PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Disks

Burple
11th December 2008, 01:11 PM
Hey guys..
Turns out I'm going to need to replace my rear disks and pads for my wee beastie's MOT later this month...
I've found an excellent guide on how to replace the pads on
NAM (http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/tires-wheels-and-brakes/43438-detailed-writeup-on-changing-rear-brake-pads-beginners.html) (as always) :thumbs up::cool:
Question time tho.. to replace the disks, is it just a case of removing the single Torx bolt on the face of the disk (as shown below) and removing the disk and putting the new one on? or is it more complicated than that? Anyone know?

http://littlemini.us/builder/img/brakepads/DSCN4810.jpg

Cheers! :thumbs up:

Big Gordy
11th December 2008, 03:21 PM
If memory serves me right you will have to remove the wheel bearing via the nut in the centre with the split pin. You may also need a bit of 'gentle persuasion' to get the disc off the hub carrier :Whistle:

Burple
11th December 2008, 03:28 PM
If memory serves me right you will have to remove the wheel bearing via the nut in the centre with the split pin. You may also need a bit of 'gentle persuasion' to get the disc off the hub carrier :Whistle:

Really? For the rears?
I see no Hub nut.... :confused:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/gallery/data/500/DSC04909_copy.jpg

On the *Fronts* there is a hub nut / split pin set up...
(yes I know.. this pic has a different wheel stud set up, but it's clean and you can see the disc / bolt.. :D )

**EDIT** Ok, found more advice on NAM ( I love that site!), about removing rear brake disks (rotors, lol), and absolutely no mention of any Hub nut. The Torx bolt appears to only hold the disk onto the hub, the wheel nuts do the *real* heavy work.
*Note to self* visit the parents before attempting, and borrow dad's BIG rubber mallet for 'gentle persuasion' ;):D

Gismo
11th December 2008, 03:51 PM
No bearing to remove, remove as per your first post :thumbs up:
Try GT Tuning (http://www.gtt.uk.com/brakes.asp) they may just be cheaper than originals

Burple
11th December 2008, 04:02 PM
No bearing to remove, remove as per your first post :thumbs up:
Try GT Tuning (http://www.gtt.uk.com/brakes.asp) they may just be cheaper than originals

Excellent! Cheers! good to hear a second opinion! :cool:
Got pads and discs ordered. If I'd seen the GTT ones first I might have been very very tempted, but getting standard ones a bit cheaper than that :D
Ta for the link tho.. No doubt the fronts will need done soon ;):thumbs up:

Big Gordy
11th December 2008, 04:48 PM
I stand corrected..........I did say I was going from memory ie older vehicles I've done before:blush: Sorry:moonie:

ianking
11th December 2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah when you are removing the pads the Caliper swings up allowing the disc to be persuaded out without having to fully remove the caliper.
Mind and put new pad guides in and a touch of copper grease on said guides.
No bearings to be removed.

Gordy, no split pin on the MINI set up. The hub nut has a wee bit that you flatten down with a punch.

Burple
11th December 2008, 04:58 PM
Yeah when you are removing the pads the Caliper swings up allowing the disc to be persuaded out without having to fully remove the caliper.
Mind and put new pad guides in and a touch of copper grease on said guides.
No bearings to be removed.

Gordy, no split pin on the MINI set up. The hub nut has a wee bit that you flatten down with a punch.

:thumbs up::thumbs up: Scribbled a note to remember the Coppergrease! I would have forgotten about it.. lol. It's been a while! since I scraped my fingers on Classic brakes! :laugh:

It's ok Gordy.. I'll let you off.. put it down to a 'senior moment' ;):p:moonie:

:laugh::laugh:
<runs>

Gismo
11th December 2008, 06:15 PM
And don't forget to "wind" the piston back at the same time as pushing it back in

Crombers
11th December 2008, 06:26 PM
This is all because of his 'Knockhill' moment you know :rolleyes:

MrMischief
11th December 2008, 07:51 PM
Ewan,

They should be pretty straightforward looking at your pics. Very similar to the wife's old Lupo with the Torx bolt locating the disc in position until the wheelnuts clamp it on.

I'd assume your pistons will wind in rather than just push in, either way I've got some brake service tools that may be handy.

Let me know what discs you go for & your verdict on them as we'll need to do our S soon too :thumbs up:

Cheers
Steve

Burple
11th December 2008, 11:05 PM
Ewan,

They should be pretty straightforward looking at your pics. Very similar to the wife's old Lupo with the Torx bolt locating the disc in position until the wheelnuts clamp it on.

I'd assume your pistons will wind in rather than just push in, either way I've got some brake service tools that may be handy.

Let me know what discs you go for & your verdict on them as we'll need to do our S soon too :thumbs up:

Cheers
Steve

Kewl! :thumbs up: I might take you up on that, I'm gonna try the ol' 'C' clamp and needle nose pliers way first, remembering to twist them in ;) Printed off that guide from NAM too :thumbs up:

I've just gone for the boggo standard ones for the rear. the fronts will get done next year sometime, I'll look into the GTT or EBC ones for that I think :thumbs up::cool:

MrMischief
11th December 2008, 11:57 PM
Kewl! :thumbs up: I might take you up on that, I'm gonna try the ol' 'C' clamp and needle nose pliers way first, remembering to twist them in ;) Printed off that guide from NAM too :thumbs up:

I've just gone for the boggo standard ones for the rear. the fronts will get done next year sometime, I'll look into the GTT or EBC ones for that I think :thumbs up::cool:

Having said that...I've had a look about for them tonight & found nowt :argh:

Must still be at my folks' house :rolleyes:

:Whistle:

Burple
12th December 2008, 12:08 AM
Having said that...I've had a look about for them tonight & found nowt :argh:

Must still be at my folks' house :rolleyes:

:Whistle:

No worries! :thumbs up::D

I'm sure I can find something in me dad's shed that'll work! :D:D

ianking
12th December 2008, 09:34 AM
I was able to push the piston in using a G clamp and a bit of wood. Just remember and take the fluid reservior cap off to allow the pressure to flow back.

Burple
12th December 2008, 11:30 AM
I was able to push the piston in using a G clamp and a bit of wood. Just remember and take the fluid reservior cap off to allow the pressure to flow back.

:thumbs up::thumbs up: Yip, the 'how to' guide didn't mention that, but I remember that trick from the Classic days! :cool:;):D

Ah well, I'm off all next week, looks like I have a job! That and putting the winter wheels on! :D

MrMischief
13th December 2008, 12:28 AM
:thumbs up::thumbs up: Yip, the 'how to' guide didn't mention that, but I remember that trick from the Classic days! :cool:;):D

Ah well, I'm off all next week, looks like I have a job! That and putting the winter wheels on! :D

You can fit the new late spec supercharger I've just bought for ours too :smilewinkgrin:

Need to get a Works spec sized pulley & a new belt...any ideas which one works best - GTT??

Burple
16th December 2008, 11:45 PM
Job done! Spent this afternoon getting stuck in, got a shot of a caliper tool from Zimbo, didn't quite fit, but it got the job done :thumbs up: Obviously 'Mini' is not one of the standard fittings ;)
THe disks on the car didn't look too bad, until I started taking it apart.. the back of the disks was deeply scored, and it took a bit of 'persuasion' ;) to get the caliper off, but no drama!
Everything pretty much came apart as it should with a bit of effort, and went back together too.
So.. new disks and pads on the rear, wee winter wheels on, and a quick wash. Sorted! :cool: The guide from NAM was spot on too! I'l have to nip over there and say 'ta' too! :cool::thumbs up:

Gismo
16th December 2008, 11:51 PM
Sounds like a thread for the how to section to me ;)

Burple
17th December 2008, 12:07 AM
Sounds like a thread for the how to section to me ;)

If I'd taken pics I would have, but I might do it and link othe NAM guide when I get a chance.. if you don't mind, with some extra notes...