PDA

View Full Version : upgrading to Sky + HD...... SO!!

Scottie
29th November 2008, 04:41 PM
We think is the time to upgrade our TV.

We are looking at the Sony 40" KDL 40Z4500 1080HD LCD tv. 200HZ motionflow. 80,000 to 1 contrast and all the other stuff.
coming in at £1709 from our local TV Shop.

Along with a Sony surround sound thing DAVIS50 with wireless rear speakers

Oh and a PS3 for Allan.:argh::argh::argh: but we can watch movies on it so he tells me.:hand::hand:

Anyway my question is: are there any other TV's out there that we should be looking at???

ianking
29th November 2008, 05:59 PM
Series 6 Samsung.
Its the one with the kind of dark red tint to the casing.

I have that model, bought it about 6 months ago. It got very good reviews in all the mags ad also in the which magazine.

I have Sky HD running on it and the PS3 and when I put the blueray films in it looks amazing. I have a 40 inch but it comes in various sizes from 32 -50 I think.

Gismo
29th November 2008, 06:11 PM
If you want perfection, look at the Pioneer Kuro :thumbs up:
Also, tell Allan to get COD4 and 5 for the PS3 ;) he can then take part in our many games nights :smilewinkgrin:

Craig
29th November 2008, 07:35 PM
We think is the time to upgrade our TV.

We are looking at the Sony 40" KDL 40Z4500 1080HD LCD tv. 200HZ motionflow. 80,000 to 1 contrast and all the other stuff.
coming in at £1709 from our local TV Shop.

Along with a Sony surround sound thing DAVIS50 with wireless rear speakers

Oh and a PS3 for Allan.:argh::argh::argh: but we can watch movies on it so he tells me.:hand::hand:

Anyway my question is: are there any other TV's out there that we should be looking at???

Fi,

your TV is for sale at Richer Sounds for over £400 less... ;)

C

euan
29th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Also, tell Allan to get COD4 and 5 for the PS3 ;) he can then take part in our many games nights :smilewinkgrin:

I'll second Pioneer - the plasma my mate has is awesome and my LCD is also very good. The look great and have made superb plasma TV's for the last few years.

Scottie
29th November 2008, 07:46 PM

are they 200hz or 100hz ?? did a quick search and I think they are only 100.

Looking at the picture running side by side you really do notice the difference on the 200hz.

Gismo
29th November 2008, 08:00 PM
Looking at the picture running side by side you really do notice the difference on the 200hz.I'm guessing here cause i have not seen both screens side by side, but, my guess is that the 200Hz will have a brighter screen which may make the overall picture "appear" better, where you will notice the difference is in the depth and shading of any black colours, especially dark and night films etc.

At the end of the day, it's your choice, no amount of recommendation will sway your decision

Scottie
29th November 2008, 08:35 PM
I'm guessing here cause i have not seen both screens side by side, but, my guess is that the 200Hz will have a brighter screen which may make the overall picture "appear" better, where you will notice the difference is in the depth and shading of any black colours, especially dark and night films etc.

At the end of the day, it's your choice, no amount of recommendation will sway your decision

I found the digital-processing software 200hz v the 100hz to give a smoother picture.

I don't mind the brand of TV I buy I just want the best available within my budget all recommendations welcome.

I did a which check on the Pioneer and this is it's review.

Not long ago, you sum up Pioneer in three words. Plasma, plasma and plasma. However, it has since dipped a toe in the LCD market and come up with the Kuro KRL range. We thought the 32-inch model was so-so, but can't wait to see how this larger screened version fares when compared with Pioneer's flagship plasma TVs.

The 32-inch model had similarities to Sharp LCD TVs, the styling and menu systems being remarkably similar and we wouldn't be surprised to see the same with this model. Unsurprisingly, the two companies are working on a joint venture.

Unfortunately the similarities to Sharp don't extend to the price and this 46-inch LCD comes in well above the average in that department.

The Kuro range features 100Hz processing, which is designed to ensure smooth movement and motion on screen, and the 'HD-ready 1080p' logo indicates you'll get a high screen resolution and full compatibility with high-definition Blu-ray DVD players.

Other features include three HDMI sockets - so fans of HD will have ample opportunity to plug in their HD set-top box, Blu-ray player or PS3 - and the addition of an ambient light sensor. This energy-saving technology should help shave a few watts off power use and a few pounds off your electricity bills.

Pros: Some decent spec on paper

Cons: Price, Sharp software

Scottie
29th November 2008, 10:52 PM
Fi,

your TV is for sale at Richer Sounds for over £400 less... ;)

C

cheers Craig might just give them a call tomorrow and go visit.:thumbs up:

euan
30th November 2008, 06:44 AM
Fi, bear in mind that they should price match in Richer Sounds, so if you can find it online take the details with you when you go.

Scottie
30th November 2008, 10:39 AM
cheapest I can find on the net if for just under 1.3k.

I can't get my sky HD installed until Jan the 12th.:ragin:

Gismo
30th November 2008, 04:14 PM
I can't get my sky HD installed until Jan the 12th.:ragin:I recently had to call out the sky folks for a replacement box, 3 day wait :yes nod: you must be caught in the crimbo rush :eek: