PDA

View Full Version : Whalen gear knob

Starky
13th April 2004, 07:11 PM
Anybody got 1 of these, r they any good? is there a uk supplier?

Wul
13th April 2004, 07:32 PM
I'm sure KenL will be along soon - he's got one on his ONE!

Don't think theres a UK supplier as their are engraved to your spec - there was a group but on MINI2 a while back.

Gismo
13th April 2004, 07:32 PM
I got one, very cold in the winter but a very nice feel, ooer missus, there is no UK supplier and they ain't cheap :evil:
You can personalise it to have your own design or simply keep the gear position etc.
get yourself along to Mini2 and speak to Doug Whalen :cool:

KenL
13th April 2004, 11:32 PM
I can highly recommend them. Really gives the shift a great positive feel.

Cost about £75 when I got mine - the weak $ will help anyone buying at the moment.

Starky
14th April 2004, 02:10 AM
Thank's guys, one question I forgot to ask, r they quite easy to fit?

KenL
14th April 2004, 02:17 AM
Yes, easy.

The original knob can take a bit of a hard yank (that's a Y BTW not a W :evil::D) to get off.

Thw Whalen has a fancy ball bearing locking mechanism which makes it a doddle to take off and put back on.

Starky
14th April 2004, 02:20 AM
wow! thanks Ken, quick response there, i suppose i better watch where i "toss" the old one, lol.

MartinSullivan
14th April 2004, 05:34 PM
Starky, this is one of the most satisfying and simple mods I have done to my S. Was dubious at first about how much difference it would make - but its great. Definitely would recommend anyone to get one. Mikeythemini www.newministuff.co.uk is offering knob warmers, might be worth thinking about!

Starky
14th April 2004, 08:18 PM
Did u change the gator as well? i was looking at the whalen web site and they do look good, how much do they charge for shipping and how long does it take? Oooohhh Betty! a knob warmer, thanks Martin but if they're as easy to come off as Ken say's it'll be coming indoors overnight with the HU face. Cheers guys.

Gismo
14th April 2004, 08:27 PM
All in mine cost about 85 quid, no need to change the gaitor, it's a perfect fit.

I got mine within 5 days of order, it will depend on whether you have a custom design for the engraving :)

Starky
14th April 2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks BS.

Gismo
16th April 2004, 03:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by Starky

Thanks BS.
;):cool:

MartinSullivan
16th April 2004, 05:10 PM
I got "stung" for tax when my knob came into the country ;) I spoke to Doug Whalen about this and he says it happens very rarely. I had to pay about £18 I think before the post office would release my knob :)

It was still well worth it though

Starky
16th April 2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks Martin I think I've got it sussed, Doug says he's short of one of the components which is made by another machine shop and it will be a couple of weeks before delivery of them is due, boo hoo, gives me time though to design something, i suppose if u personalise it will reduce the nickability of it.

broken_brian
17th April 2004, 01:10 AM
quote:Originally posted by MartinSullivan

I had to pay about £180I think before the post office would release my knob :)

It was still well worth it though

thats a bit rude :I:I

sorry this thread was just too tempting to mess with

Starky
21st April 2004, 03:15 AM
That's it on order should have it soonish.

KenL
21st April 2004, 04:45 AM
What design did you order Starky? Brushed, polished, standard design or personalised?

Starky
21st April 2004, 10:33 PM
I got the wings design with the wifies pet name for the car inside the circle done in comic sans text, Doug done the design, and e-mailed it to me for approval. Must say he's a really helpful guy and made a smashin job, can't wait to get it. Did Gaj take your chrome handbrake? if not i'll take it off you when your ready, does it go nicely with the Whalen? i've only got a small piccy of it but i imagine it matches a treat specially with the polished knob.

KenL
21st April 2004, 11:20 PM

I got the wings design with the wifies pet name for the car inside the circle done in comic sans text, Doug done the design, and e-mailed it to me for approval. Must say he's a really helpful guy and made a smashin job, can't wait to get it. Did Gaj take your chrome handbrake? if not i'll take it off you when your ready, does it go nicely with the Whalen? i've only got a small piccy of it but i imagine it matches a treat specially with the polished knob.

Aww, how sweet. Mine is similar except it has my initials which are the same as my wife's in the middle of the wings.

Is your knob brushed or poished? The handbrake grip is a kind of brushed look not chrome really so goes better with the brushed style knob. I don't think I've any decent pics of it but I'll try and get some sometime.

Not sure if Gaj wants it yet so if you are first in the queue after him.

Cheers, Ken.

Starky
22nd April 2004, 01:54 AM
Ken I've got the polished Knob, you need your eyes checked mate, you must be gittin a wee bit blin (check out the last two words of the post), just like me, i'll try and get a wee look at one at the dealers once a git ma Whalen, it looked like a polished grip from the accessories booklet. Hummpphhh.

Starky
25th April 2004, 01:58 AM
Picked up a luggage net from DP's parts dept. today but they didn't have any handbrake grips in stock so I still don't know what they look like, have you heard from Gaj yet Ken?, yesterday I bought some quality German made chrome rings for speedo,tacho,gearshift surround and the centre air vents....WOW, what a difference they make to the interior, they add a bit of class, lovely at night too with the dash lighting reflecting off the chrome.

GAJ
25th April 2004, 03:08 AM
I don't think I'll bother with the handbrake, cheers anyway!

Starky
25th April 2004, 05:49 AM
O.K. thanks Gaj.

KenL
25th April 2004, 07:51 PM
I'll go and take a pick and post it up later.

KenL
26th April 2004, 03:44 AM
OK, here are a couple if pics of the handbrake grip:

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/picture31936.html
http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/picture31937.html

Starky
26th April 2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks Ken, in your first piccy you can see the diff. between the brushed and polished finnish, I think i'll pass on it just now Ken, when are you getting the new wheels anyway?

KenL
26th April 2004, 08:45 PM

Thanks Ken, in your first piccy you can see the diff. between the brushed and polished finnish, I think i'll pass on it just now Ken, when are you getting the new wheels anyway?

Should be about mid June.

I'll put the bits up for sale on here then MINI2 nearer the time.

Cheers

Starky
30th May 2004, 02:10 AM
Well, finally got my Whalen, looks and feels superb, posted a piccy on Mini2 gallery, I'd defo recommend one.