PDA

View Full Version : Trying to buy a new telly

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2008, 01:36 AM
For the kitchen. Got a Sony 26" lcd just now which is pants. The whole picture goes dark when you try to view the screen sitting anything below mid level. As it's mounted to the wall next to the kitchen table we sit at, we are always slightly below mid level so the screen is turned up to full brightness and is still pants.

So we're looking for a 37" or 40" thing.

Been looking at the Sony KDL40W4500 and the Toshiba 37RV555DB. Both look to be OK sets. Would prefer a 100hz model, but not absolutely essential.

The biggest problem we have had is the quality of the signal being fed into the tellys in the likes of Currys and Comet. They are often just crappy analogue. Although down here in the sleepy Borders we no longer posses old stylee analogue telly. It's digital or nothing. But the stores still seem to be making an arse of showing these tellys with a decent picture. You'd think they don't want to sell. Either that or they are just taking advantage of the fact that many folk will walk in, go "Oooh, that one has a nice shiny plastic bit down the edge. yes, we'll take that one."

I also had a strange conversation with one of the sales monkey's... He said we shouldn't pay any attention to the quality of the image as the distance of the cable from their aerial to the TV's was so long they loose signal quality. I love getting into these wee technical arguments so I dove in with two feet. I asked him to confirm they no longer receive analogue signals. Correct. So, I asked him if it was just digital signals he was receiving. Correct. So I asked him what effect such a long cable has on the picture. He said it made the image fuzzy.:confused: Now, my automatic reaction to that is that he was talking bollocks. A digital signal is a digital signal. If the length of cable from their aerial to the telly (tuner) was so long as to give a drop in signal quality, surely the TV's simply wouldn't tune, wouldn't find all stations, or would show digital blocking or stuttering on images and sound. I don't see how it can make a digital picture "fuzzy".:confused:

Our search goes on.

A.

Craig
10th December 2008, 08:38 AM
Andy,

the Gadget show gave 5 G's to the sony telly (think it was the model below KDL40W4000) and it came in at about £730.

It doesn't have 100HZ but they said the picture was MUCH better than the other 2 they tested and at least one of them was 100HZ. :thumbs up:

AndyP & Lenore
10th December 2008, 10:29 AM
Cheers Craig, I'll have a wee looky and see if I can see it in any of the shops when we're off at the end of the week.

A.:thumbs up:

Bazthemod
10th December 2008, 10:51 AM
In my store we have 200+ tvs fed by an analogue system that is plugged into a £20 dvd player.... the system has been the same since we sold CRT

They did trial component connections but many tvs will not jump onto the component source automatically from power up. So as you can imagine starting up a big store and having to change the source on every tv then run about putting hifi's on then computing & gaming depts would be huge task every day.

Our stores are about to all be refitted in an apple store stylee so hopefully they will finally realise how much customers are put off by the picture quaility and so something about it. When i was a salesman i would happily tune the tv into digital for the customer to see or pop in usb pen drive to play clips if the tv supported it.

As for the cable situation.... there are too many conflicting stories out there... we get belkin reps telling us one thing and company literature telling us another. All i know about longer cables for sure is that you will get a lag time if it's a stupid length but if its a high quality cable that is shielded you shouldn't get any loss in quality or interference.

As an aside we have just had the sony team in to install their new wall instore and the tvs are all hooked up to HD and also hooked up to PS3 and handycams. This wont be in everystore mind only the big superstores get this and im quite lucky working in scotlands 2nd largest lol we get all the toys! :hand:

euan
10th December 2008, 11:21 AM
Andy, I was between a Sony LCD and a Panasonic - the LZD85 which is a 32 and 100hz, but they do it in a 37 as well.

There wasn't a lot in it, but I went with the Panasonic as it had been out a bit longer and the Sony was still too new to get a decent price on it. I adore the Panasonic, it's a real quality TV, but I'm sure I'd have been as happy with the Sony.

As for the signals - I went to one high street store to get an upscaling DVD player (it was on offer) and they had 4 TV's hooked up with a variety of different cables - the idea being to get you to buy the more expensive cable. Hand on heart, I could tell not one bit of difference.

