PDA

View Full Version : Xbox

camjay
24th November 2008, 08:54 PM
Hi folks. Looking for a bit of advice please. I'm of the space invaders era and so my knowlege of gaming is zilch. My 9 year old wants an X-box for his Christmas but what kind do I get? I thought that there was only one type of x-box but I've noticed there are a few different types Arcade, Pro etc. What should I get? Also what games are suitable for a 9 year old (I'll let him play age 12 games). I stupidly let him play Grand Theft Auto on his PSP until I found out what it was all about and it was promptly taken off him. :frown::frown::frown:

Cheers N

bigcoyote
25th November 2008, 02:12 AM
For my personal use I have a Xbox 360 with a 10 gig storage -- ( I think it was called an Xbox 360 Platinum edition ??? ) - My step son has the 360 with the huge storage thing ( 20 or 100 gig ? )

The main difference is the amount of storage space - the more games you play , the more space you need -- especially if you game on-line.

I am also of the "old school" and am learning fast.....

It is a fun system - all the new systems will blow you away. So much more advanced then the stuff I grew up with ( Atari, Intellivision, etc..)

We also have a Wii -- it is great family fun. The graphics are not as good as the 360 but it is very easy to use -- for us old timers - LOL

Good luck and have FUN!!!!
:thumbs up:

Gismo
25th November 2008, 02:16 AM
As bigcoyote says, the difference is the ability to save to a hard disk, the basic machine comes with a memory card, then progresses in hard disk, the more expensive the system, the bigger the hard drive

Burple
25th November 2008, 11:50 AM
Just what these guys said.. HERE'S (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm) a link to the official Xbox site which explains the differences. Obviously the better spec'd machines cost more.

I'd recommend getting at least the one with the hard drive if you're going to be letting him on Xbox live, or to download any arcade games or game add-ons. You can also download free game demos as well, and the space on the hard drive is essential for that, and having space for all the game saves you might need.. you never know.. you might even find some games you like yourself ;)

Incidentally, to connect to Xbox live, you'll either need a wireless adapter to connect to your Wireless Broadband hub/router, or a UTP cable (a computer network one) - a normal phone broadband cable won't work..
Utp / Network cables should be available from anywhere like Dixons / Currys / PC world /any local computer shop.

There might even be some special edition Xbox's out at this time of year - different face plates/ colour schemes etc.. and plenty of different bundles with different games.

One last thing, if you have an HD tv, you might want to invest in an HD cable to connect the Xbox - to get the best video quality, unless you go for the Xbox Elite (the top of the range black one - that comes with a proper HD cable)... But to start with at least, the quality of the standard kit in the box will be enough.. :thumbs up:

euan
25th November 2008, 12:15 PM
It's very confusing about the different models now, I wish the games companies would go back to when a Xbox/Playstation was a Xbox/Playstation, rather than add to the confusion over which type of Playstation to get . But that's just me being old school ;-)

Games wise, sports are always good - me and my mates have been addicted to Pro Evolution Soccer (PES) since the late 90's, same with Tiger Woods Golf, and because they are multiplayer they're always good at Christmas.

audrey
26th November 2008, 12:53 AM
Bought an X Box 360 the day it came out its been back three times for repairs and its broke again.:frown::frown:Gonna call microsoft tomorrow again getting sick of this its not as if theres any kids in the house playing with it.At least not had to pay for any of the repairs so far and tbh will be refusing to pay for repair this time too so if you buy one (great machine when it works)be sure to get an extended warranty.:yes nod::yes nod:

euan
26th November 2008, 12:34 PM
If your still after one and want the Arcade version, which is the basic one, here's a good deal on it from Woolworths LINK (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1309851&highlight=AMAZON+DISCOUNT)

For the other deals, this is worth a look (http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-xbox-ps3-wii)

Gismo
26th November 2008, 03:58 PM
Bought an X Box 360 the day it came out its been back three times for repairs and its broke again.:frown::frown:Gonna call microsoft tomorrow again getting sick of this its not as if theres any kids in the house playing with it.At least not had to pay for any of the repairs so far and tbh will be refusing to pay for repair this time too so if you buy one (great machine when it works)be sure to get an extended warranty.:yes nod::yes nod:Young Jase (used to be called wee jase, but he's bigger than me :blush:) is on his third, in opinion they are poorly made and do not last long enough.
The PS3 on the other hand is on every day for hours (COD4) and has never let me down, or Jase's one, slightly more expensive, but, you do get a blu ray player with it

euan
26th November 2008, 04:35 PM
Young Jase (used to be called wee jase, but he's bigger than me :blush:) is on his third, in opinion they are poorly made and do not last long enough.
The PS3 on the other hand is on every day for hours (COD4) and has never let me down, or Jase's one, slightly more expensive, but, you do get a blu ray player with it

Not sure they are poory made, though that may well be a case - inherently it's a design flaw which doesn't let the heat vent out well enough that seems to cause the problems, so the box overheats and components fail.

Gismo
26th November 2008, 04:38 PM
Not sure they are poory made, though that may well be a case - inherently it's a design flaw which doesn't let the heat vent out well enough that seems to cause the problems, so the box overheats and components fail.Exactly, thus my poorly made remark is justified, on the last one i even tried the fix that removes the cross part underneath the motherboard but it didn't work :frown:.
Got a good deal on the base model from Woolies and bought that and simply used the hard drive forom the old machine

camjay
26th November 2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys. Your advice has been brilliant! :D I'm not so happy to hear about the faults though but I'll still need to get one(if they're not sold out - had to queue for 6 hours last year for a wii)!! :argh:. My son keeps harping on about it so I don't want to disappoint him especially at christmas.

euan
26th November 2008, 05:31 PM
Don't worry about the faults - just make it's well ventilated (ie, don't stack it on top of other stuff), make sure he turns it off when it's not in use and you should be ok.

There are a few stock trackers online, and stock shouldn't be a problem - John Lewis and Game online have stock at the moment for example.

Ferengo
26th November 2008, 10:59 PM
I've had mine for well over a year and never had a days problem. No-one I know has, but I have heard of it happening. If it does happen then Microsoft will fix it in or out of warrenty. There are also fan kits you can get for around £10 that clip on the back and help cool it down. Small price to pay.

In my opinion it's a better machine than the PS3. The games run smoother, online play is better, it's quieter, downloads a LOT FASTER and the range of games is better. I have a PS3 as well and the only reason I use it is to play these guys at COD and get em with claymores :p. If it wasn't for the NMS crew mostly owning PS3's then it would still be sitting there collecting dust and rarely getting used as a blu ray player.

audrey
27th November 2008, 01:16 AM
Maybe i have just been unlucky with the x box but its not stacked on top of anything else and theres no way you should have to buy something to stop it overheating this shouldn't happen :ragin:Last time it was away for almost five weeks.I also think it is a much better machine than the ps3 but at least (fingers crossed)no probs with that :D

camjay
29th November 2008, 03:16 PM
Hi folks. Managed to get an XBox yesterday - got the one that was on special in Comet - 60G (?) with free extra wireless controller and 4 games - £160. Couldn't get one in Hamilton or Glasgow (its like Armageddon at christmas time), but my mum got me one in Dundee. Thanks again for the advice. x:thumbs up:

audrey
30th November 2008, 12:33 AM
Your son will love it :yes nod::yes nod: