PDA

View Full Version : pre budget report

Scottie
24th November 2008, 07:12 PM
what a con:frown::frown:

euan
24th November 2008, 07:25 PM
Well, I'm undecided yet as I've not read all the details, but does seem to be balancing against breaking policy and what's actually needed - how far can they actually go though? Still, I don't trust his eyebrows...

What would you have wanted him to do Fi?

rpn
24th November 2008, 07:28 PM
I'm not surprised, this government have been the government of choice for stealth taxes. Note that the cut is temporary, in years' time we'll be paying more taxes in the end of day yet again. :ragin: :ragin: :ragin:

Bumble
24th November 2008, 07:29 PM
he's just ruined my week - long hrs and stress to try and sort out the duty increase :ragin::ragin::ragin::ragin:

Scottie
24th November 2008, 08:11 PM
Well, I'm undecided yet as I've not read all the details, but does seem to be balancing against breaking policy and what's actually needed - how far can they actually go though? Still, I don't trust his eyebrows...

What would you have wanted him to do Fi?

abolish council tax, vat, excise duty, rad tax, 5% vat on domestic heat/light, slash the price on fags.:thumbs up:

sedgie
24th November 2008, 09:11 PM
Wot a f**kin fanny!:frown:...reduce vat.....now i have 2 work oot the 15%....no worth the hassel!...for 2.5%:thud:

Craig
24th November 2008, 09:17 PM
I would much rather the union sodded off so that I can get my pay rise that I have been waiting for since Sept... :ragin::ragin::ragin:

as for what the Governnment has done.... well I know what they are trying to do, but at the end of the day we are going to be worse off in the long run. :frown:

euan
24th November 2008, 11:26 PM
abolish council tax, vat, excise duty, rad tax, 5% vat on domestic heat/light, slash the price on fags.:thumbs up:

He may look like a Thunderbird, but I'm not sure he's that good! :D

Thing is, we all know it's going to suck for a while, that's the nature of the beast, and I'm not saying what he's done is the right or the wrong thing, or gone far enough, but at least it's a start. I don't think it's enough though.

It can't be easy. You need to get people buying houses, but the banks won't lend as they've not got any money. So you give them money and then they still won't lend as the shareholders still want a profit. So you reduce the base rate, which helps only if the banks would lend. But as we've already covered, they won't do that.

euan
24th November 2008, 11:27 PM
I would much rather the union sodded off so that I can get my pay rise that I have been waiting for since Sept... :ragin::ragin::ragin:

Be glad it's that short a wait. Some people in my work haven't had a pay rise in three years...

Craig
24th November 2008, 11:31 PM
Be glad it's that short a wait. Some people in my work haven't had a pay rise in three years...

not good.... :frown::frown: I suppose I got spoiled for a few years getting an increment in March and a cost of living rise in Sept... only get a cost of living rise now and just miss it when I don't get it... but it still isn't keeping up with inflation... worse off now than I was 4 years ago... :sad:

Scottie
25th November 2008, 12:00 AM
He may look like a Thunderbird, but I'm not sure he's that good! :D

Thing is, we all know it's going to suck for a while, that's the nature of the beast, and I'm not saying what he's done is the right or the wrong thing, or gone far enough, but at least it's a start. I don't think it's enough though.

It can't be easy. You need to get people buying houses, but the banks won't lend as they've not got any money. So you give them money and then they still won't lend as the shareholders still want a profit. So you reduce the base rate, which helps only if the banks would lend. But as we've already covered, they won't do that.

reducing vat by 2.5% and increasing the excise rate we are no better when buying fuel.

food is not vat qualifying so we don't benefit there.

and for the flyers among us the APD starts for the 1st Nov 2009.

I don't see the reduction in vat sending people out to buy.

AndyP & Lenore
25th November 2008, 12:13 AM
reducing vat by 2.5% and increasing the excise rate we are no better when buying fuel.

