PDA

View Full Version : Needing Coolant

Ferengo
15th December 2008, 02:57 PM
Checked my levels and I need coolant topped up. The manual says not to mix different types, so what one would have come with an R56 cooper? Do I have to drain the coolant? Help!!! :confused:

BigStuff
15th December 2008, 06:32 PM
BMW / MINI Coolants regarded as pretty good.
Pick up a top up bottle from stealer.

No need to drain.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2008, 06:39 PM
BUT! You're R56 is not that old from what I recall. Should it be needing coolant already? Check there's no signs of leakage as ours had a loose pipe on the thermostat which was causing a small leak.

A.

Ferengo
15th December 2008, 09:13 PM
Done just under 16,000 miles from new and just over a year old. The tank is just below min by only a couple of mm. Is that normal? If not then I'll call Grassicks and book it in.

Will give JC's a call tomorrow to pick some coolant up. Any idea how much I will be for it?

Cheers guys. :thumbs up:.

AndyP & Lenore
15th December 2008, 09:57 PM
Ah, fairysnuff. Ours was only just visible when you took the cap off, it was that empty.

No idea how much it would be as ours was topped up under warranty, as the loose hose must have spewed it all out.:frown:

A.:thumbs up:

Ferengo
16th December 2008, 01:14 AM
Yes I read that thread. Had the same problem with my Megane but it was the water pump that had gone. Only had the car for a week before I heard a loud bang then... No coolant. It was like trying to get blood from a stone getting the dealer to replace it under warrenty.

GCA3N
16th December 2008, 11:45 AM
I have a 2002 cooper and was told that alot of the models even up to the new ones can have radiator problems. Mine did (got fixed under warranty):thumbs up: I would advise that you get it topped up as soon as. This thing about mixing coolents etc is rubbish. Just use a half decent one and keep the level as close to max as poss. If you don't regularly check your level than i would advise this too. If it has gone down, it will most probably be , 1 of 4 things. Radiator leak (through damage or corrosion) leaking pipe, evaporisation from general use, or worse case head gasket problems.:frown: Worth while checking it out though, hope this helps:yes nod:

Ferengo
16th December 2008, 12:40 PM
I don't think there is anything wrong. Looks like general use. If it suddenly drops back to where it is when I get some more then I'll strat to panic :eek:.