Burple
10th December 2008, 11:38 AM
Andy, I'm kind of looking at the same thing myself just now..
I've got the choice down to about 3 now..
a 42" Panasonic plasma TH-42PZ80B (It's just a *wee* bit too big methinks)
a 40" Samsung LCD - LE40A686M1 (FXXU?) Love the look of the new Samsungs!
and the 40" Sony KDL40W4000....

Currys are doing the Samsung for about £880, with a free Bu-ray player..
The guy I spoke to in Currys wasn't that interested in trying to sell either of them ;)
The Sony is about £812 in each of Currys and Comet, but in the Sony centre, they're doing it for £999 (ouch), but with free PS3;);) and 5 year guarantee...

choices choices.... ;)
I know I can probably get all of them cheaper elsewhere online, but there IS the hassle that will ensue if anything goes wrong with it...
TBH, I thought the Sony centre deal wasn't bad considering, and the salesman let us see it all working with proper HD on Blu-ray, and popped a pen drive in too. I have to say I've very tempted by the Sony after playing with it, although I've always stayed away from Sony tv's as I've always thought they're overpriced... I could be swayed by this baby tho! :cool::thumbs up:

Scottie
10th December 2008, 04:51 PM
what about the new led tv that sony is to bring out.?

ianking
10th December 2008, 07:58 PM
Andy

I have a Samsung LE40A656AIFXXU. Its a series 6 with 100hz, 1080p HD and 50000:1 ratio. Its the one that has the nice red tint to the plastic case. (Although that wasnt the reason I bought it;), the picture quality and reviews at the time in 'Which' won me over)
There might be a newer one out now as I bought it about 7 months ago but the picure is top notch. I am running Sky HD though and we have started watching Bue Rays on it as well with the PS3. I have both the Sky and the PS3 hooked up using HDMI cables.

Bazthemod
10th December 2008, 09:42 PM
and the 40" Sony KDL40W4000....

Currys are doing the Samsung for about £880, with a free Bu-ray player..
The guy I spoke to in Currys wasn't that interested in trying to sell either of them ;)
The Sony is about £812 in each of Currys and Comet, but in the Sony centre, they're doing it for £999 (ouch), but with free PS3;);) and 5 year guarantee... :cool::thumbs up:

We do package deals with PS3 too but they aint always advertised on the tvs... if you ask the sales person they can check if there's a package available.

Thing to bear in mind at this time of year is that there will be a lot of xmas temps about in these shops... i know we have 10 at the moment who have been thrown out on shopfloor with 2 days training on health and safety and nothing else.

My advice is ask for experienced sales colleague at Customers Services or do your own homework.

The 6 series samsung is good value for money... yes it has been updated but the 7 series is pricier!!

The sony OLED is just out but far too pricey for the market just now... i see that being at store level maybe in the summer of 09

Scottie
10th December 2008, 10:46 PM
The sony OLED is just out but far too pricey for the market just now... i see that being at store level maybe in the summer of 09

Have you seen it fancy upgrading to that and giving my Mum the TV I just bought when the time is right.

:off topic: Now that I have my Sky HD Installed. How cool is HD:cool::cool:
Desperate Housewifes in HD what more can you ask for.:blush:

Bazthemod
10th December 2008, 11:17 PM
Yeah i have seen it ... super thin and picture quality is mind blowing you will find OLED will take over the market within next few years as it gets cheaper to produce.

You will find OLED on everything within 5 years i think... they are starting to make OLED displays that can bend and be used on packaging for food etc all pretty cool!

Scottie
10th December 2008, 11:54 PM
When I was choosing my new TV recently without DVB as I have Sky.

I was hankering after a Sony but I cant' say the Sony was WOW really but as always a great screen. Personally I dont think I've seen a bad Sony screen however I'm not really a fan of Sony myself although the sales guy was getting into this 200hz as being the only choice to have. Sony do take a lot of time to get their SD signal processing up to scratch then always fail on getting the best contrast levels imho. Saying that the Sony was as good as the Pioneer I looked at (although we only saw SKY HD on the Sony and a BD player on the Pioneer so like for like was difficult to achieve). However at the end of the day I chose a 50" so I went Plasma and Panasonic.

Bazthemod
11th December 2008, 12:07 AM
I have never been huge fan of Sony or Panasonic as i think the casing designs are really dated. However recent models are starting to look better and the new Sony wall that has just been installed at my store has blown me away.

I have a Philips 7 series with ambilight... amazing picture quality especially running HD video through my MacBook Pro ;)

I have heard that a tv with 100/200hz causes a loss in picture quality when watching sky. Few customers have been told by sky technical help to turn off their 100hz for a better picture!!

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 01:08 AM
Terrific thread this. Glad I posted up to say we were looking.

Baz, I wish I was near you so I could come in and we could chat TV's without the bullsh*t we get from inexperienced salesmonkeys. Like you say, this time of year, lots of temps around.

Interesting what Baz was saying about the 100/200hz issue. Hadn't heard of that. To be honest we've looked at a couple of 100hz and 50hz sets sitting next to each other and with some it's blatantly obvious and clearly a better image, but sometimes there's just no difference at all. I suspect on those occasions, the set with is 100hz capable may be set to run at 50hz.

If we were going for 42" or above it would be plasma without a doubt. But I'm pretty sure we've settled on 37" as that is big enough for a kitchen at the end of the day. Crikey, we used to have a 14" CRT portable in the kitchen and thought we were privileged.

Baz I get what you're saying about changing all the inputs on 200+ tellys each morning. Even if it only took 1 minute per telly, that's still over 3 hours.

Ian, Samsung... there's always just something about them that makes me shy away from them. Even the case design just doesn't gel with me for some reason.

The search continues....

A.

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 01:12 AM
Oh eye and...

Was in a local independent retailer today. They had Freesat HD set up connected to a Toshiba 42" plasma, showing BBC HD.

I was absolutely blown away. I've seen my Dad's Sky HD connected to his 42" Hitachi plasma and I thought it looked.... ok. But to be honest I thought my standard Sky + box connected to my 42" Hitachi Plasma using an RGB to Component converter then component cables into the plasma was almost as good. It's put us off getting Sky HD for a year or so anyway. But this Freesat HD was the clearest, sharpest picture I've seen for a very long time.

A.

Bazthemod
11th December 2008, 01:59 AM
Freesat is getting a good reputation just now sadly we dont have a signal for it instore yet but we are due this early next year im sure.

I work as a merchandiser now as i got fed up of the sales routine and saying the same things to customers 20+ times a day. I work mainly in plain clothes and it's interesting to hear what waffle customers come away with and sales people for that matter! I do feel sorry for people who believe every word but i guess if they are happily oblivious then more fool them.

Our first new concept store opens in Aberdeen this weekend, will be really interesting to see all the new layouts/ fixtures.

http://www.insideretailing.com.au/Portals/0/Store-Profile/Currys-Digital-UK2.jpg
http://www.insideretailing.com.au/Portals/0/Store-Profile/Currys-Digital-UK.jpg

This is kinda look they are going for on the highstreet, the superstores will be in a similar style :smilewinkgrin:

The aim is having the products all demo ready and not behind glass cases and security. Early signs show that stores in this format are doing 25% better business :D

euan
11th December 2008, 10:29 AM
Interesting Baz. People want to play with the kit and it's hard sometimes to get someone to help you, so by letting people use the kit they are more likely to hang about and buy something.

100HZ - It's not possible to turn this off on all TV's - I know on the Panasonic you can't. I have heard some people complain when you hook it through SKY and the 100hz, but I don't have, nor will I ever likely have, SKY, so it's not an issue for me. The SD picture using the built in Freeview is very good, and it looks good through an upscaling DVD player as well. I desperatly want to feed it some real HD though...

I didn't really like the Samsung TVs- they look great in terms of casing, but the picture quality disappointed me in comparison to the Sony/Panasonic. I want my TV to look great when it's on, the case design is secondary ;-)

Big Gordy
11th December 2008, 11:39 AM
I didn't really like the Samsung TVs- they look great in terms of casing, but the picture quality disappointed me in comparison to the Sony/Panasonic.

