take it for a drive up to Calgary, on the on the Isle of Mull for a photo shoot, as mentioned before we are planning a 50th anniversary run on August 22, and we would be using the slogan "MINI, meeting new friends, .. standard". The flag would be in Edinburgh on June 18.

Talk to you soon.

Morten

Hi Morten,

Unfortunatly, ill only be in Calgary tomorrow for only a couple days and heading down the road to Medicine hat for the rest.

i would love to come along, but infortunatly, its a good 3 hours drive, correct??

Good luck and have fun though! :D

stella 25
4th June 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Morten,

its a good 3 hours drive, correct??

Good luck and have fun though! :D

Yes, you are right, too bad that we will miss not seeing each other this trip, have a safe journey, the "car door" is always open when you come in the future. :bigwave:

m8cxc
4th June 2009, 06:54 PM
hi a big :welcome: my husband worked in fort mc murray oil sands project for a year in 06 said its a beautiful place nice to meet you all :bigwave:

stella 25
8th June 2009, 11:04 PM
my husband worked in fort mc murray oil sands project for a year in 06

Which minesite did he work on, I have been to Syncrude, Suncor and Shell, everytime I have been there has always been in the middle of winter, dark and cold, the lowest temperature I had to contend with was -47 C. Yikes. Not too many MINIs up there either.