PDA

View Full Version : Service Time

lowrider
25th November 2008, 09:02 PM
Which oil grade and type should I use and how much do I need ?

Which spark plugs should I buy ?

Which oil filter ? Bosch I presume ?

I've heard the mini oil is pretty good. Am I right in thinking I could buy everything for a service from Mini or can I get the recommended service stuff elsewhere for less ££££, being your typical tight fisted Scot.

I have used Euro car parts before and think I could probably get it all from them.

Thanks for the advice, Andrew

Craig
25th November 2008, 09:10 PM
I have used 0w30 in my car, but know that dealers use 5w30. Not sure about how much, but I reckon a look in a haynes manual will answer that - prob work investing in it.

Normally the parts will be cheaper elsewhere than the dealer, but with somethings like wipers, thats not the case, so I would suggest getting a price from the dealer and check it against the indepedants.. ;)

ianking
25th November 2008, 10:14 PM
Air filter is about £6
Oil element is about £6
Spark plugs are the fancy 4 electrode and were £30

I serviced my cooper back in june. I got the parts from the local motor factor. If you have air con you should change the micro filter as well.

Scottie
25th November 2008, 10:37 PM
good site for information

click here (http://www.opieoils.co.uk/products-for-my-vehicle.aspx?roduct=oils-for-my-car#results)

S7JGW
25th November 2008, 11:36 PM
Seems like some good info there.
Have to get my car serviced when (if) i get home.

lowrider
26th November 2008, 12:39 PM
Cheers for the advice
Is the micro filter the pollen filter ? If you know what I mean, that is, the filter located under the glove box ?

Story so far................

eurocar parts = £43.99 for Castrol Edge oil
£2.65 each for Bosch Super 4 plugs (anyone have these ?)
£7.98 for the air filter oe equip.
£3.50 for the oil filter brand Hensh ?
+ vat.

mini = £63.80 for BMW oil
£27.80 for BMW longlife plugs
£16.31 for the pollen filter
£3.68 for the oil filter
+ vat.:frown:

I have been using the same mechanic for years so the labour costs won't be much but I don't think I can justify spending so much more for service parts especially when my rocker covers states that "mini recommends castrol" the £20 saving from the oil alone would buy most of the plugs and filters !
I will buy the oil filter at £5.00 from Mini to keep them in business as £131 approx for basic service parts is just too much.

ianking
26th November 2008, 12:46 PM
yeah the micro filter is the pollen filter under the glove box.

I would recommend the long life plugs as mini states that the plugs are only meant to get changed on an inspection II service and this doesnt come round very often. The long life plugs are designed to last for this long period of time.