In the end its all down to personal choice but Ross and I both have Samsungs LCD's and they are top notch for performance, picture quality, price and reliability in my opinion. In contrast my brother-in-law has a new Sony and I think the picture quality is crap compaired to my Samsung:eek: It may just be because he's not got it set up properly tho':argh:

Gismo
11th December 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm still sticking with my Pioneer, my local dealer has an amazing shop set up now and can demo everything as required in his 2 new shops.
I wired in the computer network system and saw the quality of the cables used to feed the many plasmas, lcd's and projectors.
But, it's a very difficult choice nowadays as i believe there is very little in it when everything is connected and set up correctly.
Side by side i haven't seen anything that makes my current telly look bad.

It's more to do with personal choice and am lucky enough i can view stuff knowing that the guys i'm speaking to actually know what they are talking about :yes nod:

euan
11th December 2008, 12:40 PM
In the end its all down to personal choice but Ross and I both have Samsungs LCD's and they are top notch for performance, picture quality, price and reliability in my opinion. In contrast my brother-in-law has a new Sony and I think the picture quality is crap compaired to my Samsung:eek: It may just be because he's not got it set up properly tho':argh:

There is a lot to be said for setting them up correctly. The Philips seems to have a very good setup these days for people who don't really know much about what all the functions are (100Hz etc) but most people - my parents for example - have a good tv setup badly.

As you say - it's down to personal choice and the setup. If there was a clear winner every time this place would be very dull :D

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 01:02 PM
There is a lot to be said for setting them up correctly. The Philips seems to have a very good setup these days for people who don't really know much about what all the functions are (100Hz etc) but most people - my parents for example - have a good tv setup badly.

Euan, I would agree with that completely. It took weeks of moaning and persuading Lenore's parents to switch from coax to Scart cables when then got their 42" plasma!!!!

A.

Gismo
11th December 2008, 01:06 PM
Euan, I would agree with that completely. It took weeks of moaning and persuading Lenore's parents to switch from coax to Scart cables when then got their 42" plasma!!!!

A.Scart cables :argh: surely they have component

AndyP & Lenore
11th December 2008, 01:10 PM
Scart cables :argh: surely they have component

Component IN on the Telly - it's a Pioneer - but nothing with a component out. They have their DVD player and their Sky + box all hooked up on Scart now.:thumbs up:

A.

Burple
12th December 2008, 05:20 PM
Soooo..

What;s the overall consensus around these parts?
Which would be the better buy for general TV watching (digital cable) and gaming (Xbox)? Plasma or LCD?
Planning to upgrade to Blu-ray eventually..

I can see the pro's and con's of each, but it's not helping! :D
I think the LCD would be better for me because of the lower amount of screen reflection, but then there's the richer colours from a plasma... Ack!
Pretty sure I'm edging towards LCD, either Samsung or Sony. The sony is amazing, I've seen one set up properly. I've yet to see a Samsung set up correctly, but i've heard a lot about the quality being at least equal to the Sony. Fliipin heck.. this ain't easy! :laugh::laugh::D

Gismo
12th December 2008, 05:39 PM
Soooo..

What's the overall consensus around these parts?Depends on what size telly you are going for ;)
Anything over 40 inch is a no brainer, plasma all the way, but, say 30 - 40 inch and you've got a load of choice, under 30 inch and it's LCD.
If you intend gaming a lot, then the dark colours and shading would suit a plasma, in my very humble opinion :rolleyes:

AndyP & Lenore
12th December 2008, 05:43 PM
Depends on what size telly you are going for ;)
Anything over 40 inch is a no brainer, plasma all the way, but, say 30 - 40 inch and you've got a load of choice, under 30 inch and it's LCD.
If you intend gaming a lot, then the dark colours and shading would suit a plasma, in my very humble opinion :rolleyes:

Yeah! Exactly what he says.:thumbs up:

A.:D

Gismo
12th December 2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah! Exactly what he says.:thumbs up:

A.:D:eek: :rolleyes:

Burple
12th December 2008, 05:46 PM
:thumbs up:
Kewl.. cheers.. I've been doing a bit or research this afternoon while things are quiet :D

I've just read a few 'proper' techy review and my brain is now fizzing :laugh::laugh:

I think overall This One (http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/501484/SAMSUNG-LE40A686M1FXXU) is edging it at the mo..