Totally agree with you on the VAT reduction Fi. I just don't see it bringing folk out to spend. If you're looking at a £22k car, it's gonna drop the price by £500 or so. It won't swing your decision to actually buy the car, but I guess it may make you decide to stick another £500 of options on it as they would effectively be free.

How much is APD gonna be Fi, do you know?

A.

Scottie
25th November 2008, 12:18 AM
Totally agree with you on the VAT reduction Fi. I just don't see it bringing folk out to spend. If you're looking at a £22k car, it's gonna drop the price by £500 or so. It won't swing your decision to actually buy the car, but I guess it may make you decide to stick another £500 of options on it as they would effectively be free.

How much is APD gonna be Fi, do you know?

A.

It will be structured around four distance bands, set at intervals of 2000 miles from London. This reform will ensure that those flying farther, and therefore contributing more to emissions from aviation, will pay more.

AndyP & Lenore
25th November 2008, 12:24 AM
It will be structured around four distance bands, set at intervals of 2000 miles from London. This reform will ensure that those flying farther, and therefore contributing more to emissions from aviation, will pay more.

To quote your first post.

What a con.:frown:

A.

euan
25th November 2008, 07:27 AM

Nope, I agree with you there. £2.50 off a £100 isn't much in the first place. It's symbolic, but real world doesn't mean much.

As for flying, what are the rates set at? As if it's banded you could end up winning if the rate is lower? Also, BMI have scrapped APD on all flights now, I got a thing from them last week, so you may see others following.

Scottie
25th November 2008, 08:44 AM
Nope, I agree with you there. £2.50 off a £100 isn't much in the first place. It's symbolic, but real world doesn't mean much.

As for flying, what are the rates set at? As if it's banded you could end up winning if the rate is lower? Also, BMI have scrapped APD on all flights now, I got a thing from them last week, so you may see others following.

If APD is in the budget can companies then decide not to introduce it, I'm not sure. It gives no mention of rates.

Crombers
25th November 2008, 08:49 AM
not good.... :frown::frown: I suppose I got spoiled for a few years ... worse off now than I was 4 years ago... :sad:

Acht but you are better looking now :moonie:

euan
25th November 2008, 09:22 AM
not good.... :frown::frown: I suppose I got spoiled for a few years getting an increment in March and a cost of living rise in Sept... only get a cost of living rise now and just miss it when I don't get it... but it still isn't keeping up with inflation... worse off now than I was 4 years ago... :sad:

Some folks haven't even had a cost of living increment, which is hard to deal with. But what was worse was getting a pay rise that was still less than the rate of inflation, so your worse off but only less so.

Still, at least we're still working...

euan
25th November 2008, 09:24 AM
If APD is in the budget can companies then decide not to introduce it, I'm not sure. It gives no mention of rates.

From what I read, they are swallowing it themselves so the government still gets the money and the airline just makes less profit. I guess the aim is to steal customers from BA and go for larger numbers of passengers paying less to equal out the cost of it.

Burple
25th November 2008, 11:57 AM

INCREASE the price on cigarettes, use the extra revenue to fund more help for the NHS that to combat the extra work and hassle that smokers' drug addiction inevitably causes in the first place...

:rolleyes:;):thumbs up::p

rpn
25th November 2008, 01:48 PM
:off topic:

I hear what you're saying here, however based on your principle of argument should alcoholic drinks not be the same to combat the hassles caused by the (mindless) heavy drinkers?

Burple
25th November 2008, 06:03 PM
:off topic:

I hear what you're saying here, however based on your principle of argument should alcoholic drinks not be the same to combat the hassles caused by the (mindless) heavy drinkers?

Yes :thumbs up: Those 'heavy drinkers' who end up in hospital with liver problems etc..

Anyway.. I was only dangling a carrot ;) It's never gonna happen, the government loves all the money it makes from taxing cigarettes and booze far too much to avoid putting the tax up far enough to make both these things prohibitively expensive for their millions of tax paying consumers..:rolleyes::hand: