PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Boot Rack

Steve74
11th April 2004, 07:50 PM
I have just realised that it's going to be very difficult to transport my mountain bike in my MCS as even with the wheels off it's very big! I tried Edinburgh Bike today for a boot rack but Thule doesn't seem to make a cycle carrier for the Mini.

Does anyone have any experience of using a bike rack and have any suggestions on what to use? Need to take the bike to London on Thursday!!

Vosh
12th April 2004, 01:51 AM
I use a Thule Freeway but thats on a Cooper, I don't think the straps would work with the Cooper S spolier.

Another website I use had a discussion about it the other day. Have a look here:
http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/read.php?f=2&i=998615&t=998615#reply_998615

Hopefully that might help. Or you could get them to drill the holes in the roof. Was at Glentress today parked beside a red/white Cooper and it had the roof system. Looked better than I thought it would.

Steve74
12th April 2004, 02:17 AM
Thanks for that Vosh, will check it out.

Heather
13th April 2004, 05:54 AM
I manage to get mine inside if i use the fast clip to remove the wheels. bit fiddly getting the back one back on but not due bad if your a regular MB'er. Its a 16" inch frame but a fairly chunky cannondale. Only thing i would say is stick a blanket in first as the forks play havoc with the plastic. Have fun in london:D:D:D

Wul
13th April 2004, 04:54 PM
Would the straps on the boot rack not be able to go through the hole in the middle of the S spoiler Vosh? there is only about 6 inches (ooer!) at each end where you couldn't get them through.

redpoint rallying
14th April 2004, 12:20 AM
I have recently bought a roofrack...sorry, 'modular roof loading system'(!?) for my 'S' to carry two mountain bikes.

I bought the Mont Blanc bars and then added two Thule bike carriers. The carriers are the type that the bike clamps directly to the front forks with the front wheel removed. Its very stable and lockable. The removed front wheel is then clamped normally on a wheel carrier on the roof rack also.

I didnt fancy holes drilled in my roof even if it is done by BMW and I wanted easy acess to the rear hatch without all the bother of removing the bikes and rear carrier to get at it.

You can position the bars and bikes sufficiently forward on the roof so that the roof spoiler doesnt foul on the bikes or roof rack when full opened.(removing the front wheel effectively shortens the bike.)

I would recommend this set up!

Cheers

Steve74
14th April 2004, 12:37 AM
I'm trying a last resort of stuffing the bike in the back or I'll be buying tomorrow! Cheers for all the help.

Vosh
14th April 2004, 12:41 AM
You might be able to do that Wul. I think the straps are about 1.5-2 feet apart. I'd be interested to know if I ever decide to go for an S!