(Although not necesasrily from Comet of course!!) :p:D

euan
12th December 2008, 06:37 PM
Kewl.. cheers.. I've been doing a bit or research this afternoon while things are quiet :D

I've just read a few 'proper' techy review and my brain is now fizzing :laugh::laugh:

I think overall This One (http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/501484/SAMSUNG-LE40A686M1FXXU) is edging it at the mo..

If you really want it to fizz, delve into the forums on avforums.com. Now THAT will hurt your head...

Ferengo
13th December 2008, 01:14 PM

I have a samsung and it's awesome. Great picture for a great price. It's the LE40M86BD. Totally the best buy. Did have small issue, but Samsung were great, They arranged a local company to call back within the hour and pick up the TV and return it without cost. The 360 looks awesome on it to.

Also if you're thinking on upgrading to bluray then you may want to think on one of the PS3 packages that are going around. Means you get another console and bluray player in 1. Then you can join us on COD :D.

MrMischief
13th December 2008, 09:04 PM
Soooo..

What;s the overall consensus around these parts?
Which would be the better buy for general TV watching (digital cable) and gaming (Xbox)? Plasma or LCD?
Planning to upgrade to Blu-ray eventually..

Feel free to come down to ours and see what you think of our Sony KDL-40W2000. We've had it around 2 years and although it's not as technically advanced as what you can buy nowadays (we got it online back then for about £1500 - it was only available by order in the shops for around £2500 at the time, and the X series was around £5k at the time :eek:), it's still 1080p and runs Blu-Ray very nicely through the PS3. I've hooked it up to run with some TEAC component speakers & sub which sounds not bad.

Burple
28th December 2008, 05:11 PM
Well.. I finally jumped in, after reading a stupifd amount of reviews, it was pretty much narrowed down to the Sony KDL-40W4000, or the Samsung 40LE656A..

Until I had a peek on a couple of websites in the early hours of the 26th ;)
Both Currys and Comet were doing the 656 range Samsung, for about £750 - £800. pretty much bugger all off the price :rolleyes:
Then i spotted the 40LE686... exactly the same spec telly, but with a better (allegedly) sound processor... for £699.. a nice £180 off it. SOLD!
Popped into the shop at 9.30, was out of there 15 mins later, poorer and a happy bunny :D
Standard telly, it's not too shabby at all.. but with the Xbox on thru a proper VGA cable.. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool: Great Googly Moogly! Just awesome!
I may never leave the house again.. well except for NMS runs ;)
The Xbox does a superb job of upscaling dvds too! :cool::thumbs up:
Happy Bunny!

Gismo
29th December 2008, 06:08 AM
Standard telly, it's not too shabby at all.. but with the Xbox on thru a proper VGA cable.. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::cool: Great Googly Moogly! Just awesome!Eh, why aren't you using an hdmi cable??

Burple
29th December 2008, 03:08 PM
Eh, why aren't you using an hdmi cable??

cos my Xbox is one of the older (or more basic - for now ;)) ones without the HDMI output :p;):D

Sheilz
29th December 2008, 05:45 PM
We're looking for a new telly just now as well and because I know zilch about modern technology have done a fair bit of research before chosing a new one. Our option is for a 37 ins and a toss up between a Sony Bravia and a Samsung. I went online to independent review sites and found one particular site that gave very indepth reviews albeit most of it went above my head. Son - in law x2 started out their careers as TV engineers with the result that we came down on the side of the sony - samsung make their panels as they do for most tellys but sony electronics for driving the internal bitties are reputed to be of better quality than samsung. Gary has one of each and came down on the side of the sony by a slim margin. Though really for someone like me I probably would be oblivious to any defects or poorer areas in all but the crapest of TVs. Problem is now deciding how to disguise the wiring - bit messy cutting into a stone wall!

