PDA

View Full Version : Woolworths

Scottie
10th December 2008, 11:03 PM
Shame it looks like they may have to shut up shop.

Not a shop I go into much now but as a youngster was never out of it.

sign of the times.

Be a few bargains tomorrow Quality Street~ Roses ~ Blue Ray DVD's etc etc.

Hope the employees get another job ok.

Gismo
10th December 2008, 11:32 PM
Was available for a £1, but, you also had to clear the £138m debt, Scottie.......:hand:

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 12:54 AM
Was available for a £1, but, you also had to clear the £138m debt, Scottie.......:hand:

In the grand scheme of things, £138m is not a lot of money.

A.

Big Gordy
11th December 2008, 09:17 AM
Spoken like a true movie mogal :clap:

illegalhunter
11th December 2008, 10:27 AM
Spoken like a true movie mogal :clap:
I love this site:thumbs up:

euan
11th December 2008, 10:33 AM
In the grand scheme of things, £138m is not a lot of money.

A.

Thing is, it is a lot of money that you would never recoup. To get Woolworths competitive, you'd need to clear that debt, revamp all the stores to expand the product line and sort out it's online. My issue with Woolworths is this - what is it there for now? What do they sell that nobody else does? I've always found them to be a bit more expensive for CD's and the like, and the range in store near me was shocking. The staff were also not as good as you'd find in other stores.

So, you may get it for a pound and clear the 138million, but you'd need to invest a lot of money to sort the rest of it. The most saleable thing they have now is the land the stores are on (though most will be leased) so you'd end up flogging the stores to Tesco and keeping a smaller number of stores.

No wonder nobody bought it...

mini saltire
11th December 2008, 11:37 AM
My wife asked me how on earth they could get into such financial difficulties? I told her :idea: "If you think about how often someone pinches a penny chew from the pick & mix...." I got told to shut up??? :yes nod::laugh:

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 01:08 PM
The truth is, I can't remember the last time I was in Woollies for anything. Yes they have 4 gang extension cables next to the pick & mix that dryden was stealing from which is next to the kids clothes which is next to the CD's and the toasters and kids toys. But everything mentioned there is available, usually cheaper, in Tesco's/ASDA/Morrisons etc.

A.:sad:

Sheilz
11th December 2008, 05:13 PM
I went in to my local store to join the vultures looking to pick over its carcass. Ended up putting everything I'd picked up down because the queues were mental and didn't have much enthusiasm for spending a very rare day off crushed amongst sweaty bodies - not those in Woolies anyway :D

N12 JLK
11th December 2008, 08:46 PM
Always found Woolies to be boring, nothing they sold took my fancy apart from all the JML rubbish they sold eg- potato peelers with built in DVD, ironing board covers with tin opener attachments.
I wont even miss the pick and mix that everyone has coughed over! mmmm:cool:

Crombers
11th December 2008, 09:49 PM
Woolworths......................nah

Next !!

The Dogfather
11th December 2008, 10:20 PM
Woolies, The Store that Time Forgot

Sheilz
13th December 2008, 01:51 PM
Woolies - the store that generations of school kids perfected the art of pilfering sweeties, pens and pencils :frown: