PDA

View Full Version : Hibernating my MINI

Smitty
2nd January 2009, 03:13 PM
So my MINI is going off to sleep for 8 months as I'm going to be getting a company car for 4 months, then heading off to work abroad for another 4. Although it's a tough decision, financially it just makes sense to put him to sleep, lower the insurance, stop spending money on running cost etc....

God I'll miss him though :frown: :frown: (Get an outing for MINI United hopefully :D)

I know AndyP asked about this for his Red MINI a few months back but can I ask again.....is there anything I should do before putting him under the covers? Hibernation

What I have done so far or intend on doing:

Full clean inside and out.
Wax and rub down.
Tyres inflated to correct pressures.
Locking valve caps removed in case they rust and replaced with plastic ones.
Disconnect terminals on battery.
Handbrake off, not in gear and choke wheels.

Can I do anything else?? :idea:

AeroJonny
2nd January 2009, 03:27 PM
sit it on axle stands and take the wheels off??

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2009, 03:35 PM
Smitty, in the end we decided not to do it. The cons just outweighed the pros. That said, we were gonna put a winter cover over the car and it was gonna be left outside. Is yours garaged, or left on drive?

A.

Smitty
2nd January 2009, 03:56 PM
Smitty, in the end we decided not to do it. The cons just outweighed the pros. That said, we were gonna put a winter cover over the car and it was gonna be left outside. Is yours garaged, or left on drive?

The pros definitely outweigh the cons for me - it's mainly the money side of things, and doesn't make sense to have two cars down south. Trying to be mature and grown up and starting saving for a house....:eek:

Unfortunately not in a garage as both spaces in there are already reserved :sad: So it's going to be sitting in a sheltered corner round the side of the house under a winter cover.

sit it on axle stands and take the wheels off??

Perhaps a little extreme :p

My Dad is going to take it out for a run (on a dry day!) once a month so it's not as if it's going to be completely stale for 8 months.

AndyP & Lenore
2nd January 2009, 04:27 PM
On the basis of the above then, what you're doing should be fine I would have thought. We haven't even disconnected the battery. We just leave it on the drive, with the handbrake off and take it for a 20 to 30 mile run once a fortnight or so. We're just trying to keep it off salty roads.

A.

Gismo
2nd January 2009, 05:29 PM
My car often sits for long periods without disconnecting the battery and starts with no problems whatsoever, so, i would leave it connected.
Everything else sounds spot on, you could add in to ensure all the levels are topped up and maybe add a stronger washer anti freeze solution

RyanK
2nd January 2009, 05:39 PM
you could go crazy and stuff tinfoil up the exhaust tips, air vents and between the wiper blades/window. Although that would be taking it to the extreme again

Smitty
3rd January 2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks for the advice every one - decided against disconnecting the battery terminals and yes Ryan - your advice is taking it too extremes ;) :p

It's now all tucked up with a fresh layer of wax and a winter cover to keep him safe:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020510.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020512.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/smitty_350z/P1020508.jpg

Sweet dreams :D

john
3rd January 2009, 12:20 AM
Tyres should be over inflated!!!!!!!!about 45 psi will do, and when using a cover for a long time tie it down as the movement will rub the paint on corners and edges (I know from experience):thumbs up:

Smitty
3rd January 2009, 12:26 AM
Tyres should be over inflated!!!!!!!!about 45 psi will do, and when using a cover for a long time tie it down as the movement will rub the paint on corners and edges (I know from experience):thumbs up:

Hmmmm - might have to un-cover and take a trip to the garage tomorrow then - don't fancy doing that with the foot pump for my bike!!

Cover is firmly tied down - no chance of it going anywhere!