PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Advice Please....

Ivano
3rd January 2009, 05:55 PM
I was stuck in a bit of a Traffic Jam yesterday, so the usual stop start stop start.... I started to smell a bit of a burning smell which i assumed must have been coming from the clutch... (May have been riding the clutch a little :hand::hand: Bad Man!!!)

My car is a 55 plate and done just over 33,000 miles.

I have been driving the car a bit today and all seems fine albeit that there might be a slight judder when setting off, do you think there could be any lasting damage or could it just be it got a bit over-heated and be fine??? or could it be my clutch needs a little adjusting?... I have no knowledge in this area but don't want anything bad to happen to the car so not sure if i should get it looked at.

I am always a bit wary about MINI Service depts as tend to be money making machines and don't want them to turn around and say New Clutch required...

If it say was a new clutch or something does anyone know what sort of bill i could be looking at with Labour... IE has anyone had to have such an item replaced or fixed in the past??

Any assistance/advice here would be much appreciated.. :thumbs up:

Craig
3rd January 2009, 06:03 PM
Ivan,

Ian King just replaced the clutch on his car and I think it took him about 4 hours out and back in... I think a garage will quote near to a full day in labour to cover themselves, plus the part (which i think ian paid about £150 for), so you could be looking at about £400 depending on labour rates... not cheap.. :argh::frown:

I have the same issue as you, but i also have selection problems in 1st/2nd and also my clutch release bearing is quite noisy... My clutch also seems to have no progression, it feels like a switch, either on or off.... if you know what I mean..

best of luck, I am going to get mine booked in soon to get looked at as i aint happy with it. :sad:

ianking
3rd January 2009, 06:25 PM
There is no adjustment on these clutches.
They just give up and die.

I wouldnt have thought you would need a new one at 33k miles unless it has been getting ridden alot. My clutch managed 76k miles.

Like Craig said I done mine myself in not much over 4 hours. I had a mates help with the heavy lifting. I used a 2 poster ramp to carry out the work. I wouldnt even try the job with out a ramp and a transmission stand.

The clutch I bought was a valeo at £101 but also bought new gear box oil and hub nuts and a couple wee other bits and the total bill was just under £150.

Sheilz
3rd January 2009, 08:13 PM
Mine's done 144,000 so I would've thought your clutch would or should do much more than 33,000. Hope whatever it is it doesn't cost you too much. Not good time of year for expensive repairs.

dougie_dfc
4th January 2009, 03:38 AM
iv got a 55 cooper and i think my clutch went about 33000 miles, sure i got it replaced under warranty from what i remember!
no harm in asking anyone at john clark or the likes to see if its covered...

Ivano
4th January 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice guys... Going to see how it runs next week when i'm back at work and doing more miles than i have over the last 2 weeks.

If i'm not happy then i will get it booked in to be looked at....

Ivano
6th January 2009, 02:56 PM
Been running the car for the last couple of days getting it all nice and dirty at the same time :sad:. (Touch wood and all that) but the burning smell has completly gone and the clutch seems to be running smooth through all the gears...

I am hoping that maybe the clutch just got a little hot that day and there has been no lasting damage done... Will continue to monitor over the next few days before deciding to have it looked at... :confused:

Crombers
6th January 2009, 03:23 PM
I can/could get clutch judder when cold unless I am extremely careful at the biting point when moving off. Again when cold & selecting second I double de clutch as I can get very slight protest from the clutch/box. Once at temp the car does as it should :smilewinkgrin:

It's an ageing 'characteristic' for me & I can live with it :thumbs up:

June 04 & now at 59000 miles & if something breaks I'll get it fixed ;)