PS A&P A certain young lady was thrilled to bits with her unexpected pressie. Have listened to 101 variations of chopsticks to date as well as several hours worth of Beauty and the Beast. Can't wait for her to master another tune no matter how simple it may be :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Burple
30th December 2008, 01:34 AM
We're looking for a new telly just now as well and because I know zilch about modern technology have done a fair bit of research before chosing a new one. Our option is for a 37 ins and a toss up between a Sony Bravia and a Samsung. I went online to independent review sites and found one particular site that gave very indepth reviews albeit most of it went above my head. Son - in law x2 started out their careers as TV engineers with the result that we came down on the side of the sony - samsung make their panels as they do for most tellys but sony electronics for driving the internal bitties are reputed to be of better quality than samsung. Gary has one of each and came down on the side of the sony by a slim margin. Though really for someone like me I probably would be oblivious to any defects or poorer areas in all but the crapest of TVs. Problem is now deciding how to disguise the wiring - bit messy cutting into a stone wall!

It was pretty much that close for me too.. I decided on the Samsung cos I like the looks better :cool::thumbs up:
I have to say that I'm well impressed by the lack of space the 40"er seems to take up compared to the huge monster Philips 32" it's replacing!
I was worried about such a huge jump in size, but all is well!

Crombers
30th December 2008, 10:38 AM
I may never leave the house again.. well except for NMS runs ;)

................. & if I'm not gettin p!shed the night before :rolleyes: :D

Crombers
30th December 2008, 10:41 AM
Trying to buy a new telly for the kitchen.

I tend to cook & clean in my kitchen :p

It might get a bit 'messy' tryin to watch telly at the same time :rolleyes: :D

Ferengo
30th December 2008, 08:35 PM
Well since this is a new TV thread I'm having some problems searching for one too. I got a 40" Samsung last year, 1080p and all the trimmings and have finally convinced the wife (After me sorting out the spare room and spending 3 days going to Ikea and then building flat pack) that we can get another HDTV for the spare room We can't go bigger than 32" as the unit it's going in won't fit it (Our 40" is about 2"s or so too big)

Problem is that 32" seems to be the grey area for 1080p where there isn't very many. I have £350 to spend for the moment. Doesn't have to be 1080p but I really don't know all the tech spec/ My samsung is great but I do find the whole speaker in the back and not on the front thing a pain as music in BluRay movies is always way to loud (Maybe this is s setting).

Any suggestions?

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2008, 08:53 PM
Ferengo, is the speaker on your 40" Samsung in the back?

I saw today that Tesco's were selling 32" Sony Bravia's for £399. Must have been about 10 folk in the store with one in a trolley. And I was only in and out in 10 seconds flat for a pint of milk.

A.

Scottie
30th December 2008, 09:19 PM

I saw today that Tesco's were selling 32" Sony Bravia's for £399. Must have been about 10 folk in the store with one in a trolley. And I was only in and out in 10 seconds flat for a pint of milk.

A.

and what make of milk did you buy.:Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2008, 10:34 PM
and what make of milk did you buy.:Whistle:

Cows.:moonie:

You did ask.;bigwave:

Scottie
30th December 2008, 11:10 PM
Cows.:moonie:

You did ask.;bigwave:

was is it Black&White, Jersey:Whistle::Whistle:

AndyP & Lenore
30th December 2008, 11:42 PM
was is it Black&White, Jersey:Whistle::Whistle:

Not sure.:confused: The milk is white, not sure if that makes a difference.:Whistle:

A.:laugh:

Sheilz
31st December 2008, 12:58 AM

A.

Argos doing them for fifty quid less. I'm picking up the last one in their Aberdeen store tomorrow. We decided it was big enough for us. Besides the change between that and a bigger model went very nicely towards a new sony hifi juke box system. :thumbs up: Well chuffed with the hifi but also got that sinking feeling it will be too complicated for me to work. :blush: We bought new sofas etc on Boxing Day so kind of need to get rid of all the stuff that clutters the living room. Having to be ruthless. Munro's a hoarder and finding the whole proccess quite painful :laugh::clap:

Gismo
31st December 2008, 06:52 AM
In all honesty the human eye cannot tell the difference of a tv that shows above 50 Mhz and that also includes being able to distinguish between 1080i and 1080p.
Having said all that, it's disappointing if you cannot get a 1080p tv nowadays :rolleyes:
So, 1080i aint a bad option..............

AndyP & Lenore
31st December 2008, 09:58 AM
Not sure I agree fully Alan.:moonie:

I can certainly tell when a set is running on 100Hz - by the way it's Hz, not Mhz, but I'm sure that was just a typo.:blush:

But I would agree it takes a fairly trained eye to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. It's not so much what you see on 1080i, it's what you don't see at 1080p.

AndyP & Lenore
1st January 2009, 01:42 AM
Well after a month or so of procrastinating, we've appropriated ourselves a 40" Sony LCD. It's the KDL40V4000.:thumbs up:

It's on the wall in the kitchen and it looks amazing. It's only connected by SCART from our Sky Box as it is in the adjoining living room, but the picture quality is absolutely excellent. And I couldn't resist having a wee play with the PS3 via HDMI playing COD4 in 720P and that looked simply stunning too.:cool:

So, all round, we're delighted with what we bought. And at £587 from Comet a bargain to boot.:D

Ferengo
1st January 2009, 01:39 PM
It is indeed at the back. think the model I have is Samsung LE40M86BD. We watched the Dark Night on Blu Ray and the sound levels were aweful. If you have any suggestions for making the sound better on it then I'm all ears.

Saw the Sony TV you were talking about but it's £349 in Dundee and Currys do the same model but in black for the same price. I saw an LG 1080p 32" for £349 that I'm gonna try and find (All stores in Dundee are sold out).

A.

Ferengo
1st January 2009, 01:42 PM
Your new TV is 1080p, why is COD playing in 720p? I remember a discussion the day I joined regarding if COD played in 1080p and I think it did. Well I'm off to try and get a TV now (Stores down south are open today) :thumbs up:.

Well after a month or so of procrastinating, we've appropriated ourselves a 40" Sony LCD. It's the KDL40V4000.:thumbs up:

It's on the wall in the kitchen and it looks amazing. It's only connected by SCART from our Sky Box as it is in the adjoining living room, but the picture quality is absolutely excellent. And I couldn't resist having a wee play with the PS3 via HDMI playing COD4 in 720P and that looked simply stunning too.:cool:

So, all round, we're delighted with what we bought. And at £587 from Comet a bargain to boot.:D

AndyP & Lenore
1st January 2009, 02:10 PM
Your new TV is 1080p, why is COD playing in 720p? I remember a discussion the day I joined regarding if COD played in 1080p and I think it did.

I was wondering that myself. The game box states it will play in 1080p, but it is deffo only 720p. Was a bit pissed about that. Need to look into it a bit further. I'll head over to the Call Of Duty forums and see if others have posted about it. But I'm sure I used to get 1080p on my Plasma in the living room.:confused:

Ferengo
1st January 2009, 03:36 PM
How can you tell? I need to check mine.

I was wondering that myself. The game box states it will play in 1080p, but it is deffo only 720p. Was a bit pissed about that. Need to look into it a bit further. I'll head over to the Call Of Duty forums and see if others have posted about it. But I'm sure I used to get 1080p on my Plasma in the living room.:confused:

Ferengo
1st January 2009, 05:12 PM
Well I got one the LG 37LG5010. Got it for £470 from Dixons. Anyone interested they have a discount of £50 for all orders over £500 until the end of jan 1st. Codes is: NEWYEAR50 and DELTV for free delivery on TVs. The free delivery is valid until I don't know when. :thumbs up:.

Gismo
1st January 2009, 05:24 PM
I was wondering that myself. The game box states it will play in 1080p, but it is deffo only 720pI've mentioned this before and i've never managed to get it to show in 1080p.
What i think happens is that the tv shows it's in 1080p mode (assuming the tv can show it) and then switches to 720p when the game actually starts and that's the way it's always been for me

Ferengo
1st January 2009, 09:15 PM
I've mentioned this before and i've never managed to get it to show in 1080p.
What i think happens is that the tv shows it's in 1080p mode (assuming the tv can show it) and then switches to 720p when the game actually starts and that's the way it's always been for me

That certainly happens on the xbox when you play Need for speed so it would make sense as I think the box states 1080p & 720p.