PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

N12 JLK
21st December 2008, 10:15 AM
Noticed that our car had a lovely big screw just at the beginning of the tread on the drivers front tyre yesterday:ragin:, drove to my friends garage yesterday to see if it could be fixed. I was told probably not but he would order a new tyre and call back Monday afternoon and he would see what he could do. I would have put a Kumho run flat on but he said it would fight with the Dunlop sport on the other side as it was either a non directional tyre or directional ( I cant remember) so it would affect the handling. The bummer is the tyre is new as we have only had the car for about 6-8 weeks and its probably going to cost me £145 before Christmas. Its always the same you put some cash away for a couple of nights out and bam its taken away:sad:, on top of that Ive got to fork out £400 also this month for roof vents for my loft as all the added insulation, new heating system and the double glazing Ive fitted has caused a bit of condensation in the loft. Money come, money go. ( Just as well Im loaded) not.
Happy Christmas from the Nicol clan.

euan
21st December 2008, 10:25 AM
Nightmare mate. My neighbours 530d had the same thing yesterday, it's the last thing you need at this time of year, especially on the new car. On the plus side, at least the wear won't be too much on the other side so they should be balanced, last time I had this I had to replace both tyres as the other side was almost down to needing doing.

Craig
21st December 2008, 10:54 AM
not great news for the Nicols. :frown:

bad things just seem to happen at this time of year.. :rolleyes: anyway off to work for me soon to make some double bubble. ;) Mon the Bairns...! :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
21st December 2008, 11:01 AM
It's times like this you wish you'd taken tyre insurance. Never bothered with it myself, but I'm pretty sure it's only £20 or £30 a corner.

A.

Smitty
21st December 2008, 11:05 AM
Not so good - need to give those swines who leave screws and nails lying about on the road a stern talking to!

My dad had his Focus ST for 3 days and had to replace the tyre as it had a screw lodged in it - £195 3 days after getting it, not pleasant :frown:

illegalhunter
21st December 2008, 11:39 AM
I had 3 in my front tyre £205 for a 19" tyre

euan
21st December 2008, 01:13 PM
It's times like this you wish you'd taken tyre insurance. Never bothered with it myself, but I'm pretty sure it's only £20 or £30 a corner.

A.

I got it thrown in when I bought me BMW, used it once and it was no hassle at all. Not sure I'd have bothered buying the cover though, it's only the second time in 15 years it's happened so I'd rather pay for a new tyre (man, have I really been driving that long? I'm getting old...)

N12 JLK
21st December 2008, 05:09 PM

A.

Seriously thought about it when we bought the car and though nahhh nothing has ever happened to a tyre:confused:

Would have made the cost back already:sad:

Crombers
21st December 2008, 09:57 PM
Mon the Bairns...! :thumbs up:

:hand::D:hand::D

Crombers
21st December 2008, 10:04 PM
Not much luck eh, tis alwalys a bummer mate :ragin:

£145 :eek:

I'm sure you could shop around & get one cheaper than that , I managed to offload Kwick Fit (of all people) of two Pirelli's for £200 last winter.

N12 JLK
21st December 2008, 10:32 PM
he says I need to get one the same. Also, he is going to try and fix it. My family have been going to the same bloke for years and I trust him to at least try and fix it. Kwik Fit would just tell me I need a new one.

Fingers crossed:thumbs up:

MINI William
22nd December 2008, 01:06 AM
Not good to hear and also at this time of year its a bummer.when i put tures on my car the next day i got a punture:argh: very annoying

Gismo
22nd December 2008, 04:20 AM
Bummer mate, i'm not even gonna tell ya how much a rear tyre for the M3 cost me after 400 miles of ownership :ragin:

Mini MoJo
22nd December 2008, 01:46 PM
It must be puncture week, i ran over quite a large stone just down from my work last week (council are doing some work on the road and didn't clear the road properly) which resulted it a slit in the tread. I was told you can't repair run flat Dunlops so had to fork out £165 for a new tyre from ATS. The annoying this is that the damaged tyre had only covered 11,000 miles and had loooads of life left in it. I must say though ATS in Alloa was so helpful and very careful with my alloy as i told them if there was 1 mark on that rim there would be trouble :hand: so tyre now fitted with no scratches on the rim :D

Oh and a strong worded letter demanding my money back has been sent to the council with lots of photos to give me a good case :thumbs up:

ianking
22nd December 2008, 02:17 PM
£165 is loadsa money for a 17inch run flat.
Always worth shopping about first.

N12 JLK
22nd December 2008, 05:51 PM
New tyre on today:frown: £145 down now:ragin:.

Mini Ecosse
22nd December 2008, 06:14 PM
New tyre on today:frown: £145 down now:ragin:.

Ouch! that must have hurt.
A few less :beer:this Christmas?

ELFMAN
23rd December 2008, 07:42 PM
Crap news Jason - pity Santa doesn't do deals on tyres! A while back I knackered a tyre on a run, then got a screw through another one the following week. They were only a fortnight old.... £224.00 in a week. At least 16's are a bit cheaper to replace. Last week I found a screw head sticking out of my back passenger side tyre, but it was only a wee one and was sitting at a shallow angle in the tread - not punctured - phew! Have a merry, if skint, Christmas.

N12 JLK
24th December 2008, 10:17 PM
No skint but just a bugger to pay out at tanytime.

Stewart
25th December 2008, 12:54 AM
Got a Joiner across the road and you know what its like with there fecking Vans….some of the stuff I’ve found near the drive or on the road out side the house is beggars belief……:rolleyes:

Bit of thought for others, not that next Job……….

Shame about the Tyre this time of year. :sad: