PDA

View Full Version : Need to get Mini serviced, how should I play it???

ascender
14th April 2004, 03:25 AM
I have a modded Mini with TLC and also a warranty covering the mods from Hartge. Initially I planned on just taking the Mini to a mod-friendly dealer like Grassicks in Perth. And while that's still an option, it would be so much easier if I could just get it done locally at Eastern or Dunedin.

So.... what to do? Apart from the badge on the back, I've heard of modded cars getting serviced and either they never noticed, never made an issue of it, techs never passed word back etc. So is it just worth putting it in and not saying anything? Os maybe phoning first and asking?

The worst case is that they'll phone me and say I'll be charged as they can't really carry out work that will incur cost without telling me first. I've checked the wording of the warranty as someone had placed it on Mini2 and its pretty standard saying that unless you make a mod which directly damages something, then it'll be covered by warranty.

TLC is a different matter though, although again, unless damage has been caused by the mods, should there be an issue?

Does anyone have experience with either of the Edinburgh dealers? I've always bought my BMWs from Eastern but I'm guessing that's not going to count for anything in this case!

Cheers,

Mike.

Wul
14th April 2004, 04:22 AM
I'd say call them and ask - the TLC services are so basic that they should be fine, i wouldn't put yourself in the position where they try to charge you after the service.

Gismo
14th April 2004, 04:53 AM
Worst possible scenario is you say nothing and they update your ecu, power gone :disapprove:
Come clean with them and tell them under no certain terms should they mess with the ecu :evil: