PDA

View Full Version : Odeon IMAX

euan
11th December 2008, 01:32 PM
Here, Andy, have you seen that Odeon are converting some screens in existing cinemas to be IMAX? the first two are in London, one of which is the local cinema to me (Wimbledon) where they've done one screen. I've not been yet but will let you know the outcome.

Are they just digital projectors?

LINK (http://www.odeon.co.uk/fanatic/imax/s142)

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 07:53 PM
Hmmm. Interesting.

I'd be surprised if they were changing these screens to film IMAX. I would imagine they will be digital IMAX, but that will be much more expensive.

To be honest, I kinda surprised Odeon are choosing to invest in IMAX screens at the moment. I would have thought the money would have been better spent investing in more digital screens, as there's no doubt the industry is hammering down that route. I would say within 5 to 8 years every surviving cinema screen in the UK will be in digital.

However, there's news from the US that their plans to convert 2000 digital screens to 3D have been reigned in to just 200. The reason has been put down to the credit crunch.:sad:

I guess Odeon have seen the potential for major blockbusters being released in Imax as well as standard cinema, The Dark Knight in particular had a very successful Imax release. Lenore and I saw TDK in Orlando in IMAX and it was absolutely breathtaking. Almost like a ride!:eek:

A.

Scottie
11th December 2008, 08:00 PM
Almost like a ride!:eek:

A.

Now that's just to much information.:hand::hand:;):p

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 08:01 PM
Now that's just to much information.:hand::hand:;):p

PMSL.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

euan
11th December 2008, 08:45 PM
They've not had a great selection of films on it yet, but it is more expensive so we'll see what it's like and report back. Will maybe try and go next week (wonder if it's on Orange Wednesdays?)

The screens are apparently much bigger, and certainly in our Odeon to sit in the middle of the screen you need to get the more expensive Premier seats or whatever they are called, so I'm a bit wary of it as a marketing thing. We saw the first Batman on IMAX and it was awesome, but it was almost too big a screen, so really intrigued by it!

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 08:52 PM
I'd be surprised if it's a marketing ploy, to be honest. An IMAX screen should be at least 4 times the size of a standard cinema screen. As far as I was aware, most IMAX screens were purpose built. So I'd be interested to see/know how they put an IMAX screen in an existing building without either knocking down into the basement or lifting the roof up. Also, the rake on an IMAX is usually much steeper than standard screen.

Look forward to your opinion on what it looks like when you see it Euan.:thumbs up:

A.:D

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 08:54 PM
They've not had a great selection of films on it yet,

And that really doesn't surprise me as there really aren't that many released in IMAX. Sure, there are more now than their used to be, but still not that many.

A.