PDA

View Full Version : first service

dundeered
27th December 2008, 02:25 PM
been along time since i posted and hope i have placed in correct part of forums. Rather annoyed.
But my r56 back in jan 2007 and so far have travelled 14235 miles, service indicator came on saying 600 miles then chnaged to 290. so booked it into JC in dundee.
Wife took car in and they said does not need service as covered too few miles. Took out TLC when bought car.
Rather confused if indicator says 290miles to service then why wont they service it .:argh:

Craig
27th December 2008, 04:10 PM
seems very strange to me.... I thought the rule was that you have to get your car done within 1000 miles of the service internal (500 before or 500 after) ;)

I have no idea why they would say that it had done too few miles, as I have always been told that the computer will tell you when to have the car serviced, not the book... :rolleyes:

MINI William
27th December 2008, 04:37 PM
:eek:Very strange.I got told by my dealer when i got my car that the car needs serviced either when the car says so or before 2years.Hope this helps:thumbs up:

Ferengo
28th December 2008, 11:26 PM
Did you buy the car from JCs? I bought mine from Grassicks and called in to JCs to book it in as it was all over the road and the told me to go to Grassicks. Wasn't happy with them, but I have had my car in there before without problem, just that one time.

If not you could call another dealer just to check you are right, If so then call JCs back up. If they still refuse then call MINI up themselves as they are good at getting the dealer to do what is required.

I was told that my R56 would let me know when it needed to go in. Possibly this is why they won't take it. Maybe the R56 has to hit the service miles before you can book it in?

JOHN MILNE
29th December 2008, 09:35 AM
My R56 was 2 year old in nov the service indicator when you start up the car changed from red to yellow,date said 11/2008 after service it still said 700miles but datre had changed to 11/2010 was serviced by eastern in edin

KenL
29th December 2008, 11:05 AM
14k does seem early for the R56. Mine will need done at the end of Jan as will be 2yo. According to the mileage count down that would be after 23k miles or thereabouts.

If you are doing mainly short stop-start journeys then it could really need servicing I suppose. Whatever, the dealer should not have just fobbed you off and should have investigated and explained why your car did not need a service!

It is possible there is a glitch with the computer, this was the case with my mkV Golf.

iain cooper
30th December 2008, 12:54 PM
the need for a first service is either time related ie 2 years, or the way the car has been driven, which is why the car tells you when it needs done.

it may be 10000mls, 15000mls, 20000mls, etc

JC does not know how the car has been driven, so they are fobbing you off for some reason ?

maybe they are too busy ? any way if they do not want to service the car I would go somewhere else and give them the business.

Gismo
30th December 2008, 06:31 PM
The mileage indicator tells you when the car needs serviced (or 2 years) so, did this reset for some reason??
What does it indicate now??

dundeered
1st January 2009, 11:39 PM
now when car starts just says service 0 miles.

going to contact mini uk

Ferengo
27th February 2009, 03:26 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread but did anyone ever get an answer?

Was driving in Edinburgh last night, When I stated the MINI it said Service in a yellow box, then 1000 miles. This morning I start her up and it just says 900miles and no service sign. I have just called Grassicks who said they can service 1000 miles before and 3000 miles after. I just don't want a repeat of what happened to Dundeered.

Any answers? :confused:

KenL
27th February 2009, 08:57 PM
When was your car registered? How many miles has it covered?

Mine was serviced at 21k miles. It was the fact that it was 2yo that over-ruled though. If it was younger it would have made it to ~23k miles.

Ferengo
28th February 2009, 08:45 PM
When was your car registered? How many miles has it covered?

Mine was serviced at 21k miles. It was the fact that it was 2yo that over-ruled though. If it was younger it would have made it to ~23k miles.

18500 miles on the clock, Built in July 2007, Registered middle of sept 07 so it's a 57 plate. You think this sounds right?

Stewart
2nd March 2009, 10:32 AM
I’m going to go by the date on my 57……….it was registered 31 Dec 2007 but it had only done 1200 miles when I bought it and now its only up to just over 5k. It comes up a date near the end of the year and it will be going in or around no matter the mileage as I think Date or 20K it goes in and my mini could take years to cover that!

Anyone know how long it takes is it a day or a few hours.......Only asking as I might ask for a Cooper S to try when it goes in as I fancy one next and will be able to tell the difference now I’m used to the Cooper.

Ferengo
2nd March 2009, 05:03 PM
Only 5K!!! :thud: lol.

Yup it's 2 years or 20,000 miles but it seems that the area either side of those for bringing it in varies from Dealer to Dealer.

KenL
2nd March 2009, 08:56 PM
18500 miles on the clock, Built in July 2007, Registered middle of sept 07 so it's a 57 plate. You think this sounds right?

18 500 miles, it could be due a service at that mileage. If you do a lot of thrashing and town driving it would need done earlier.

Mine is driven very gently and mostly a cruise along the A1/bypass.

KenL
2nd March 2009, 08:58 PM
I’m going to go by the date on my 57……….it was registered 31 Dec 2007 but it had only done 1200 miles when I bought it and now its only up to just over 5k. It comes up a date near the end of the year and it will be going in or around no matter the mileage as I think Date or 20K it goes in and my mini could take years to cover that!

Anyone know how long it takes is it a day or a few hours.......Only asking as I might ask for a Cooper S to try when it goes in as I fancy one next and will be able to tell the difference now I’m used to the Cooper.

Mine took about 2 hours including the brake fluid change at 2 years old.

Ferengo
3rd March 2009, 10:53 AM
18 500 miles, it could be due a service at that mileage. If you do a lot of thrashing and town driving it would need done earlier.

Mine is driven very gently and mostly a cruise along the A1/bypass.

Cheers. Some say I thrash my car but I don't think I do. Mostly city driving but I do go through to Perth once every 2 weeks and down to lincoln (800mile roumd trip) every 4 or 5 months.

ajamesj
3rd March 2009, 10:05 PM
My Dooper has had its 2nd oil service and is only 18mths old first was done at 13000 miles and the second just last few weeks at 26000 you can check the on board comp yourself from your stalk control to see what is actually due for service I am currently 1000 mile away from a brake fluid change or July 2009 whatever is first. Grassicks reads the key fob with there computer at the service desk before any work is done so they can see how bad/good a driver I have been lol

Andy

Stewart
4th March 2009, 12:26 AM
Mine took about 2 hours including the brake fluid change at 2 years old.

Cheers for that :thumbs up:

Ferengo
4th March 2009, 12:57 PM
Grassicks reads the key fob with there computer at the service desk before any work is done so they can see how bad/good a driver I have been lol

Andy

GULP!!! :Whistle:

Does that mean I can use my wifes keyfob, she never drives lol :p Think I might be outted here for my driving. I only get around 34mpg in the city and about 44 on the motorway.