PDA

View Full Version : What Tyres???

Ferengo
14th December 2008, 06:18 PM
Ok, I don't need them right now but have only got a couple of mm until I will need to replace them. I have an R56 with 15 Inch Spoooler alloys and Mechelin Energy tyres on them.

From a previous post I have had a problem with handling and have looked into get another set of these tyres when I came across reviews of them. I found that a lot of other people have been having the same problem with the car slipping on the road and not lasting for very long. So what I need are opinions on what tyres to go for. I need ones that won't slip on the road especially in the wet. Also if anyone knows a pla to get them near Dundee then that's a bonus but I really can't hack having the same tyres on again.

The Dogfather
14th December 2008, 06:22 PM
If you want wet grip then Vredsteins are amongst if not the best.

KenL
14th December 2008, 08:56 PM
Surprised you say Michelins do not last long, I have always thought they were very long lasting.

Your choice of perfomance tyres may be limited with the 15" wheels though. Have a look to see if Toyo Proxes or Goodyear F1 are available in that size.

Ferengo
14th December 2008, 09:13 PM
Thanks for they replies so far.

Well the Michelins lasted about 14,000 miles but I've been told that they should last around 25,000. Altough they guy at Grassicks was supprised they lasted as long as they did, he said they should have gone at 10,000. I've not had a good experience with them on the road and they don't get a good write up so looking for something else.

I am thinking on upgrading to 17's but have heard that some older mini alloys won't fit the R56. Is this true and if so which ones will?

Knox18
14th December 2008, 11:18 PM
14000 miles? :eek:

im lucky if my left front on my civic type r lasts longer than 5000 miles! bridgestone re040's

my subaru ran bridgestone re070's and i got about 2500 miles to the left hand side lol maybe drifting didnt help matters haha!

but 15 inch tyres i'd recomend the Toyo proxie T1R's the new style ones with the inner and outer patterns :thumbs up:

Craig
15th December 2008, 10:46 AM
all the MINI branded alloys will fit your car Grant. :thumbs up: They are all the same stud pattern (4 x 100) but the offset of them may change slighty, but not so much that you will notice. :smilewinkgrin:

as for tyres, I have Toyo Proxes T1R on my 18's and they are great in the wet and dry... ;) Gismo has just put them on his S aswell. :yes nod:

doogz__
15th December 2008, 12:19 PM
To be fair, i've never seen anyone destroy tyres quite like Knox, especially on his Subaru, but 14k miles is good! My last set of bridgestones on the honda done about 8k miles and i sold the car, and they're needing done badly now (sold it to a mate so i still see it)

I'd have to say Michelins are the daddy, even in the wet. I know some people like the Toyo's, but compared back to back on my little saxo with some pretty hardcore suspension, i found them to have very little grip in the wet, but that was the T1'S's, not the newer R's.

I did like eagle F1's, had them on the saxo for a bit, and used them on the subaru, and they kept it in check well in the dry and wet with about 300bhp.

And knox, you remember how bad the budgets that were on it when i bought it were in the wet?!

euan
15th December 2008, 12:39 PM
I used to get 14K on the Mini with Michelins, and pretty much the same with Goodyear, so your not doing badly. I know some get more than that but 25K seems a little optimistic. I found Goodyears pathetic in the wet, the Michelins were way better.

In saying that, I got 28,000 out of bridgestones re040 on the BMW, though the rears are down to 3mm now and thats with 20K on them, so they'll need doing at some point though won't be till February I think!

gauldrymini
15th December 2008, 01:19 PM
Grant

Forget about Kwik Fit in Dundee...they marked one of our GTI alloys when replacing its front tyres:ragin: and took no responsibility:frown:

Flip sidefound out Wicked Wheels do a good job at repairs:yes nod:

Andrew

The Dogfather
15th December 2008, 01:30 PM
The wheel bolts on the R56 are actually thicker so they might not fit through the holes. Not sure if this means some old model alloys won't fit the R56.

Certainly some aftermarket ones don't fit.

Ferengo
15th December 2008, 02:34 PM
Grant

Forget about Kwik Fit in Dundee...they marked one of our GTI alloys when replacing its front tyres:ragin: and took no responsibility:frown:

Flip sidefound out Wicked Wheels do a good job at repairs:yes nod:

Andrew

Had a bad experience with them and my old megane coupe so I'm well clear of them now, but thatks for the heads up.

What exactly is the offset of an alloy?

KenL
15th December 2008, 02:39 PM
I thought some of the R50 wheels would NOT fit the R56 due to the larger brakes on the R56.

doogz__
15th December 2008, 02:41 PM
The offset of a wheel is the distance from the hub mounting face to the geometric centre of the wheel. A positive offset means the centreline of the wheel is closer to the centre of the car than the hub face.

Negative offset means the centreline of the wheel is further outboard than the hub face, i.e. deep dish wheels are usually negative offset, some old capri's were -8

Craig
15th December 2008, 05:25 PM
I thought some of the R50 wheels would NOT fit the R56 due to the larger brakes on the R56.

Ferengo was asking about 17's tho Ken so I seem to remember than 17's will fit over the R56 brakes, unless you can correct me otherwise :rolleyes:

Scottie
15th December 2008, 07:26 PM
Ferengo was asking about 17's tho Ken so I seem to remember than 17's will fit over the R56 brakes, unless you can correct me otherwise :rolleyes:

R56 brakes (front) as the same size calipers as the old JCW brakes on the R53 Minis.

just thought I would mention in case no one knew that wee fact.:blush:

Scottie
15th December 2008, 07:29 PM
Ferengo.

I covered 6000 miles on my Federals and I hardly any wear on the tyres within that time.

Craig
15th December 2008, 07:51 PM
Ferengo.

I covered 6000 miles on my Federals and I hardly any wear on the tyres within that time.

were they any good in the wet tho ?

Scottie
15th December 2008, 07:57 PM
were they any good in the wet tho ?

yeh I think so. John could answer that better though.

I remember following you up the A84 on a run this year in the pouring rain my car held the road fine and if you remember I asked how you got on with you 18's and you said your car stepped out a couple times.

Hope the helps.

Craig
15th December 2008, 08:23 PM
yeh I think so. John could answer that better though.

I remember following you up the A84 on a run this year in the pouring rain my car held the road fine and if you remember I asked how you got on with you 18's and you said your car stepped out a couple times.

Hope the helps.

yup :smilewinkgrin:

Crombers
15th December 2008, 08:34 PM

Mum & Dad have (the all time classic) R50 'S' spokes on their R56 Clubman :thumbs up: ....... way cool ;)

KenL
15th December 2008, 08:52 PM

No, I can't correct you :yawn:

I didn't realise it was a 17" only question ;)

Ferengo
15th December 2008, 09:18 PM
No, I can't correct you :yawn:

I didn't realise it was a 17" only question ;)

It's not. I currently have 15's on my Cooper but there is the possibility of upgrading to 17's as a package deal when I get new tyres. So for the moment I have 15's and will need new tyres probably Jan/feb (When my insurance is due to!!!). I was just curious about 17's for the moment anyway.